Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Might not be a Broken Aesop, but "Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker" always struck me as a bit odd in the ending. The movie seemed to be going for a "We can do it if we all work together" theme, probably best shown by the huge random collection of starships coming to aid the Rebellion at the very end.

On the other hand, there's the big fight with Palpatine. They have both Rey and Ben come in together to challenge the basic focal point of the evil of the last 8 movies, both lightsabers are used to overpower Palpatine, Rey states that if Palpatine is being backed by all the Sith then she's backed by all the Jedi, but.... it really comes off as Rey soloing him, instead. If they had just kept Ben/Kylo around until Palpatine was struck down, or maybe a shot of a ton of Force Ghosts behind her after her declaration, or something to that effect, it would be a bit more consistent with what the rest of the movie seemed to be going for.

Not certain what the term would be for the title and ending scene - the trilogy of trilogies was supposed to be the story of the Skywalker family, so having Rey take up and continue the name afterwards, rather than letting the name die out with its last known members, seems weird.

Another one that really got me was the "Clash of the Titans" remake, which basically had Perseus continually rejecting the assistance of the gods, stating that men should be able to do better and the like.... right up until the end where he ends up taking all the gifts anyways and just not acknowledging it. Again, not certain if accurately a Broken Aesop, but felt odd when I watched it.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    On that note, anytime the rest of the JLA goes "Batman is the best/most dangerous of us because he's human."

Dude, the guy's a bazillioniare with more gadgets in his belt that god, knows 873 different martial arts and everything about everything. He's actually LESS belivale than Superman or Martian Manhunter.
    Very true.

Honestly, Superman is the most human of the JLA because he's a humble farmboy.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    Might not be a Broken Aesop, but "Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker" always struck me as a bit odd in the ending. The movie seemed to be going for a "We can do it if we all work together" theme, probably best shown by the huge random collection of starships coming to aid the Rebellion at the very end.

On the other hand, there's the big fight with Palpatine. They have both Rey and Ben come in together to challenge the basic focal point of the evil of the last 8 movies, both lightsabers are used to overpower Palpatine, Rey states that if Palpatine is being backed by all the Sith then she's backed by all the Jedi, but.... it really comes off as Rey soloing him, instead. If they had just kept Ben/Kylo around until Palpatine was struck down, or maybe a shot of a ton of Force Ghosts behind her after her declaration, or something to that effect, it would be a bit more consistent with what the rest of the movie seemed to be going for.

Not certain what the term would be for the title and ending scene - the trilogy of trilogies was supposed to be the story of the Skywalker family, so having Rey take up and continue the name afterwards, rather than letting the name die out with its last known members, seems weird.

Another one that really got me was the "Clash of the Titans" remake, which basically had Perseus continually rejecting the assistance of the gods, stating that men should be able to do better and the like.... right up until the end where he ends up taking all the gifts anyways and just not acknowledging it. Again, not certain if accurately a Broken Aesop, but felt odd when I watched it.
    I think that the bigger Broken Aesop in Rise of Skywalker was how it took the previous movie's implicit moral of how you don't have to be part of some special bloodline to make a difference and then just went, nevermind, you're a Palatine now. Granted, Providing himself was just some guy who was born with a lot of Force Potential, so it wouldn't have been as bad as it would have been if she turned out to have been a natural born Skywalker (aka, people who were descended directly from the Force itself), but it's just another way that bringing Dark Lord Bathrobe back into the franchise was a bad idea, especially in as half-assed a manner as they did it.

Especially since the presence of resurrecting oneself through clones would have for in perfectly with Snoke's Force Link abilities to reveal that he was actually still alive, and possibly legion, or something...
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 08-29-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I think that the bigger Broken Aesop in Rise of Skywalker was how it took the previous movie's implicit moral of how you don't have to be part of some special bloodline to make a difference and then just went, nevermind, you're a Palatine now. Granted, Providing himself was just some guy who was born with a lot of Force Potential, so it wouldn't have been as bad as it would have been if she turned out to have been a natural born Skywalker (aka, people who were descended directly from the Force itself), but it's just another way that bringing Dark Lord Bathrobe back into the franchise was a bad idea, especially in as half-assed a manner as they did it.

Especially since the presence of resurrecting oneself through clones would have for in perfectly with Snoke's Force Link abilities to reveal that he was actually still alive, and possibly legion, or something...
    This is just me conjecturing, but when I was thinking about the series one night I came to the conclusion that the reason they changed Rey's origina was *because* Palpatine came back.

As in, they wanted Palpatine back, they got him, then they were like "Wait, we need Rey to beat him. But her character arc/development, despite having all this Power, does not lend itself to beating him in a satisfactory manner. How could she succeed where Luke and Anakain failed? uhhh...palpatine blood!"

And they rewrote her for that reason, derailing her from TLJ
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I just love the sour expression Oscar Isaac had on his face when he said "Somehow Palpatine has returned.'

I realize it might have been in character, but considering the circumstances as a whole, I often wonder if it wasn't the actor thinking to himself 'I cannot believe this crap.'
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I just love the sour expression Oscar Isaac had on his face when he said "Somehow Palpatine has returned.'

I realize it might have been in character, but considering the circumstances as a whole, I often wonder if it wasn't the actor thinking to himself 'I cannot believe this crap.'
    Honestly, like said above, it'd make more sense if the Snoke who died in TLJ was a cloned body being puppeted by the true Snoke using the Force/science, who had been in hiding to avoid the fate of Palpatine. Would be more easily palatable than the idea that the guy who was thrown down a deep tunnel, where he then EXPLODED shortly before the space station itself EXPLODED just coming back.

But they needed a villain, and Palps had the name recognition and they hoped that seeing him would make people go "Oh ****! It's Palpatine!" But instead they got "That's bullshit! He was super dead at the end of RotJ!"
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

I think the biggest issue with the Palpatine thing is that you have to go to and read the EU stuff to get any kind of explanation for why he's alive.

The answer is basically "everything is clones".

Which itself is dumb and doesn't make sense, but making you jump through hoops to GET to that is even dumber.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I think the biggest issue with the Palpatine thing is that you have to go to and read the EU stuff to get any kind of explanation for why he's alive.

The answer is basically "everything is clones".

Which itself is dumb and doesn't make sense, but making you jump through hoops to GET to that is even dumber.
    I dunno, they were pretty straightforward about "everything is clones" being the answer. The worst part of the Palpatine thing was probably that they had the original announcement being made on Fortnite, and the movie starting assuming that you already saw it and didn't need any more detail about the fact that Palpatine came back off screen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I dunno, they were pretty straightforward about "everything is clones" being the answer. The worst part of the Palpatine thing was probably that they had the original announcement being made on Fortnite, and the movie starting assuming that you already saw it and didn't need any more detail about the fact that Palpatine came back off screen.
    Nah but specifically.

Palpatine is a clone of a clone and he created clones of himself who went on to be Rey's parents because clones but the clone wasn't force sensitive because the art of proper cloning was lost so these are bootleg clones of clones.

Clones.

But you're reinforcing my point with the Fortnite thing.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

The ‘Keeping vital information/A Secret from my friends/loved ones/partner is wrong’ Broken Aesop in Supernatural is staggering.

It happens almost every season. Either Sam or Dean will have something secret going on, will then lie about it, fight each other, than make up at the end with some sort of “Now we tell each other everything” moral only for the next season to roll around and the other person is suddenly hiding a dark secret.

I would say the CW in general plays this one like a broken record, but I’d argue Supernatural seemed to do it the most.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    The ‘Keeping vital information/A Secret from my friends/loved ones/partner is wrong’ Broken Aesop in Supernatural is staggering.

It happens almost every season. Either Sam or Dean will have something secret going on, will then lie about it, fight each other, than make up at the end with some sort of “Now we tell each other everything” moral only for the next season to roll around and the other person is suddenly hiding a dark secret.

I would say the CW in general plays this one like a broken record, but I’d argue Supernatural seemed to do it the most.
    To extend on that, "all superheroes are pathological liars."

Best example.

Kara is working with another report when she gets a text that Nia (Dreamer) is going undercover to try to catch a serial killer.
    Kara: OMG, ... I forgot I left my curling iron on, I must run home quickly and turn it off.

Or, tell the truth.
    Kara: OMG, Nia is going undercover to try and catch the serial killer. I need to talk her out of that idea. I can handle that, you stay here.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland: Alice flees an arranged marriage and ends up in Wonderland. From that point, the whole movie Alice is told she has a prophecy that she is needed to fulfill, and every time she tries to fight against it it all goes wrong and she has to get back on the path set before her, leading up to the final battle where she literally plays second fiddle to an inanimate object. Basically the fairly unusual and out of date moral up to this point is that Alice needs to sublimate her desires to follow the plans of her family and go through with the arranged marriage, only to have her reject that marriage in the end

Ultimate Member

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier kind of got muddled at the end.

They were trying to go for the "I'm a hero and i understand you villain and I will not fight you".

This didn't make any sense considering the Flag Smashers had attacked and killed innocent people.

And Sam was ready to take down John Walker when he had understandable reasons for acting the way he did.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Very true.

Honestly, Superman is the most human of the JLA because he's a humble farmboy.
    Totally feeling you there, man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Powerful storytelling is right at your fingertips.

Using the Browse (random) Function:

The Female Feline, Male Mutt teamup in a somber Grave-Marking Scene to go to an Eldritch Location because The Dead Rise to Advertise. Once there, they defeat the Absurdly Elderly Mother with Inertial Impalement and Tank Goodness in an Orgy of Evidence Room.

However, the moral of the story is that the Hero With Bad Publicity will be the Broken Pedestal for Internal Affairs and they only escape with the Kiss of Distraction and Fainting.
    Oh you dirty perv, you beast in name and nature, you abandoned pet in a box you absurdly elderly mudder, I could go on but I tire of browsing the trope list beyond A.