Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Payphone is not the only one of Everyday objects that have become OBSOLETE.

Ultimate Member

Carbonated sugar water will bring us all together!

Ultimate Member

Maybe Legacy sugar water will save us!

Last edited by ed2962; 07-30-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

Sad walking away music...

Nobody even remembers this restaurant chain anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

Everybody my age (i.e., OLD) certainly does, if for no other reason than all the varieties of ice cream. Personally, I loved their fried clam dinner, and I'm usually not even all that fond of clams.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Everybody my age (i.e., OLD) certainly does, if for no other reason than all the varieties of ice cream. Personally, I loved their fried clam dinner, and I'm usually not even all that fond of clams.
    I remember Howard Johnson's as well from when I was a kid.
    We'd frequently stop there for meals on summer vacations, and my Dad use to have their frozen chicken croquettes for dinner at home some nights.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

I loved their frozen Mac and Cheese.

Ultimate Member

Sing it with me, children...Kmart, KMART!

My first Job was at the Kmart in Winchester Ky. I then worked at the one In Newport Ky. It was a big part of my first few years of working.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sing it with me, children...Kmart, KMART!

Ah yes, Kmart. Kmart was a big part of my life growing up. It was a store that had just a little bit of everything in there, so you could hang out there for a good hour or so. Me, I walked back and forth through the toy sections. Got a couple of action figures and a Nerf blaster at Kmart. As I grew older, I saw the other advantages of Kmart. Indeed, I can still recall 20 years ago during the summer picking up household goods at Kmart since I would be starting college in September.

Where I live, Kmart lasted for a long time. Like all of our old favorites, seeing the store in it's final years was somewhat depressing. Open boxes, sparsely populated aisles, some inappropriate comments written on the bathroom stalls, and being the anchor of a strip mall that came out of Tatoonie. I will say that the strip mall has been revitalized in recent years. Sadly, however, the K-Mart isn't there. Target has replaced it.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Speaking of Kmart, did anyone else have these two discount department stores in their area:

Yep, Caldor and Bradlees were great discount shopping centers. I bought a copy of the "Pryde of the X-Men" and a VHS of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends featuring the X-Men from one or both of these places.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Speaking of Kmart, did anyone else have these two discount department stores in their area:

Yep.

Caldor was headquartered here in Connecticut (in Norwalk). There were two of them in Norwalk: one's now a Walmart and the other location is now a Kohl's.
    The Bradlees that was in Norwalk also eventually became a Walmart, but there was a rumor not too long ago that that site may become a Target store in the future.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Yep, Caldor and Bradlees were great discount shopping centers. I bought a copy of the "Pryde of the X-Men" and a VHS of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends featuring the X-Men from one or both of these places.
    We had both. I would get cassettes and toys there the most. There was a video about stores that shut down and I saw neither, though.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-15-2023 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    We had both. I would get cassettes and toys there the most. There was a video about stores that shut down and I saw neither, though.
    Don't know the video you're talking about, but Caldor and Bradlees were both chains that had stores primarily in the northeastern section of the U.S., so they might not be that familiar to people elsewhere in the country. Ames was another department store chain similar to Bradlees and Caldor that went out of business not long after those two other chains did.

When I was growing up in New Jersey, the discount store chains I remember were Korvettes (E. J. Korvette), Two Guys, and (J. J.) Newberry's, now all long gone. I wasn't really aware of any K-Marts anywhere nearby me.