Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Nostalgia Thread :)

So I thought since some of us are older then dirt, and more then a few of us older then the ground under the dirt it would be fun to talk about all of the things from yesterday and what we loved, hated, and everything in between from when we were kids. And hey if you youngens want to get in on the act that is cool too.

So post about TV shows, movies, music, products, just things from everyday life from the old days, or just tell a funny story.

Ill start off. We all love our wireless networks. The ability to watch shows, listen to music, send an email, or send a Tweet all from our phone. But remember the days of AOL. The classic line "You've got mail" The chat rooms, and the fact if someone picked up the phone it booted you off the net and took like a half hour to get back online.

Here is a fun ad from those days. I really dig the have access to 35 magazines

This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I fondly remember the good old days of going into record stores like Sam Goody, Tower Records and smaller, non-chain stores to buy music, be it on vinyl or cassette (never 8-track, never liked it), that was so much fun, perusing the aisles for stuff I liked, then rushing home to play it, be it on a turntable or a boom box.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

No matter what, the '90s will always be my favorite time for reading comic books...

As for movies, the '90s are also an all-time favorite...

I remember how I could daydream walking on the streets without being spooked by a bicycle, scooter, skate…

True, some of these modes of locomotion existed back then but now there are so many of them that I feel marginalized on my legs, on the pavement…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

The 90s was fun for driving around, looking for a comic shop and seeing if we could find issues we're hunting for.

Boisterously Confused

Especially if you lived in a small suburb, nothing - save perhaps Christmas Day itself - was as magical as the arrival of the Sears and JC Penny Christmas Catalogs.

Thanks for the thread. I've been feeling nostalgic for a couple of years now. The nostalgia really hits home whenever I go to the local malls in my area. Back in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, mall culture was hugely popular where I lived (and for those who live in the NY/NY area, you'd know what I'm talking about). Going to the mall was a huge event, mainly because it was the only thing to do. My family and I went to the mall to shop, eat, and just basically hang out. Nearly everyone else in Northern NJ had the same idea since every Saturday the mall had huge crowds of people. While my mom and sisters went to the Macy's, JC Penny's, or Lord and Taylor for Super Saturday discounts, I loved going to the Kay Bee or Childs World for the latest action figures. At the Borders Books and Music, I'd read the latest TPB's or video game magazines, or look at CD's from around the world. Stopping off at the Suncoast, I'd satisfy some taboo thrills looking at the R-rated action film or horror film covers. Or pass by, again and again, the latest anime videos. (Had nothing to do with the fact that the girls were half naked. Honest ). We'd sometimes end the day by going to the food court, gorging on a mix of Panda Express, Sakkiyo Japan, and Wendy's. Loved going during the holidays. Wow, on Black Friday and every weekend before Christmas, the mall would be decked out in Christmas trees, holiday wreaths, glistening presents, and the mall Santa Claus. The parking lot was crowded too, as busied shoppers clawed and cut one another off for parking space. Holiday cheer folks.

Indeed, those memories are very dear to me. Going to the mall recently, I see the changes. I usually go to see movies at the theater that came in about 13 years ago. Afterwards, I walk around. The toy store, Borders Books and Music, the Suncoast, they been gone for years now. Rows of stores are closed and boarded up. The old JC Penny has been shuttered as it stands across the newer and livelier Apple Store. The Saturday crowd is there, but it's only half (maybe even less than that) of what it was 15 - 20 years ago. There's still life in the mall, but not as much life as there was before. Yes, I take the pandemic into account, but I noticed that crowds were getting smaller even before Covid 19. The strangest thing is that sometimes I see myself either as a child, teen, or young adult. Sometimes, I'm hiding in the racks of clothes, trying to pass the time away as my sisters shop. Or watching the gameplay at the Gamespot. Or reading a JLA TPB at the Borders. Part of me wants to cry. Where did the time go, I ask myself? How did things change? How did I get this old? Why can't it be like this again?

Yes, there's nostalgia with the mall. A little melancholy as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Somebody gave me a mix tape in High School done on Memorex like 35 years ago. I still have that tape and it still plays pretty well.

Also, this commercial was so popular they started selling posters of the image of the guy in his chair!

If you grew up in the greater NYC area in the 80s or 90s, you watched this commercial:

Freaked me out as a kid. Winter Garden Theatre is indelibly seared into my brain because of this. Hopefully when the pandemic is over, I'll finally go there.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Who remembers these commercials? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Who remembers these commercials? LOL

I loved Crazy Eddie I stayed with my uncle a few times in Jersey and I saw this and I was like who is this guy lol. And man looking that equipment really takes me back.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Howard Johnson's restaurant. It's all gone. I miss Fried Clams.
    Damn yes. And otherwise, I don't even like clams. And of course there were all the flavors of ice cream!

Astonishing Member

In Southern California, there was a commercial from an auto dealership. As kids, we poked fun of it because the dealer kept on saying Pussy Cow. It wasn't until we were later that we figured out he was saying Go See Cal.

Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 08-22-2021 at 07:20 PM.