Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Oh there's definitely a lot of bias there, especially with his issues with his father and his hand in helping shape Batman who in his eyes is the private soldier at the beck and call of Bruce Wayne. But with the limited information he has and he's probably researched, I figure there's enough information about how Batman operates in the public eye that he'd want his Batman to differentiate. He seemingly wants to be more involved and not only seen from some high tech military vehicles. You can say he's out of touch, but from what we know of Jace it makes sense he'd come to these conclusions not knowing the full picture of what Batman/Bruce do and are.
    I'm not sure if Batman Inc. has been retconned or anything, but that was high profile enough so if Jace thinks that Batman is some kind of Merc in Bruce Wayne's employ, he would have had reason to.

That had been part of the plan with Batman, Inc.

Suddenly I'm thinking of the misconception that Batman only protects rich people...

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    It just wasn't personally compelling to you. That's fine, though, but don't act as if it makes any sense that you're critiquing a character whose most important content you haven't read. You can comment on it all you want, it's just going to boil down to other people telling you the same thing I am.

Like, the third issue doesn't even cover any of Jace's backstory or motivations.
    Gee, you certainly picked the right username. My comment was about how, after having read the books I did, I still didn't find the character compelling. I'm not pretending to be some authority on the matter, just giving my own two cents just like everyone else in this forum. Between his Future State books, 1/3 of Second Son and #0, I actually have read most of the books starring the character and I'm still not sold on him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Gee, you certainly picked the right username. My comment was about how, after having read the books I did, I still didn't find the character compelling. I'm not pretending to be some authority on the matter, just giving my own two cents just like everyone else in this forum. Between his Future State books, 1/3 of Second Son and #0, I actually have read most of the books starring the character and I'm still not sold on him.
    I agree with you. I think many fans aren't sold on Jace (or even actively dislike him) and the reason his series is launching as part of this big event is to attract more readers who follow this event.

I like Jace as a character but Second Son's pacing does drag along. It works as a family drama with Lucius and Tanya overshadowing Arkadine as the antagonists. It feels like a tv pilot with a more grounded take. It might be more geared to newer fans who come in from The CW but that's just a guess.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-12-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I like Jace as a character but Second Son's pacing does drag along. It works as a family drama with Lucius and Tanya overshadowing Arkadine as the antagonists . . .
    And I was quite unhappy with the way Lucius (and Luke) had been used.
    I use to like Lucius back in the day, but right now he seems quite unlikable to me.
    (Though I have no idea how much of the blame for that belongs to Ridley or how much really is the fault of Tynion and what Lucius was put through during "The Joker War" which I never read and don't currently have any desire to do so.)

The Fox Family seem really...tense these days.

Lucius is straight up a villain and is being portrayed as such. He snapped after Joker War and hasn’t healed from it yet.

Great art from Copiel but I can’t help being miffed he’s only on for one issue and then bailing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lucius is straight up a villain and is being portrayed as such. He snapped after Joker War and hasn’t healed from it yet.

Great art from Copiel but I can’t help being miffed he’s only on for one issue and then bailing.
    Pretty sure he'll return.

Definitely a reason for me to avoid any more of this.

But I also guess I shouldn't be surprised since DC has been trashing anything I liked in the past . . .

One of the biggest issues I see is that Jace just comes off as too weak, mentally and as a fighter. It also doesn't help that he's being trained in hand-to-hand combat by a swordswoman. To me, that was a really weird choice.

The one thing Jace has that makes him really unique is that he's an engineer. It would be dope to see him create his own gadgets that make his style as a cape crusader different, and in its own way, compelling.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Definitely a reason for me to avoid any more of this.

But I also guess I shouldn't be surprised since DC has been trashing anything I liked in the past . . .
    Lmao since when is Lucius a character anyone cares all that much about?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Lmao since when is Lucius a character anyone cares all that much about?
    Since the Nolan trilogy?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I like Jace as a character but Second Son's pacing does drag along. It works as a family drama with Lucius and Tanya overshadowing Arkadine as the antagonists. It feels like a tv pilot with a more grounded take. It might be more geared to newer fans who come in from The CW but that's just a guess.
    Presumably anyone coming in due to the Batwoman tv show would be more wondering why Luke is being treated as the useless one?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    One of the biggest issues I see is that Jace just comes off as too weak, mentally and as a fighter. It also doesn't help that he's being trained in hand-to-hand combat by a swordswoman. To me, that was a really weird choice.

The one thing Jace has that makes him really unique is that he's an engineer. It would be dope to see him create his own gadgets that make his style as a cape crusader different, and in its own way, compelling.

^^ How d'you mean? Like, in what context?

(1) in comparison to [insert existing Bat character];
    (2) to wear a Batman suit; and/or
    (3) ...

Also, and I stand to be corrected, think Katana (irrespective of her codename) is more than just a "swordswoman".