Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

A better way to phrase this thread might be, is it time to end objectification of people from most television and movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I like how Jim Kirk would always lose his shirt. And I've been watching THE WILD WILD WEST and notice that Jim West has the same condition.

As for Paul Verhoeven, he's a cinematic genius!
    To quote Galaxy Quest: "I see you ,managed to get your shirt off again".
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I can go with you on Kate Winselt- that was a beautiful scene, and the nudity was tastefully done.

But Brosnan in Die Another Day?! I would have gone with Goldeneye myself.
    Yes, Kate was beautiful very tasteful and actually very sensual than sexy.

Brosman just looked so good in die another day, considering he has just escaped been captured was supposed to be gross and dirty after 14 months been captured and his hair grew out like a wild cave man but he still looked so good and sexy.

Depends on whether it serves the story or not. The 300 is kind of the ultimate shirtless movie for guys, but isn't that a realistic depiction of the Spartans? Thor going shirtless definitely seems like a Thor thing to do. Space Girl going topless in Lifeforce - same.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Depends on whether it serves the story or not. The 300 is kind of the ultimate shirtless movie for guys, but isn't that a realistic depiction of the Spartans?
    Eh, no, they definitely had chest armor and skirts, and some had thigh armor. All Spartans definitely had more than just bracers and shin guards.

Retired

Valérie Kaprisky had one scene in BREATHLESS (1983) that always stayed with me. By the time Jim McBride's BREATHLESS came out, I had already seen Kaprisky in three different French movies where she's completely starkers. So seeing her birthday suit (along with Richard Gere's) was no surprise, but the scene that haunted me has her shirtless at the beginning and putting on a shirt and tucking that shirt into her skirt by the end. Now exactly what purpose that scene served for the story, beats the hell out of me. But it got stuck in my head and it kind of bothered me, as it's not how I imagine someone would get dressed, yet this seems to be how Valérie Kaprisky always dresses herself.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I say with movies good storytelling should overtake sex appeal and other fluff. Look at Breaking Bad. Bryan Cranston isn't the most handsome individual nor is Aaron Paul. But because of good storytelling that show was and is regarded as one of the best tv shows. Paul Verhoven's Showgirls on the other hand, was pure trash and laughable.
    I get what you're saying but Showgirls is a weird example (at least for me) in that it's actually not very hot/sexy. I think Lydia and Jane from Breaking Bad are hotter/sexier than the Elizabeth Berkley character and other Showgirls.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I can go with you on Kate Winselt- that was a beautiful scene, and the nudity was tastefully done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Yes, Kate was beautiful very tasteful and actually very sensual than sexy
    This doesn't make what you're saying wrong, but hopefully you're aware that Winslet absolutely loathes that scene and regrets doing it.

Retired

Yeah, I don't know what Paul Verhoeven thinks is sexy--given his complicated thought process, he might have unusual tastes--but it seems intentional that there is nothing sexy about SHOWGIRLS. Everything is turned around to be grotesque and the sex act is an act of destruction. I'm not one of those who thinks the movie is so camp that it's funny--in the way THE ROOM is funny--but it has a definite perspective on how warped American culture has become. And as I say, it's a far better movie than BLACK SWAN which has the same plot--there are even scenes that are parallel in both movies. But people thought BLACK SWAN was intelligent because it was about ballet, whereas they thought SHOWGIRLS was trash because it was about exotic dancers. And the heroine in BLACK SWAN is destroyed, whereas the heroine in SHOWGIRLS is indestructible.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I don't know what Paul Verhoeven thinks is sexy--given his complicated thought process, he might have unusual tastes--but it seems intentional that there is nothing sexy about SHOWGIRLS. Everything is turned around to be grotesque and the sex act is an act of destruction.
    Could be. I mean, Verhoeven's Basic Instinct, for all its faults, did accomplish being hot/sexy, I thought. With obviously Sharon Stone being in an iconic role.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Could be. I mean, Verhoeven's Basic Instinct, for all its faults, did accomplish being hot/sexy, I thought. With obviously Sharon Stone being in an iconic role.
    It's been a very long time since I watched BASIC INSTINCT but I remember it took a turn half way through and the "sexy" thing became dark and destructive for the Michael Douglas character.

I don't think you can ever take Paul Verhoeven at face value--there's always some insidious purpose behind the facade. No doubt, if I watched it again, I'd find a lot that I missed the first time.

Incredible Member

It's been a very long time since I watched BASIC INSTINCT but I remember it took a turn half way through and the "sexy" thing became dark and destructive for the Michael Douglas character.
    Sure, but that's just the progression of the story. The stuff that was supposed to be erotic, was erotic.

I'm sure you could conclude this by context, but I thought Showgirls was a failed film that didn't work while Basic Instinct was a good one that did for its genre.

Ultimate Member

Re: Showgirls.

I watched a doc where Verhoeven said that a lot of stuff in the movie was meant to be more off-putting than sexy.

Although, I'm not entirely sure I agree. That pool sex scene with Elizabeth Berkley flailing all around seemed more unintentionally funny than anything else.

Basic Instinct on the other hand was meant to be hot and it was hot. That was "peak" Sharon Stone and the movie delivered in what it set out to do.

They bug me and are a little distracting. I was listening to TW's commentary on Thor: Ragnarok and he says with humor of course, that Chris Hemsworth wasn't planning on getting shirtless but Taika told Chris that he had to sell more tickets so they put it in. But yeah take that scene away and you don't lose anything at all. It adds nothing to the movie. Because of this trend of shirtless/side nudity/full frontal in movies, it makes some moviegoers brain dead. I've had conversations with movie viewer friends through the years and annoyingly, because of this trend instead of commenting on how engrossed they were with the story their reaction was OMG HE/SHE WAS SOOOOO HAWWWT!!. I say with movies good storytelling should overtake sex appeal and other fluff. Look at Breaking Bad. Bryan Cranston isn't the most handsome individual nor is Aaron Paul. But because of good storytelling that show was and is regarded as one of the best tv shows. Paul Verhoven's Showgirls on the other hand, was pure trash and laughable.
    Pretty sure there's T&A in Breaking Bad...

Yeah I would agree with that. Megan Fox would be lying if she said she didn't feel objectified by Michael Bay with Transformers 1 and 2.
    She'd also be lying if she said "Transformers didn't make my career, my acting ability did."
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 08-24-2021 at 01:46 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Retired

Nomi in SHOWGIRLS is like an alien who has landed on our planet and tries to fit in by copying what human beings do. But it's clear she doesn't have a clue and she's just parroting the actions of others. So when she's being "sexy" it's not sexy because it's just a bunch of mechanical violent movements with no actual feeling involved. I think that's what is so brilliant about Elizabeth Berkley's performance, she walks that line throughout the movie--if it was unintentional, then it wouldn't be so specific--but she's always in character as Nomi in every scene. One might question that acting choice--and maybe it was Verhoeven who gave her that direction--but it is a sincere performance.

I feel like BASIC INSTINCT gets too pervy as it goes along for it to be "hot." And knowing that Sharon Stone was deceived for that one scene makes it not very enjoyable. Also the way all the male detectives are looking at her--that just turns my stomach. They are so lascivious--the only redeeming quality might be that Stone's character is in control and using her sexuality to get the better of these rude men. So you could make the argument that it's feminist in a Camille Paglia sense. But then there's that fact that Stone was manipulated by her male director and didn't have control.

Astonishing Member

I don't mind.

But the difference of Chris Hemsworth body size is extreme. How does he get so fast, so big for a Thor movie?