Page 71 of 87 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1304

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    People in real life do work things out with difficult parents.
    People in real life also don’t work things out with “difficult parents” that mentally and physically abused them and people they love.

It’s OK for Wanda to hate Magneto.

What’s the point of holding on to hate? It does nothing for anyone, especially Wanda, in the long run. Really I would like them to be a functioning family. People can move on and forgive abusers, but not want anything to do with them and cut all ties or start to build a positive relationship. Hatred takes up too much energy for someone who isn’t worth it.
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 10-13-2021 at 06:46 PM.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    What’s the point of holding on to hate? It does nothing for anyone, especially Wanda, in the long run. Really I would like them to be a functioning family. People can move on and forgive abusers, but not want anything to do with them. Hatred takes up too much energy for someone who isn’t worth it.
    She doesn’t have to hold onto it. She can hate Magneto and not give it a second or third thought, until someone asks her opinion on him. Which is basically what she did for much of her comic book history.

I hated my mother for what she did to me and my siblings. I didn’t ponder on it daily. After so many years, my mother barely entered into my mind. It was never something I worried about. Hatred doesn’t have to consume someone. My sister, on the other hand, is the one who tried to forgive my mother, and was wracked with guilt, mental anguish, and depression.

And I’m confused: do you want them to be a functioning family, or do you want Wanda to forgive Magneto but not have anything to do with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    She doesn’t have to hold onto it. She can hate Magneto and not give it a second or third thought, until someone asks her opinion on him. Which is basically what she did for much of her comic book history.

I hated my mother for what she did to me and my siblings. I didn’t ponder on it daily. After so many years, my mother barely entered into my mind. It was never something I worried about. Hatred doesn’t have to consume someone. My sister, on the other hand, is the one who tried to forgive my mother, and was wracked with guilt, mental anguish, and depression.

And I’m confused: do you want them to be a functioning family, or do you want Wanda to forgive Magneto but not have anything to do with him?
    Really with that part I generally speaking about the options some take when they have been abused and have healed. I do want them to be a functioning family cause Wanda has shown feelings of both hatred and familial feelings toward him even in previous years. I just it rather be positive and uplifting.

Really with that part I generally speaking about the options some take when they have been abused and have healed. I do want them to be a functioning family cause Wanda has shown feelings of both hatred and familial feelings toward him even in previous years. I just it rather be positive and uplifting.
    I get that. I really do. But the parts that show Wanda caring about the significance of her relationship with Magneto are outweighed by the parts where she’s expressed ambivalence or outright discontent.

And if you want the relationship to improve, I think it needs to be shown. Wanda merely dying from an (as of yet) unnamed assassin and then suddenly her and Magneto liking each other after she’s resurrected is not a natural progression of things. At what point do you (yes, you the person I’m quoting) draw the line and say, “OK this is just not adhering to canon”?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I get that. I really do. But the parts that show Wanda caring about the significance of her relationship with Magneto are outweighed by the parts where she’s expressed ambivalence or outright discontent.

And if you want the relationship to improve, I think it needs to be shown. Wanda merely dying from an (as of yet) unnamed assassin and then suddenly her and Magneto liking each other after she’s resurrected is not a natural progression of things. At what point do you (yes, you the person I’m quoting) draw the line and say, “OK this is just not adhering to canon”?
    Oh I agree that it should have been slow and gradual journey that should have been built up instead of just thrown together . Only time I say somethings not adhering to canon if characterization doesn’t adhere to any personality that’s been shown in the past. How Wanda is being shown in ToM I can believe because she is confident, but like everyone she does have vulnerabilities that are hard to get past or certain things she hasn’t completely confronted and it makes her uncertain. So her and Magneto reconciling is believable just wish it did have build up other than that I have no problem with it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    People in real life do work things out with difficult parents.
    People in real life also peace out and cut ties.
    Abandoned children saying "thanks but no" to heartbroken parents(whether they fake it or not) are genuinely cathartic to watch.

Extraordinary Member

What’s the point of holding on to hate? It does nothing for anyone, especially Wanda, in the long run. Really I would like them to be a functioning family. People can move on and forgive abusers, but not want anything to do with them and cut all ties or start to build a positive relationship. Hatred takes up too much energy for someone who isn’t worth it.
    How about a human being's basic survival mechanism?
    You know what things and people will hurt you so you simply avoid them if you can.

Nah hatred is fine. I don't subscribe to the Oprah way of forgive everyone and let them walk all over you to look like the better person. Screw that. Cut ties with abusive people. It's much more relieving.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Nah hatred is fine. I don't subscribe to the Oprah way of forgive everyone and let them walk all over you to look like the better person. Screw that. Cut ties with abusive people. It's much more relieving.
    So much this. Magneto abused Wanda before he knew she was his daughter. That isn’t absolved just because the biological relation is learned about afterward. If anything, Wanda learned her biological sperm donor was an abusive *******.

Forgiveness doesn’t necessitate being a pushover or punching bag. It can be she forgave him just won’t trust him or have any kind of relationship until he has shown through actions that he has changed. People will hate others till the end of days; Others will forgive and won’t have anything to do with the abuser. Then there are times when the work has been put in by the abuser and the victim forgave them and they have a very nice and civil relationship. Personally for me I believe hatred is giving energy to someone who doesn’t deserve it, though I can understand the circumstances of others who won’t ever forgive and that is their right. Forgiveness doesn’t absolve an abusers actions that has never been what forgiveness is.

Ultimate Member

Forgiveness is generally a good thing, but reconciliation isn't always possible, and considering how media have often ignored the problematic influence of abusive or manipulative family, I can't say anyone should rush into reconciling with problematic family members.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I agree with this when it comes to real life but not my comics! I want drama.

So yes, in real life, Wanda should have nothing to do with Magneto, but this is comics, of course I want them to have a relationship where she forgives him (at least until his next turn as a villain!).

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I agree with this when it comes to real life but not my comics! I want drama.

So yes, in real life, Wanda should have nothing to do with Magneto, but this is comics, of course I want them to have a relationship where she forgives him (at least until his next turn as a villain!).
    I want Wanda to finally be free of trauma. Not be forced to endure more of it. If any character deserves a break from mental trauma, it's her.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 10-14-2021 at 08:13 AM.

Forgiveness doesn’t necessitate being a pushover or punching bag. It can be she forgave him just won’t trust him or have any kind of relationship until he has shown through actions that he has changed. People will hate others till the end of days; Others will forgive and won’t have anything to do with the abuser. Then there are times when the work has been put in by the abuser and the victim forgave them and they have a very nice and civil relationship. Personally for me I believe hatred is giving energy to someone who doesn’t deserve it, though I can understand the circumstances of others who won’t ever forgive and that is their right. Forgiveness doesn’t absolve an abusers actions that has never been what forgiveness is.
    That was where she was. Which was why she kept her distance. Hating someone takes no active energy. You just disregard them. They don't exist. When you eliminate them from your life, they can't create anymore problems to put energy towards.