Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Gene Gene The Dancing Machine was a reoccurring character on The Gong Show which was a tongue in cheek talent show back in the late 70's. I was working earlier and some Count Basie was on and I was like, "The Gene Gene music!"

Sadly, Gene lost his legs to diabetes and passed away in 2015.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of the 70's, this commercial was HUGE at one time

Astonishing Member

I mention about the period of time of the mid 80s to early 90s in Japan known as the Bubble Era where the country was in its financial peak with money, real estate and everything in excess.

For anime fans, good anime came out like Dragonball starting and there's the OVA boom when big money was being pour into OVAs like Bubblegum Crisis. nowadays, OVAs just served as supplementary extra for popular anime with limited budget.

Boisterously Confused

Even knowing (at least, now I do) the problematic nature of some of them, I'm nostalgic for toys that were something other than brand extensions.

Image.jpg Image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I mention about the period of time of the mid 80s to early 90s in Japan known as the Bubble Era where the country was in its financial peak with money, real estate and everything in excess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNY...PierreRaffarin

For anime fans, good anime came out like Dragonball starting and there's the OVA boom when big money was being pour into OVAs like Bubblegum Crisis. nowadays, OVAs just served as supplementary extra for popular anime with limited budget.
    Yeah! Anime in the '90s was Awesome, as well. An all-time favorite would be...

Roujin Z

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Even knowing (at least, now I do) the problematic nature of some of them, I'm nostalgic for toys that were something other than brand extensions.

Image.jpg Image.jpg
    Im with you on this.

When I was a kid money was hard to come by. But my parents did their best with toys. Some of the most fun I had was with unnamed generic knights and cowboys and pirate figures. I could create my own names and back stories. It was the start of my love of world building and story making.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

Image.jpg Image.jpg
    I had Fighting Eagle, Geronimo, Sam Cobra (who, for some reason, I rechristened as 'Pete') and Sheriff Garrett. They all became the older relatives of my Big Jim action figures.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    I had Fighting Eagle, Geronimo, Sam Cobra (who, for some reason, I rechristened as 'Pete') and Sheriff Garrett. They all became the older relatives of my Big Jim action figures.
    Sam Cobra was my favorite, even tho - with a name like that - he was surely created to be the bad guy. I loved his belt buckle derringer

KAMEN RIDER BLACK (Episode 1)

I used to watch it when I was a kid.

Astonishing Member

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/oth...pic=phonebooth

Does anyone remember the times when you have to use a pay phone or a telephone booth?

I used to go to a telephone booth usually to make a private conversation in the booth, since there is hardly any privacy in my house and I didn't want people hearing to my talk on the phone.

Now that everone owns at least one cellphone, almost all the phone booths and other payphones are removed in most cities. To my knowledge, a few phone booths and other pay phones remain today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/new-...m-service.html

Raise your hand if you recently spot a tlephone booth or a pay phone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Does anyone remember the times when you have to use a pay phone or a telephone booth?
    I'm old, so I grew up in the era when pay phones were in booths (like the ones that Clark Kent changed clothes in). When the phone company introduced the "open air" type of pay phones it was quite a novelty! (And yes, people resented the loss of privacy.)

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I'm old, so I grew up in the era when pay phones were in booths (like the ones that Clark Kent changed clothes in). When the phone company introduced the "open air" type of pay phones it was quite a novelty! (And yes, people resented the loss of privacy.)
    And if anybody heard about people "dropping a dime" on somebody, how many people know what that actually meant?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

I used to go to a telephone booth usually to make a private conversation in the booth, since there is hardly any privacy in my house and I didn't want people hearing to my talk on the phone.

Now that everone owns at least one cellphone, almost all the phone booths and other payphones are removed in most cities. To my knowledge, a few phone booths and other pay phones remain today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/new-...m-service.html

Raise your hand if you recently spot a tlephone booth or a pay phone.
    A flourishing startup in my town refurbished a historic building as premises for their company. As part of it, they installed a vintage telephone booth (completely suitable for Superman's wardrobe switch) in its original location on the side of the building. No idea of whether it's actually hooked to a phone provider.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post

A flourishing startup in my town refurbished a historic building as premises for their company. As part of it, they installed a vintage telephone booth (completely suitable for Superman's wardrobe switch) in its original location on the side of the building. No idea of whether it's actually hooked to a phone provider.
    However, Hawaii still has payphones. Plenty of them. Hawaii is a popular international tourist destination, so Hawaii has existing payphones especially in places that are outside of the cellphone network range. Another reason for availability of payphones in Hawaii is that whenever the foreign tourists' cell phones will run out of load, they will have to use a pay phone.

If you don't have any payphones in your area, city, or state, and want to see a pay phone again, you can book a trip to Hawaii and try a pay phone there