Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Talking about ads. How about this creepy ad from the old days. These guys gave me nightmares as they just laughed at the murder of a family member.

This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

And people say the Burger King mascot is creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So I thought since some of us are older then dirt, and more then a few of us older then the ground under the dirt it would be fun to talk about all of the things from yesterday and what we loved, hated, and everything in between from when we were kids. And hey if you youngens want to get in on the act that is cool too.

So post about TV shows, movies, music, products, just things from everyday life from the old days, or just tell a funny story.

Ill start off. We all love our wireless networks. The ability to watch shows, listen to music, send an email, or send a Tweet all from our phone. But remember the days of AOL. The classic line "You've got mail" The chat rooms, and the fact if someone picked up the phone it booted you off the net and took like a half hour to get back online.

Here is a fun ad from those days. I really dig the have access to 35 magazines

I remember the early days of computers when people were leery of them. Even the original Star Trek has some of that. Then there was Joe Mannix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannix
    '
    "During the first season of the series, Joe Mannix works for a large Los Angeles detective agency called Intertect, which was the planned original title of the show.[1] His superior is Lew Wickersham, played by Joseph Campanella. Intertect uses computers to help solve crimes.[2]

As opposed to the other employees, Mannix belonged to the classic American detective archetype, thus he usually ignores the computers' solutions, disobeys his boss's orders, and sets out to do things his own way. He wears plaid sport coats and has his own office that he keeps sloppy between his assignments. Lew has cameras in all the rooms of the Intertect offices monitoring the performance of his employees and providing instant feedback through intercoms in the room. Unlike the other Intertect operatives, Mannix attempts to block the camera with a coat rack and questions Lew, comparing him to Big Brother.[3]

To improve the ratings of the show, Desilu head Lucille Ball and producer Bruce Geller made some changes,[4] making the show similar to other private-eye shows. Ball thought the computers were too high-tech and beyond the comprehension of the average viewer of the time, and had them removed. In the first episode of season two, Mannix explains that he had quit Intertect."

It's a classic about how the old school methods work better that people love. It was the basis of shows like McCloud and many others.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Devil View Post
    And people say the Burger King mascot is creepy.
    I remember the "Enemy Within" episode of Star Trek where, at the end, Spock goads Janice Rand, making fun of the fact that the Mr. Hyde Kirk tried to rape her.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    In Southern California, there was a commercial from an auto dealership. As kids, we poked fun of it because the dealer kept on saying Pussy Cow. It wasn't until we were later that we figured out he was saying Go See Cal.
    Hilarious bro. Reminds me of the parodies of used car salesman in TV shows. Also reminded me of this commercial here from the NY/NJ area, the good old Westchester County Fair:

It was made in the 80s and played WELL into the 90s. The running joke was that the commercial never changed. And that's what gave it it's charm.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Talking about ads. How about this creepy ad from the old days. These guys gave me nightmares as they just laughed at the murder of a family member.
    Ha, the Duracell family commercials. Oh yeah, definitely remember those. Can't believe they were that early though. Came out around '95 or '96. I didn't think they were creepy though. They were just big toys that needed batteries. The family gave me a Tin Woodsman-vibe in a way.
    "I am a man of peace."

Yep, here is The Picture Bible:

This commercial played all the time on Nickelodeon. Seriously, after you watched Clarissa Explains It All or Doug, there was this commercial. Super surprised how it showed up on cable commercials!
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Not sure how many people are from Chicago, but those that are, I was thinking about Bozo the other day and wishing more shows were just like it again. Everything doesn't need an educational bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Not sure how many people are from Chicago, but those that are, I was thinking about Bozo the other day and wishing more shows were just like it again. Everything doesn't need an educational bent.
    Bozo the Clown. he was on tv here in Cincy for awhile. I think it was on the WGN Network in the early 90s? I remember the bucket game and a couple others. For some reason I remember Spiffy the most.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    If you grew up in the greater NYC area in the 80s or 90s, you watched this commercial:

Freaked me out as a kid. Winter Garden Theatre is indelibly seared into my brain because of this. Hopefully when the pandemic is over, I'll finally go there.
    Yes. (ten chars.)

Also, there was Nick.

And much, much more.

Bozo the Clown. he was on tv here in Cincy for awhile. I think it was on the WGN Network in the early 90s? I remember the bucket game and a couple others. For some reason I remember Spiffy the most.
    The odd part is that "Bozo..." was essentially a franchise like Burger King or McDonalds.

A few different people played the character in a few different cities. I believe there was even a Bozo in Mexico.

That said, the WGN take on the show did seem to be the one you would see in most places.

I can recall watching it in northern Illinois and northern Alabama back in the day.

Come to think of it, it seems like Willard Scott might even have been D.C.'s Bozo for a while?

While I know I heard it, I always wondered if that was just urban legend.

I know for sure that the man behind the horror hosting character "Count Gore De Vol..." played the D.C. Bozo for a bit.

I'm from Chicago, and I remember Bozo.
    Even though the episodes were frustratingly cut into three segments,
    I still enjoyed watching their cartoons of both G.I. Joe & Transformers

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-24-2021 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.