All-New Member

Smile Batman : Rebirth vs Infinite Frontier

Hello,

I'am fairly new into DC. Some of the concepts like relaunch are quite strange for me, so I have couple of questions, mainly about Batman

1. Is a good idea to start reading Batman (and Batfamily) from Infinite Frontier? I mean starting Batman 2016 on issue #86 and skipping whole Rebirth part. I would like not to read Rebirth because its a lot of material there. Infinite Froniter is fresh, so its an opportunity to be up to date

2. Would I lost too much, if I would start Infinite Frontier without Rebirth? Is the plot connected with each other?

3. I would be greatful If anyone would explain why exactly DC created another "relaunch"

Infinite Frontier is a clear jump off point as long as you know that Bruce lost most of his money / assets and Alfred is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Infinite Frontier is a clear jump off point as long as you know that Bruce lost most of his money / assets and Alfred is dead.
    When you say "jump off point", are you talking a good place to start or more along the lines of "Abandon ship! She's going down!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by x_Drake_x View Post
    Hello,

I'am fairly new into DC. Some of the concepts like relaunch are quite strange for me, so I have couple of questions, mainly about Batman

1. Is a good idea to start reading Batman (and Batfamily) from Infinite Frontier? I mean starting Batman 2016 on issue #86 and skipping whole Rebirth part. I would like not to read Rebirth because its a lot of material there. Infinite Froniter is fresh, so its an opportunity to be up to date

2. Would I lost too much, if I would start Infinite Frontier without Rebirth? Is the plot connected with each other?

3. I would be greatful If anyone would explain why exactly DC created another "relaunch"
    For me and a good chunk of the fandom, Rebirth / Tom King was "bad" and Infinite Frontier / James Tynion is "mediocre" so I would advise just skipping to #86. However, what is your goal? Is it just to get current with the Batman books? Or is it to read a great Batman run? Because if you just want to read a great Batman run, I'd probably start with Grant Morrison. And others will have tons of recommendations for you as well. And I believe there's a pinned thread for such stuff, too.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hello,

1. The current Batman writer started before Infinite and some of the new characters were introduced in Batman and Detective leading up to Infinite so I'd say start there.

2. The plot is connected as mentioned above, but only Batman, Detective, and Catwoman, and only shortly before Infinite. Robin and Harley launch anew, with the lead up told in Batman and Detective right before and after Infinite. Nightwing pretty much starts new. The other character series are canceled to be combined under Batman Urban Legends, basically starting their new status quo there.

3. DC lost a lot of their shares during New 52, so they relaunch Rebirth to attract the old costumers they lost. The story of Rebirth was about DC characters finding out someone messing with their history which resulted in New 52, and they attempt to fix it. Infinite Frontier is the result of that long and withdrawn effort, but not returning it to the original timeline. Instead it basically created a new world that incorporate elements of all past continuity.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-21-2021 at 06:34 PM.

All-New Member

Thank you guys for your answers I decided to skip Rebirth and focus on IF (just to be familiar with the newest story/concepts).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Thank you guys for your answers I decided to skip Rebirth and focus on IF (just to be familiar with the newest story/concepts).
    I forgot. DC actually makes it easy to catch up on Batman because they collect Tynion's story starting with Vol. 1 again.

Batman Vol. 1 Their Dark Designs
    Batman Vol. 2 The Joker War
    Batman Vol. 3 Ghost Stories
    Batman Vol. 4 The Cowardly Lot

Infinite Frontier starts in Vol. 4