Page 45 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Different people have different ideas of what is better used though. It’s okay to have different ideas and to discuss them.

It’s not good if you think your preferences are exclusively right though. I have grown to love the Scarlet Witch and Vision as a couple, mainly because of the MCU. Someone else could want her with Wonder Man. If someone else wants her with Wonder MSN, I would not say how terrible that was or whatever. That person had the right to their preferences, just like I have the right to mine.

Now obviously there are people who prefer Wanda as not related to Magneto and not a mutant. I quite clearly am not one of them, as I love her as Magneto’s daughter and a mutant. But just because we have different preferences doesn’t mean we have to fight and it seems like there are people who itch for fights just because someone likes something they don’t.

That’s silly.
    People say that HoM was destructive because it was. The character was factually changed and used as a plot device for the story. Then thrown away for 7 years, and was never restored to her previous status. That's just a thing that happened. It's not like saying you like the color blue.

Saying that the Mags link was damaging is just saying what happened in canon. And it shouldn't be offensive. But I guess going through actual canon is offensive also these days. You have to live on Tumblr and hold onto Magnus family art in fandom anymore. Or else that's not inviting.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Liking the Magnus family doesnīt mean you are a tumblr fan who likes fanon or liking HoM itīs just a personal choice and itīs not a precondition that should stop Wanda fans for linking Wanda imo just like hating HoM and hating the magnus family link is not a precondition that stops anyone from being a Wanda fan either. I donīt think thereīs any victimization going on here, itīs just that some fans act as if they have control over what a Wanda fan should think or else they are not "true" fans when both can just accept their differences and go on appreciating Wanda in this or the thread over Marvel forums.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-07-2021 at 03:30 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Liking the Magnus family doesnīt mean you are a tumblr fan who likes fanon or liking HoM itīs just a personal choice and itīs not a precondition that should stop Wanda fans for linking Wanda imo just like hating HoM and hating the magnus family link is not a precondition that stops anyone from being a Wanda fan either. I donīt think thereīs any victimization going on here, itīs just that some fans act as if they have control over what a Wanda fan should think or else they are not "true" fans when both can just accept their differences and go on appreciating Wanda in this or the thread over Marvel forums.
    Just to be clear:

I do not have control over what other people like nor do I think that.

I do not have control over Wanda. They could make her a mutant and Mags kid again tomorrow. They could also kill her off permanently. They could turn her into an alien blob in space or something. I only have the freedom to not like it.

I do not think some people should not be in fandom because of disagreeing.

I do not think you need to know every single detail about the character to be her fan.

I just think it feels like insanity sometimes when discussing canon and someone comes back with something that is headcanon. Like that she was raised by Mags and that she was central to mutants or something like that. It's fine if you want her to be. But she hasn't been.

And it also should be fine for me to say that I don't want any of that. Disagreements happen on forums. Otherwise it's just an echo chamber.

Gatekeeping stemmed from nerds keeping mostly women and minorities out of nerd circles. I'm not interested in keeping people out of nerd circles. But I'm also not into pretending things happened in lore that didn't. So I'm never gonna agree it happened if it didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    No one is telling anyone to get out of the fandom by saying what we prefer for the character. Don't be so soft.

I feel like I started a war & kinda dipped I think gatekeeping was the wrong word what I was saying was her fandom & this is MCU too want's her to go a certain direction or they don't want her to do anything else, that's all I meant & that's all I thought it meant, wrong word I suppose. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Journey; 09-07-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Gatekeeping is when fans try to keep other fans out of a fandom. Like they don't belong. I do not believe people don't belong in Wanda's fandom. It's just gotten way bigger and there are gonna be more disagreements because there are more of a variety of people in it. Disagreements are not saying get out.

Gatekeeping is when fans try to keep other fans out of a fandom. Like they don't belong. I do not believe people don't belong in Wanda's fandom. It's just gotten way bigger and there are gonna be more disagreements because there are more of a variety of people in it. Disagreements are not saying get out.
    Oh well just look up dats not what I meant.

Last edited by Journey; 09-07-2021 at 03:47 PM.

Just to be clear:

I do not have control over what other people like nor do I think that.

I do not have control over Wanda. They could make her a mutant and Mags kid again tomorrow. They could also kill her off permanently. They could turn her into an alien blob in space or something. I only have the freedom to not like it.

I do not think some people should not be in fandom because of disagreeing.

I do not think you need to know every single detail about the character to be her fan.

I just think it feels like insanity sometimes when discussing canon and someone comes back with something that is headcanon. Like that she was raised by Mags and that she was central to mutants or something like that. It's fine if you want her to be. But she hasn't been.

And it also should be fine for me to say that I don't want any of that. Disagreements happen on forums. Otherwise it's just an echo chamber.

Gatekeeping stemmed from nerds keeping mostly women and minorities out of nerd circles. I'm not interested in keeping people out of nerd circles. But I'm also not into pretending things happened in lore that didn't. So I'm never gonna agree it happened if it didn't.
    I donīt think anyone has said they believe Wanda was raised by Magneto(Thatīs just Bendis), most just like the idea of a connection being there, thatīs all and I donīt think they should justify their pov, canon has given good and bad examples for the connection since the 80īs so itīs logical not all fans agree itīs a good or bad thing. My point is just that maybe fans should just agree to disagree in the way they see canon and go on to appreciate Wanda in her appreciation thread.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-07-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

I donīt think anyone has said the believe Wanda was raised by Magneto, most just like the idea of a connection being there, thatīs all and I donīt think they should justify their pov, canon has given good and bad examples for the connection since the 80īs so itīs logical not all fans agree itīs a good or bad thing.

My point is just that maybe fans should just agree to disagree in the way they see canon and go on to appreciate Wanda in her appreciation thread.
    Oh they did. I was in that discussion. It was insanity. They claimed Wanda was raised by him because he was still a father to her during her time in the Brotherhood. I'm not even joking lol.

You are probably right about the second point.

Oh they did. I was in that discussion. It was insanity. They claimed Wanda was raised by him because he was still a father to her during her time in the Brotherhood. I'm not even joking lol.

You are probably right about the second point.
    Could you quote that?, I just read some previous comments and I donīt remember anyone saying this.

Could you quote that?, I just read some previous comments and I donīt remember anyone saying this.
    It's too far back for me to find it. It was in another thread. It was probably a few weeks ago now.

I don't know if gatekeeping is the term or not, but it does feel like there's this kind of element in Wanda's fandom. And there are even different types. In some circles, you'd be burned at the stake if you're a fan of her MCU version. And usually among those there is those who say her relationship with Vision was abusive and anyone who likes it is supporting toxic relationships. I guess there are some who are really about the Magnus family thing and say that those who aren't and don't totally ignore the retcon are erasing her jewish identity... Here on CBR it's basically just the opposite of that, a lot of people all against her being a mutant/Magneto's daughter.

I understand why a character like her, with many origins, retcons, adaptations and cultural backgrounds is divisive and has a lot of different fans. I think it's fine for people to have different takes. But it's all about the attitude. And sometimes people are hellbent on saying that their side is the correct one and have this air of arrogance that anyone who doesn't see this clear truth it's a dumbass or a fake fan. It's one thing to have discussions/arguments. But you don't need to create one every time someone who thinks differently merely expresses their point of view. Sometimes people will say something that's not really invitation for an argument at all but people will feel the need to randomly come at them. And most of the time it's stuff that has already been said... Multiple times, and sometimes even between the same people, usually in the same thread. It's reductive, and it's tiring.

For one, with this thread being in the X-Books forum (and not the only Wanda thread but an alterate one), which in itself is kinda taking the stand of considering her a character related to the franchise, I think it'd be nice and logical not to use this for the "Wanda should NEVER be in any x-books and mutant-related stories or the X-Office or close to Magneto EVER!" rethoric.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 09-07-2021 at 04:12 PM.

It's too far back for me to find it. It was in another thread. It was probably a few weeks ago now.
    ok.

I just think as fans it would be better to get past that and appreciate her anyway, because you are right, we donīt really have any control over what Marvel will do with her, like I can have some clues about whatīs going to happen with her but this doesnīt mean thatīs whatīs going to happen, I am not exactly enjoying ToM but I hope it ends better than it began or at least closes the HoM chapter so the characters can finally advance and I am also excited to see her on Darkhold, I hope that story does well so we can see more stories by her being a magical agent in her own right. Sheīs also going to appear on MoM with Dr Strange so right now there are reasons to be excited for Wandaīs so lest appreciate that imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't know if gatekeeping is the term or not, but it does feel like there's this kind of element in Wanda's fandom. And there are even different types. In some circles, you'd be burned at the stake if you're a fan of her MCU version. And usually among those too there is those who say her relationship with Vision was abusive and anyone who likes it is supporting toxic relationships. I guess there are some who are really about the Magnus family thing and say that those who aren't and don't ignore the retcon are erasing her jewish identity... Here on CBR it's basically the opposite of that, all against her being a mutant/Magneto's daughter.

I understand why a character like her, with many origins, retcons, adaptations and cultural backgrounds is divisive and has a lot of different fans. I think it's fine for people to have different takes. But it's all about the attitude. And sometimes people are hellbent on saying that their side is the correct one and having this air of arrogance that anyone who doesn't see this clear truth it's a dumbass or a fake fan. It's one thing to have discussions/arguments. But you don't need to create one every time someone who thinks differently merely expresses their point of view. Sometimes people will say something that's not really invitation for an argument at all but people will feel the need to randomly come at them. And most of the time it's stuff that has already been said... Multiple times, and sometimes even between the same people, usually in the same thread. It's reductive, and it's tiring.

For one, with this thread being in the X-Books forum (and not the only Wanda thread but an alterate one), which in itself is kinda taking the stand of considering her a character related to the franchise, I think it'd be nice and logical not to use this for the "Wanda should NEVER be in any x-books and mutant-related stories or the X-Office or close to Magneto EVER!" rethoric.
    I saw someone say that the Vision relationship was more abusive than Wonder Man and that weirds me out. Like they had problems but it wasn't THAT bad. And I think comics only gave them those problems for drama. And because Byrne hated the relationship. I love the MCU version of Wanda. It has it's problems, sure. But so far I don't have too many issues. And I like movie Vision more. Comics Vision did become a big jerk at times (especially how he treated Jocasta). But movie version seems to be pretty chill.

I also don't think Wanda shouldn't be in the X-books ever. I just don't think her narrative should be controlled by it. It's too bad that she's not like Wolverine where she can be everywhere even while dead. But I'll take her being in Darkhold set before her death at the very least. Hopefully she fairs better there.

ok.

I just think as fans it would be better to get past that and appreciate her anyway, because you are right, we donīt really have any control over what Marvel will do with her, like I can have some clues about whatīs going to happen with her but this doesnīt mean thatīs whatīs going to happen, I am not exactly enjoying ToM but I hope it ends better than it began or at least closes the HoM chapter so the characters can finally advance and I am also excited to see her on Darkhold, I hope that story does well so we can see more stories by her being a magical agent in her own right. Sheīs also going to appear on MoM with Dr Strange so right now there are reasons to be excited for Wandaīs so lest appreciate that imo.
    Yeah I do hope it finally ends that chapter. And yes, MCU stuff and Darkhold (so far) are reasons to be positive.

The new Midnight Suns game less so it seems. Seems like she's gonna be possessed in that too. Caused by Lilith and her Chthon obsession. >_>

Wanda’s relationship to Magneto helped her outside of comics, oddly enough, due to mere exposure

Comics? Not so much. It drove a story here and there, but was mostly inconsequential.

I’m ambivalent personally. Stories could be mined, for sure, but I liked it best when Wanda gave no fucks about Eric, and only viewed him as a sperm donor.