Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Any one else remember getting creeped out by Slim Goodbody? They showed his videos in my school and they gave me nightmares!

Attached Images Attached Images
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Any one else remember getting creeped out by Slim Goodbody? They showed his videos in my school and they gave me nightmares!

I think so. There's a vague notion there that I remember.

For me, one of the series that I remember playing in school was The Voyage of the Mimi:

The series was produced back in the 80s, but I saw it back in 5th or 6th grade. It got real when our teacher wheeled out the TV and VCR and we watched this! It's famous now since it starred a young Ben Affleck. And of course the theme song is still a banger!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Since we're on the topic of science, I'd be remiss without posting the one and only Mr. Wizard:

Before there was Bill Nye or Beekman's World, there was Mr. Wizard! The show used to come on Nickelodeon back in the late 80s/early 90s though it was earlier than that. There were some really cool science experiments here! Learned about thermal imaging from this show!
    "I am a man of peace."

As we're in the Halloween season, thought I'd post the History Channel's Haunted History of Halloween:

https://dai.ly/x33gev8

I remember I had to watch this as part of my 8th grade social studies class back in 1998. Learning about the origins, the evolution, and the impact of Halloween blew my 13 year old mind! I kid you not, ever since then I have made it a tradition to watch this special either before or on Halloween, though it's becoming harder to find. YouTube doesn't seem to have it uploaded it anymore so I've had to look on other sites. The information is still good, but now it hits all the right notes of nostalgia. Brings me back to those Halloweens as a kid.
    "I am a man of peace."

Invincible Member

How about the I Love NY PSAs? To give some context, New York City had gone through some rough times during the 70's. Crime rates were up and the city actually went bankrupt at one point. A lot of folks associated NYC with violence and corruption. This was an attempt to turn around the
    city's image and get tourism dollars coming in.

It's interesting that some of the shows here (Cats, Dream Girls, A Chorus Line...) ended up running for decades. And the I (heart) NY logo became iconic.

I'm unsure what Brook Shields is doing here,

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    How about the I Love NY PSAs? To give some context, New York City had gone through some rough times during the 70's. Crime rates were up and the city actually went bankrupt at one point. A lot of folks associated NYC with violence and corruption. This was an attempt to turn around the
    city's image and get tourism dollars coming in.

It's interesting that some of the shows here (Cats, Dream Girls, A Chorus Line...) ended up running for decades. And the I (heart) NY logo became iconic.

I'm unsure what Brook Shields is doing here,
    That was beautiful bro. Brought back the feels as a kid growing close to the city. The I (heart) NY logo is still around as are the commercials though I think most of them highlight places throughout New York state. (As an aside for those from the NY/NJ area, you guys use the term "the city" when talking about NYC, right? For me, saying "I'm heading to New York City" feels foreign and wordy. If I say, "I'm heading to New York," I feel I'm heading to New York state. But I digress.)

Highlights for me in that commercial were the incomparable Lena Horne and the narrator of the commercial, Joseph Sirola. The latter did voiceover's for a number of commercials, like Wendy's and Boar's Head. If you ever went to the Empire State Building and listened to one of their audio tours, he was the narrator that told you about all of the sites in the city. Guy's like a loveable uncle for me.

As for the appearance of Brooke Shields, well that makes sense in a number of ways. She was pretty big during the 1980s. Furthermore, she went to school over in Englewood, NJ, just a couple of minutes from the GWB. It would have been very easy for her to head over to the city.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 10-24-2021 at 12:27 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

Thought I'd give a shout out to Keith Haring:

In the late 80s, early 90s, Keith Haring's art was every in NYC. As a kid coming into the city from Jersey, I saw his art adorn public parks or basketball courts. Some of it is still around too:

As an openly gay artist, his work brought attention to the AIDS epidemic that was ravaging the gay community. Indeed, looking at this work, I think about how far we've come with AIDS. I showed Keith's work to my students and told them about the AIDS epidemic of the 80s and 90s last June for Pride month. I was shocked to find out none of these 13 - 14 year old's knew what was HIV or AIDS! So many died, yes, yet we've made so much progress too.
    "I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'll do you one more bro:

You knew it was Christmas time when channel 11 aired "March of the Wooden Soldiers" and then the Yule Log! And thanks for the other bumpers. Didn't know about those ones.

I remember watching their movies tons I especially loved it when it was because it was the weekend and I got to stay up later.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 10-25-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Double post.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 10-25-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

I remember watching their movies tons I especially loved it when it was because it was the weekend and I got to stay up later.
    Thanks bro. This was the generation before me. And yeah, weekend with either channel 11 or channel 5 (Fox 5) could be cool. Some of those movies were excellent. Others were so-so. It was a crap shoot.
    "I am a man of peace."

Yes, the California Raisins. I remember their specials back on CBS. Even had one of their books as a kid:
    "I am a man of peace."

Thanks bro. This was the generation before me. And yeah, weekend with either channel 11 or channel 5 (Fox 5) could be cool. Some of those movies were excellent. Others were so-so. It was a crap shoot.
    Yes, it was a mixed bag. But I found some guilty pleasures.

Yes, the California Raisins. I remember their specials back on CBS. Even had one of their books as a kid:
    There was a bit of a California Rasins craze going on. Merch everywhere.

Every Christmas I still watch Claymation Christmas and it has a song by the California Raisins on there. I love it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Yes, it was a mixed bag. But I found some guilty pleasures.
    Definitely some guilty pleasures and taboos. Though I enjoyed the Clue's and Police Academy's, I snuck in the occasional Predator II and Creepshow 2. .

There was a bit of a California Rasins craze going on. Merch everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Every Christmas I still watch Claymation Christmas and it has a song by the California Raisins on there. I love it.
    Heard it through the grapevine bros

"I am a man of peace."