Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Come to think of it, it seems like Willard Scott might even have been D.C.'s Bozo for a while?

While I know I heard it, I always wondered if that was just urban legend.

I know for sure that the man behind the horror hosting character "Count Gore De Vol..." played the D.C. Bozo for a bit.
    I know he was Ronald McDonald I didnt think he was Bozo as well.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Come to think of it, it seems like Willard Scott might even have been D.C.'s Bozo for a while?

While I know I heard it, I always wondered if that was just urban legend.

I know for sure that the man behind the horror hosting character "Count Gore De Vol..." played the D.C. Bozo for a bit.
    Willard Scott had indeed been the D.C. Bozo from 1959 - 1962. One year after that, he used a similar character when he appeared in some local TV commercials as "Ronald McDonald, the Hamburger-Happy Clown", which was the first appearance of that famous mascot. However, McDonalds decided to hire some other clown to take the character nationwide. Incidentally, in 1955 - 1956 Scott had co-hosted a D.C. afternoon TV show whose cast included The Muppets, in their television debut. (Jim Henson was at that time a college student at the nearby University of Maryland.)

Always was a fan of this series of commercials from Levi's back in the day:

What was cool was that this was part of a larger series of commercials that told a larger story of hip, cool, young people doing off the wall stuff in their Levi's Jeans. At the time, I didn't know what was going on. There was no YouTube or mass marketing explanation. Viewers just had to figure it out. There was someone beautiful in that, figuring out a secret message without being told. Even after all of these years, I'm still thinking about it!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

One of the local stations here in the NY/NJ area has been WPIX. Over the years it's been known as PIX 11, The CW, and The WB. For a lot of people of my generation (and probably even older) it was just channel 11. And for a long time, channel 11 was "New York's Movie Station." Nearly every weeknight, there was a new movie. Weekends were better with multiple movies on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. If you didn't have a video rental place or a Blockbuster, you got a bunch of VHS's and taped whatever was on. (That's how got my copy of Clue by the way. Lots of good years with that movie .)

There were different iterations of the intro and outro, but I'll always remember this:

"I am a man of peace."

Final post for the day has to be this commercial for the Children's Aid Society. The Children's Aid Society is an organization that helps disadvantaged kids in NYC in a number of ways from adoption and foster care to after school programs. A lot of us in the NY/NJ area would remember the Children's Aid Society song. I remember it from the radio. There was a classic commercial made in the 80s, but for me I remember this one from the 90s. It came on during the Saturday morning TV line up:

"I am a man of peace."

Anyone else here a fan of School House Rock?:

School House Rock was a staple of my Saturday morning line - up. Though produced in the 70s and 80s, they were still prominent into the mid to late 90s. In the midst of action-adventure cartoons, School House Rock provided that E/I content before there everything on Saturday morning had to have E/I content.

I hear that School House Rock is now on Disney Plus. And that it was a label. I get that. While some concepts are still relevant, others are dated. The video I posted, "The Great American Melting Pot" is one of my favorites. However, some people would question the content. Is America a melting pot or still a segregated, mixed salad? Still, I appreciate the video's ideals.
    "I am a man of peace."

This were so great. my Social Studies teacher had a whole bunch on VHS and we would watch them. Even in middle school the class got a kick out of them. I love when they spoofed School House Rock on The Simpsons Sadly too many in the GOP use this as a play book.

Last edited by babyblob; 08-29-2021 at 06:18 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This were so great. my Social Studies teacher had a whole bunch on VHS and we would watch them. Even in middle school the class got a kick out of them. I love when they spoofed School House Rock on The Simpsons Sadly too many in the GOP use this as a play book.

Ha loved this. So cool that they got the original singer of "I'm Just A Bill" to do this.
    "I am a man of peace."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Anyone else here a fan of School House Rock?:

School House Rock was a staple of my Saturday morning line - up. Though produced in the 70s and 80s, they were still prominent into the mid to late 90s. In the midst of action-adventure cartoons, School House Rock provided that E/I content before there everything on Saturday morning had to have E/I content.

I hear that School House Rock is now on Disney Plus. And that it was a label. I get that. While some concepts are still relevant, others are dated. The video I posted, "The Great American Melting Pot" is one of my favorites. However, some people would question the content. Is America a melting pot or still a segregated, mixed salad? Still, I appreciate the video's ideals.
    Yeah, the history videos lack nuance, to say the least. All the math, science, and grammar videos, however, hold up pretty well.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

three words: The Yule Log

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    One of the local stations here in the NY/NJ area has been WPIX. Over the years it's been known as PIX 11, The CW, and The WB. For a lot of people of my generation (and probably even older) it was just channel 11. And for a long time, channel 11 was "New York's Movie Station." Nearly every weeknight, there was a new movie. Weekends were better with multiple movies on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. If you didn't have a video rental place or a Blockbuster, you got a bunch of VHS's and taped whatever was on. (That's how got my copy of Clue by the way. Lots of good years with that movie .)

There were different iterations of the intro and outro, but I'll always remember this:

Talking about wpix, didn't this air on that network?

and staying on wpix, does anyone else remember TV Pix?

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    three words: The Yule Log
    I'll do you one more bro:

You knew it was Christmas time when channel 11 aired "March of the Wooden Soldiers" and then the Yule Log! And thanks for the other bumpers. Didn't know about those ones.
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member

Hey there, hi there, ho there! You're as welcome as can be!

Astonishing Member

Now it's time to say good-bye...