Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jace has no idea he's basically mimicking Bruce with the fake public persona and secret Batcave .

"Had any regular people actually seen him in maybe six years?" Um...I would assume so? Urban myth Batman hasn't been a thing in forever. Jace seems kind of out of touch.
    How long had he been out of the country before his father brought him back, and how long has he been back in Gotham City at this point?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh so that's why he covers his mouth. He knows that moustache gonna look really funny under Batman cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I think Jace's point is that Batman isn't usually seen in public that often, which is kind of funny when you think about it, most of his battles to protect the city take place out of the public eye, so people don't really see Batman that much in Gotham they're more likely to see the Batmobile racing through the streets or the Bat- Plane through the sky, especially when he operates in the dead of night. Where with Jace he seems like he's going to be on the streets more, tackling street crimes frequently, letting Gotham see that his Batman is out there protecting them from all manners of threats but not hidden in the shadows like Bruce usually is, which is demonstrated by him riding a motorcycle for all of Gotham to see.
    The sense I'm getting is he's been away from Gotham a really long time and, having not been there for so long, is assuming a lot about how Batman operates because he himself hasn't actually been in the nitty gritty of the city until recently so he's just going by what he's seen second-hand or what he knows from early years Batman and thinking he can be different even when he's unconsciously just doing the same thing Batman does down to the secret identity.

Incredible Member

A take away for me is that Ridley is trying to make Jace distinct from Bruce in how he goes about being Batman. Which is a plus.

The narration of "this is the mask I wear" initially made me go ugh because it sounded so much like the "Bruce Wayne is the mask" shtick. Having re-read it though, it appears it's more a case of 2 Jace's - the one with the mission etc and the one to please his dad (as against Batman being the real mask).

Still looking forward to this. Pray it's as good as I hope/want.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The sense I'm getting is he's been away from Gotham a really long time and, having not been there for so long, is assuming a lot about how Batman operates because he himself hasn't actually been in the nitty gritty of the city until recently so he's just going by what he's seen second-hand or what he knows from early years Batman and thinking he can be different even when he's unconsciously just doing the same thing Batman does down to the secret identity.
    Oh there's definitely a lot of bias there, especially with his issues with his father and his hand in helping shape Batman who in his eyes is the private soldier at the beck and call of Bruce Wayne. But with the limited information he has and he's probably researched, I figure there's enough information about how Batman operates in the public eye that he'd want his Batman to differentiate. He seemingly wants to be more involved and not only seen from some high tech military vehicles. You can say he's out of touch, but from what we know of Jace it makes sense he'd come to these conclusions not knowing the full picture of what Batman/Bruce do and are.

The art looks really good, but it's pretty bad that Coipel is only around for one issue. I miss the time artists used to draw at least one arc before leaving the book.
    I will give this series/concept one more try. I dropped Second Son because I was bored and the #0 issue did nothing to change my mind. I still don't see what makes Jace unique.
    Luke Fox stepping up would've made more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    A take away for me is that Ridley is trying to make Jace distinct from Bruce in how he goes about being Batman. Which is a plus.

The narration of "this is the mask I wear" initially made me go ugh because it sounded so much like the "Bruce Wayne is the mask" shtick. Having re-read it though, it appears it's more a case of 2 Jace's - the one with the mission etc and the one to please his dad (as against Batman being the real mask).

Still looking forward to this. Pray it's as good as I hope/want.
    Feels like an interesting riff on Bruce's secret identity.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Oh there's definitely a lot of bias there, especially with his issues with his father and his hand in helping shape Batman who in his eyes is the private soldier at the beck and call of Bruce Wayne. But with the limited information he has and he's probably researched, I figure there's enough information about how Batman operates in the public eye that he'd want his Batman to differentiate. He seemingly wants to be more involved and not only seen from some high tech military vehicles. You can say he's out of touch, but from what we know of Jace it makes sense he'd come to these conclusions not knowing the full picture of what Batman/Bruce do and are.
    I guess it really does beg a lot of questions about how people see Batman in-universe, especially when you have to take into account the Justice League stuff and how he's depicted on-panel as operating with a bunch of other, public, sidekicks or supporting heroes. Like does Jace assume they all work for Bruce Wayne and are supplied by Wayne Enterprises?

It's an interesting contrast to how he viewed it in Future State.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    The art looks really good, but it's pretty bad that Coipel is only around for one issue. I miss the time artists used to draw at least one arc before leaving the book.
    I will give this series/concept one more try. I dropped Second Son because I was bored and the #0 issue did nothing to change my mind. I still don't see what makes Jace unique.
    Luke Fox stepping up would've made more sense to me.
    I don't see how you could read Second Son and not see what makes him unique, to be honest. Especially if you wanted Luke to step up...

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I don't see how you could read Second Son and not see what makes him unique, to be honest. Especially if you wanted Luke to step up...
    As I said, I dropped Second Son. I think it was with the third digital release.

To be fair, that's like if you walked out of the theaters during the first 15min of the Dark Knight, then saying:
    "I still don't see what makes Ledger's Joker unique. Casting Jack Nicholson again would of made more sense to me."
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Then I wouldn't really comment on the character's "uniqueness" if you haven't finished his literal debut series on Earth-0.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 09-11-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Then I wouldn't really comment on the character's "uniqueness" if you haven't finished his literal debut series on Earth-0.
    Hey, if he wasn't interested after the third digital installment, he can still comment on what he got out of the three issues he did read.

It's not his responsibility to plow more money / time into a character if the writer failed to make the story appealing enough to him to continue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hey, if he wasn't interested after the third digital installment, he can still comment on what he got out of the three issues he did read.

It's not his responsibility to plow more money / time into a character if the writer failed to make the story appealing enough to him to continue with it.
    Sure, but if you say, "I still don't see what makes Jace unique," while not finishing the series that establishes his character that's not the fault of any series or writer, that's on you. Especially since three digital issues is basically just one issue. There's literally 9 more after that.

I can comment on what I have read. And since the series was a digital first, the writer should have tried to make all chapters compelling enough for readers to continue, no matter if those digital chapters didn't amount to many print comics. I bought 3 issues of a product I didn't like (4 counting the #0). It's not up to you if I can comment on something I've purchased lol.

I can comment on what I have read. And since the series was a digital first, the writer should have tried to make all chapters compelling enough for readers to continue, no matter if those digital chapters didn't amount to many print comics. I bought 3 issues of a product I didn't like (4 counting the #0). It's not up to you if I can comment on something I've purchased lol.
    It just wasn't personally compelling to you. That's fine, though, but don't act as if it makes any sense that you're critiquing a character whose most important content you haven't read. You can comment on it all you want, it's just going to boil down to other people telling you the same thing I am.

Like, the third issue doesn't even cover any of Jace's backstory or motivations.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 09-11-2021 at 08:16 PM.