Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I have never felt nostalgic for the late 1960s to early 1970s, because that was an upsetting time in my life (as well as in American society in general). Nevertheless, I have always felt that the rock music of that period was far superior to the pop music of all subsequent eras.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I have never felt nostalgic for the late 1960s to early 1970s, because that was an upsetting time in my life (as well as in American society in general).
    I'll take then over the present-day turmoil and such.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! It only gets better with the arrival of...

Amalgam Comics

The 1997 sequels were also great (IMHO):

Ha, that's right! There were many reasons why I liked the DC/Marvel crossover. As I mentioned previously, I had been out of the comics loops for a couple of years. I had glimpses of the changes that were happening at the time at both Marvel and DC, like the Spider-Man Clone Saga, bone claw Wolverine, the return of Superman, or Bane breaking Batman. But to see all of these things occur in the miniseries was pretty cool. I think that was by design as well. In an interview, the crossover was supposed to introduce readers to all of these changes.

Secondly, you had all of these fanboy match up's. I'm not even talking about the big ones like Captain America vs. Batman or Hulk vs. Superman. I'm talking Batman and Bullseye. Daredevil and Riddler. Shazam and Dr. Doom. Archangel and Hawkman.

And than you threw Amalgam into it and your head just exploded from the sheer awesomeness. Dark Claw fought Hyena. Super Soldier took on the Green Skull. Spider-Boy visiting the Legion of 2099.

Honestly, that crossover was my bread and butter comic for so many years. The TPB was readily available at Border's and since I rarely went to a comic store, that was the main comic I read. Definitely one of the best comics I ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I'm a very 80s mood today, I know many people here are into anime, anyone get really nostalgic for old anime from the 80s and 90s like Dirty Pair, Bubblegum Crisis, original Dragonball, even Saint Seiya? Anyone missed back when animation was hand drawn. I recently watch a a video on Macross and boy, back when it was Robotech and how even in its butchered version still delved into strong character development and politics. I found a music video I would like to share from the 1984 movie remake Macross, Do You Remember Love". I'm glad the Macross uncensored is coming back the original and other spin off are getting original release and even theatrical releaseses. I can wait for this movie on theaters whenever that is.

I also like to research what Japan was like in the old Bubble Era which is the 80s to early 90s Where Japan was in its finance peak until it burst in 91.
    Bro, for me it's all about Ronin Warriors:

Yes, it was released in the late 80s, but I watched it back in 1995, just as I was discovering anime. Those cool super power moves each warrior had were so awesome. Yes, it was just stock footage to save on animation costs, but still so awesome.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

With all of this talk about 80s/90s anime, I'd be remiss to talk about Citypop:

Honestly, I feel the 80s Asian vibe here. Reminds me of Tokyo or Hong Kong in the 1980s. And I wasn't even there at the time!
    "I am a man of peace."

Speaking of early 90s dance music, one of my favorites, The Power:

The video reminds me of pizza parties, roller rinks, and nights watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at my friend's house on VHS. Good times.
    "I am a man of peace."

Just wanted to say that I've really started to get into Wu-Tang Clan over the past several months:

My fondness for the group is pretty surprising. I can still remember back in the early 90s looking at the Wu-Tang Clan's early albums at the mall and feeling they were forbidden. The "parental guidance" warning label, that fact that they were tapping into the "gangsta" vibes of the 90s, there was something dangerous about them.

Now I see the poetry, the depth, and the messages of the group. Plus, they hit that nostalgia wave for me of late 90s/early 2000s NYC. So whenever some young kids try to say listen to new rap artist this and that, I smile and play some Wu-Tang Clan and show them what REAL rap is .
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, that's right! There were many reasons why I liked the DC/Marvel crossover. As I mentioned previously, I had been out of the comics loops for a couple of years. I had glimpses of the changes that were happening at the time at both Marvel and DC, like the Spider-Man Clone Saga, bone claw Wolverine, the return of Superman, or Bane breaking Batman. But to see all of these things occur in the miniseries was pretty cool. I think that was by design as well. In an interview, the crossover was supposed to introduce readers to all of these changes.

Secondly, you had all of these fanboy match up's. I'm not even talking about the big ones like Captain America vs. Batman or Hulk vs. Superman. I'm talking Batman and Bullseye. Daredevil and Riddler. Shazam and Dr. Doom. Archangel and Hawkman.

And than you threw Amalgam into it and your head just exploded from the sheer awesomeness. Dark Claw fought Hyena. Super Soldier took on the Green Skull. Spider-Boy visiting the Legion of 2099.

Honestly, that crossover was my bread and butter comic for so many years. The TPB was readily available at Border's and since I rarely went to a comic store, that was the main comic I read. Definitely one of the best comics I ever read.
    OMG! Couldn't agree more. With PAD involved, you're definitely in for a wild ride (LOL):

OMG! Couldn't agree more. With PAD involved, you're definitely in for a wild ride (LOL):

Totally. Loved this scene. The X-Men riding off in the Batmobile. So cool. It also contributed to me becoming a fan of Nightwing, especially his new black and blue uniform. This particular part of the story has some iconic moments, like Wolverine taking on Killer Croc, with Peter Parker and Clark Kent in the background each talking about slipping into their superhero identities:

Nightwing vs. Gambit was a favorite scene as well:
    "I am a man of peace."

Another favorite scene was this between Batman and Bullseye. Jaw dropped seeing what Bane did to that batarang. And then I was surprised to see what Batman did to Bullseye's jaw:

"I am a man of peace."

Totally. Loved this scene. The X-Men riding off in the Batmobile. So cool. It also contributed to me becoming a fan of Nightwing, especially his new black and blue uniform. This particular part of the story has some iconic moments, like Wolverine taking on Killer Croc, with Peter Parker and Clark Kent in the background each talking about slipping into their superhero identities:

Nightwing vs. Gambit was a favorite scene as well:
    OMG! In agreement with you about those moments being iconic, but don't forget...

Cap VS. Bane

OMG! In agreement with you about those moments being iconic, but don't forget...

Cap VS. Bane

Ha, another favorite scene of mine. I think this is what contributed to me becoming a Cap fan. In addition to that, I was starting to get into comic book message boards during this time. The message boards had tons of these match-up's with posters listing their encyclopedic knowledge of characters to prove their points. There were tons of Captain America vs. Batman or Captain America vs. Bane posts. Reading those, I realized how awesome Captain America was.

There were other media that contributed to me becoming a fan of many different characters. Marvel had published these huge coffee table books which were again readily available at Barnes and Nobles or Borders. I avidly consumed Peter Sanderson's Marvel Universe book:

There were tons of articles in the book. There were tons of photos and illustrations as well. Poring over that, I began to appreciate tons of characters. It's how I learned more about Captain America and the Avengers. It was also when I first learned about Shang-Chi.

Also, I got a copy of Marvel Superheroes for Sega Saturn:

That was fun. It was great to play as Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, and Spider-Man. And again, that's when I first got to play as Captain America. All of those qualities that were in the comics, message board posts, and Peter Sanderson articles, like the super-soldier peak human abilities, the best hand to hand fighter in Marvel Universe, the ability to do all these crazy things with a shield, all of those things came to life in that video game. That's how I became a Cap fan.

So bringing it all back, the mid to late 90s was a seminal era for me. The Marvel/DC crossover TPB, coffee table books, message boards, and video games all played instrumental parts in becoming a fan of both DC and Marvel characters, especially Captain America.
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member

Ha, another favorite scene of mine. I think this is what contributed to me becoming a Cap fan. In addition to that, I was starting to get into comic book message boards during this time. The message boards had tons of these match-up's with posters listing their encyclopedic knowledge of characters to prove their points. There were tons of Captain America vs. Batman or Captain America vs. Bane posts. Reading those, I realized how awesome Captain America was.

There were other media that contributed to me becoming a fan of many different characters. Marvel had published these huge coffee table books which were again readily available at Barnes and Nobles or Borders. I avidly consumed Peter Sanderson's Marvel Universe book:

There were tons of articles in the book. There were tons of photos and illustrations as well. Poring over that, I began to appreciate tons of characters. It's how I learned more about Captain America and the Avengers. It was also when I first learned about Shang-Chi.

Also, I got a copy of Marvel Superheroes for Sega Saturn:

That was fun. It was great to play as Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, and Spider-Man. And again, that's when I first got to play as Captain America. All of those qualities that were in the comics, message board posts, and Peter Sanderson articles, like the super-soldier peak human abilities, the best hand to hand fighter in Marvel Universe, the ability to do all these crazy things with a shield, all of those things came to life in that video game. That's how I became a Cap fan.

So bringing it all back, the mid to late 90s was a seminal era for me. The Marvel/DC crossover TPB, coffee table books, message boards, and video games all played instrumental parts in becoming a fan of both DC and Marvel characters, especially Captain America.

Capcom made great music for Marvel Super Heroes and all their fighting game, thats actually my favorite soundtrack, great themes from Cap, Hulk Spidey.

When I was a kid visiting the Philippines, where I lived there for a few years, I watched some Japanese shows including Space Sheriff Shaider, Mask Rider Black, Tosho Daimos and Voltes V (an anime similar to Voltron). They were entertaining to watch. They were some of my fondest childhood memories of the home country of my parents,

Here is the Voltes V which I mentioned in my previous post. I hate posting twice but I was allowed only to post one video clip per post.

EDIT: Dang it, the video doesn't work on the forums, so I will post the URL instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ_JvvXuFuA
    Last edited by Zauriel; 11-06-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

I love this special video from 1993 on how do moves on Street Fighter 2 Turbo which includes a preview of Super.

Anyone here part of the fighting game community, I get nostalgic on how hype and big it was in the 90s even if I admit I wasn't very good at it as I only know how to do basic special and super moves. it feels so magical going to the arcades and seeing those various games from Capcom, SNK, ect and even beat em ups. Man I love putting quarters. I would also try to hear the music to games like Super Street Fighter 2, the Alpha games, the Marvel games, Darkstalkers, it was so fun. and yeah I still like current fighting games now and get it watching EVO and wait for new character announcements, I still feel sad that Arc System works is the only major studio keeping the 2D look alive while everyone else went 3D even if the gameplay is still 2D.