Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    What an unsightly end for Hong Kong's Jumbo floating restaurant. It was an iconic landmark that is worth preserving. I visited Hong Kong a few times before but never visited that restaurant.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...hnk/index.html

Totally sad to hear about this. I lived in Hong Kong for a number of years and never got the chance to eat there. Such a tragic end.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I keep thinking about the wave of Nostalgia that we all go through.

What is it that drives us to think so fondly of the past? Were the movies that much more ground breaking with better stories? Did the tv shows make us laugh that much harder? Was the music that much more artistically valid?

It seems that for a lot of people myself included that nostalgia is much more then a fond memory. It is a large desire for a part of our life that is gone. A part we think maybe was a bit better then what we have today.

We spent so much time thinking of how we cant wait to be an adult, how great the future is going to be. yet now that we are here all we seem to do is look to the past.

I dont know why that is. Just some random thoughts from a guy listening to too much 80s music tonight.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

This video is for the 80's but a lot of it also spills over to the early 90's. I was born in 1981 and very much remember doing a lot of this stuff in the early 90's

This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I constantly escape to a constant sense of Nostalgia for the 80s and 90s. it varies day of day or various points of the day. its also why I spurged money on comics which fortunately lessen. I want to escape to a simpler and happier time. Whether is 80s Chris Claremont X-MEN, Roger Stern/Defalco Amazing Spider-man to Amazing Mcfarlane run. Watching 80s movies like Top Gun, Risky Business, the Ghostbuster movies, Adventure in Babysitting ect. it depends, I also get nostaglia from documentaries even from subjects that aren't exactly happy material like I'm currently watching a 1998 CNN 23 episode series on the Cold war. its also music, I constantly listen to music of all genres, depending on my mood. 80s Latin Freestyle, Rock, pop, Italo Disco, NES music or when I'm a 90s mood, Eurodance, Grunge, SNES and Genesis music. I do this everyday especially when I get overwhelmed by negative news involving politics and war. Funny, I get nostalgic for the Cold War atmosphere despite we also living in dangerous time and we have Russia as a enemy again. well I use Nostalgia as a form of escapism. I also love going back to earlier to my life when I was in better healthier physical shape or had a more better outlook in life. I even get nostalgic for my old 2000s church youth group days and hanging out with church fans despite now being disfranchised by Christianity and seeing my former church in a negative light especially how my former pastor preach politics and now a Desantis ass kisser. I think its good but at the same time I lose track on what i can do to make my current time better and make the best of it. I want to have my peak shape from my early 20s despite now being a late 30s overweight person eating junk food, well I should do better, work out again, save money, make new friends outside my right wing friends that put me down for my views. I'm currently trying to free myself from my bad habits, I don't know what I'm saying... its complicated.

I guess Nostalgia is good in a healthy amount but its a struggle when I constantly retreat to it instead of taking steps to make my life better whether is exercising, eating better.(it doesn't help I get nostalgic for old fast food commericals which lead me to go eat fast food) better my relationships, ect.

I like watching this, this is the year I was born

Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 10-25-2022 at 08:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

great I feel like drinking Coke, and i drink too much to the point that I might get diabetes. on a positive note, here something that bring a smile to me

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

What is it that drives us to think so fondly of the past? Were the movies that much more ground breaking with better stories? Did the tv shows make us laugh that much harder? Was the music that much more artistically valid?

It seems that for a lot of people myself included that nostalgia is much more then a fond memory. It is a large desire for a part of our life that is gone. A part we think maybe was a bit better then what we have today.

We spent so much time thinking of how we cant wait to be an adult, how great the future is going to be. yet now that we are here all we seem to do is look to the past.

I dont know why that is. Just some random thoughts from a guy listening to too much 80s music tonight.
    Great questions. I think that when you're a kid, you have no frame of reference. So you think the first music that speaks to you is the greatest music ever. You not only watch and enjoy TV shows, but you discuss them with friends, deepening the connection. As we age, we gain reference, and fewer things can surprise us. Sometimes, the music is legendary. Most times it isn't -- but it still reminds us of a time when all of our friends were around and no one had yet broken our heart.

I'm lucky enough to not view the past with rose-colored glasses. I know a lot of the music I listened to growing up (late 70s to late 80s were my teen years) was great, a lot was crap, most of it was OK -- just like the music of every other generation. And given the choice, I'll take the TV of today over the TV of back then -- though nothing will ever make me laugh as hard as I did watching that first episode of Mork & Mindy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Totally sad to hear about this. I lived in Hong Kong for a number of years and never got the chance to eat there. Such a tragic end.
    I didn't notice this thread in a long time.

https://www.thealternativetravelguid...jumbo-kingdom/

When I was in HK, I toured only the Kowloon Peninsula. I sightsaw the Victoria Harbour. Jumbo Kingdom restaurant was located in Aberdeen Harbour near the Hong Kong Island, which I never visited.

Unfortunately I heard the menu prices in that restaurant are outrageously expensive. I read several of the customer reviews of people who ate there. Some customer reviews didn't speak highly of their experience in the floating restaurant. They complained more about the prices than the quality of the food.

In the Youtube videos, I saw the decor inside of the floating restauurant. The interior looks very amazing and magnificent. Especially the staircase.
    Last edited by Zauriel; 10-25-2022 at 09:22 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    Great questions. I think that when you're a kid, you have no frame of reference. So you think the first music that speaks to you is the greatest music ever. You not only watch and enjoy TV shows, but you discuss them with friends, deepening the connection. As we age, we gain reference, and fewer things can surprise us. Sometimes, the music is legendary. Most times it isn't -- but it still reminds us of a time when all of our friends were around and no one had yet broken our heart.

I'm lucky enough to not view the past with rose-colored glasses. I know a lot of the music I listened to growing up (late 70s to late 80s were my teen years) was great, a lot was crap, most of it was OK -- just like the music of every other generation. And given the choice, I'll take the TV of today over the TV of back then -- though nothing will ever make me laugh as hard as I did watching that first episode of Mork & Mindy.
    You make a great point. It was all discovery and we didn't have enough additional data to muddy up the experience.

Astonishing Member

Anyone here get Nostalgic for even times before they were born or too young to remember?

I recently got into freestyle from the 80s and this breakdancing from 1984 with this song, man i love that song. also I can't help to think of other things that came out in 84 likes movies like Karate kid, Beverly Hills cop, Muppets take Manhattan, Ghostbusters. I even glad I have comics from that era like Simonson Thor, Defalco Frenz Amazing, Claremont JRJR X-MEN. Man I was just born that year, hahahah

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

Understood. And I certainly agree with a lot with what you said. This wistful longing for a seemingly "mythical" past, yeah, it's cliche and all the experts have talked about it before. The counter would be that it wasn't so wonderful, that there were a ton of problems back then. I acknowledge that. Maybe all of these cartoons, movies, and other media resonated so well because it was so fresh to doey eyed kids who got excited about everything. And maybe as adults now, we're jaded by life, and that has affected how we view things today.

Still, was it completely off? Was the past not as rosy as we thought it was? For me, I've been concerned about climate change recently. I'm sure many of us have. I miss the days when fall had dry days and brisk winds blowing multi-colored leaves off of trees. I miss winters that were actual winters, not 50 degree days, but really cold days with snow on the ground. And I certainly miss summer days when a heatwave was just two or three days and not an entire summer.

So, yes there is a mythic past. But there is some realistic past to that as well.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Anyone here get Nostalgic for even times before they were born or too young to remember?

I recently got into freestyle from the 80s and this breakdancing from 1984 with this song, man i love that song. also I can't help to think of other things that came out in 84 likes movies like Karate kid, Beverly Hills cop, Muppets take Manhattan, Ghostbusters. I even glad I have comics from that era like Simonson Thor, Defalco Frenz Amazing, Claremont JRJR X-MEN. Man I was just born that year, hahahah
    Ha, me too. For me, it's been watching clips from The Last Dragon and looking at 1980s NYC. Now, with all of the crime that the city is going through now (perhaps exaggerated, but still there), I know that today was not as bad as 1980s NYC. However, there seems to be a quaintness to that time, like breakdancing, that I'm fond of.
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I didn't notice this thread in a long time.

https://www.thealternativetravelguid...jumbo-kingdom/

When I was in HK, I toured only the Kowloon Peninsula. I sightsaw the Victoria Harbour. Jumbo Kingdom restaurant was located in Aberdeen Harbour near the Hong Kong Island, which I never visited.

Unfortunately I heard the menu prices in that restaurant are outrageously expensive. I read several of the customer reviews of people who ate there. Some customer reviews didn't speak highly of their experience in the floating restaurant. They complained more about the prices than the quality of the food.

In the Youtube videos, I saw the decor inside of the floating restauurant. The interior looks very amazing and magnificent. Especially the staircase.
    Thanks for your take on that bro. Yeah, never got to visit Aberdeen as much too. And yes, maybe this is another case of nostalgia covering things up. Didn't know about the customer reviews.
    "I am a man of peace."

Thought it would be apropos to post this here. I like to watch old episodes of Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour" from Food Network. Granted, he went on to star on series on the Travel Channel and CNN, but these old episodes from Food Network are my favorites. I liked his humor and his openness to the world. I think that's why the world liked him back. The show certainly got me interested in exploring other places.

Of course, the food looked incredible. Check out the end of this clip when Anthony has a huge lamb cooked in the desert:

"I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member

I remember this playing while I look through my brother's Marvel Universe 1990 Card collection and playing Megaman 3 and Castlevania 3.