Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Always was a fan of Saturday mornings. And during the 80s and 90s, Saturday mornings were just so creative. Check out these ABC Saturday morning cartoon bumpers:

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

OMG! Thanks for the reminder! My favorite bumpers were from Toonami (especially the ones from April Fool's Day, 2012):

Toonami promos were the best! Some of the coolest animes paired with techno beats and avant garde creativity. For a lot of young teens who were growing into the anime subculture in the U.S., this felt a little mysterious, a little "members only." This was the cool secret that only a select group of people knew or understood.

This promo in particular captured that aura:

Honestly, I could put this promo in front of kids today (and trust me since I teach them) and they'd still find this to be cool.
    "I am a man of peace."

Since it's Saturday morning, thought it'd be appropriate to put on some other bumpers. 1993 - 1995 Saturday Fox Kids bumpers were hysterical and were at the peak time of Saturday morning goodness in the 90s. Again, these little shorts added a little humor before and after your show. They gave you that little extra space of time to prepare:

"I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Toonami promos were the best! Some of the coolest animes paired with techno beats and avant garde creativity. For a lot of young teens who were growing into the anime subculture in the U.S., this felt a little mysterious, a little "members only." This was the cool secret that only a select group of people knew or understood.

This promo in particular captured that aura:

https://youtu.be/TfadJj4d5K4

Honestly, I could put this promo in front of kids today (and trust me since I teach them) and they'd still find this to be cool.
    Agreed. I also enjoyed the ones for...

Toonami/Midnight Run

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Agreed. I also enjoyed the ones for...

Toonami/Midnight Run
    Now this is where the nostalgia starts to kick in. I remember the Midnight Run and those commercials. Was this on Saturday nights or weekdays? The unrated cuts of Gundam Wing happened during the Midnight Run, right?
    "I am a man of peace."

Anyone else ever eat at the Sizzler? Fond memories of the place as a kid. My family used to just get the buffet and pig out on chicken wings, popcorn shrimp, and the vanilla soft serve. Now, my local Sizzler went out of business many decades ago. Then I found out they're still around! Check out this one clip of David Choe and Anthony Bourdain enjoying Sizzler in L.A.:

"I am a man of peace."

Anyone else ever eat at the Sizzler? Fond memories of the place as a kid. My family used to just get the buffet and pig out on chicken wings, popcorn shrimp, and the vanilla soft serve. Now, my local Sizzler went out of business many decades ago. Then I found out they're still around! Check out this one clip of David Choe and Anthony Bourdain enjoying Sizzler in L.A.:

I grew up in Bonanza/ Ponderosa territory. I never even heard of Sizzler until that episode.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I grew up in Bonanza/ Ponderosa territory. I never even heard of Sizzler until that episode.
    Interesting. Never know what you have (or in my case what you lost) until someone points it out.

Last post for tonight has to be Reading Rainbow:

Damn, no matter how many times I watch this, it still takes me back. First off the show was great. Levar Burton was an excellent host. Also, it was built around a couple of core qualities. A story that was beautifully told to you. A segment highlighting an interesting tidbit (one episode showed how a cake was made. Still works, showed it to some students a couple of years ago and they loved it!) And finally kids giving recommendations for books. Simple qualities. Nothing fancy or in your face. But they just work.

Aside from that, watching the intro hits all the right notes for nostalgia. As soon as I hear it, it takes me back to elementary school libraries, hanging out at a neighbors house, late 80s, early 90s NYC, just so many honestly good and innocent memories.

Keep doing your thing Reading Rainbow!
    "I am a man of peace."

Now this is where the nostalgia starts to kick in. I remember the Midnight Run and those commercials. Was this on Saturday nights or weekdays? The unrated cuts of Gundam Wing happened during the Midnight Run, right?
    Definitely both versions I posted were from weeknights!
    I remember watching both Mobile Fighter G-Gundam & G.I. Joe when Midnight Run came to an end.

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-05-2021 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Remember Colorforms from the before times!

maxresdefault.jpg
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Here are a couple pics that will take some people back.

I collect baseball cards. i talked about it on the MLB thread. Well today I got my order of 16 packs of 1990 topps card. And Ill be darned if the gum was still there. So cards and a bunch of 31 year old gum And let me tell you it tastes as good today as it did back then.

Attached Images Attached Images
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

^^^LOL! Something similar happened to me when I recently purchased the Fleer/Skybox Batman & Robin: Action Packs (1996)!
    Although, I decided to keep the gum (which was included) still in their wrappers.

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-08-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

If you grew up in the NYC area, then you saw one of these around:

Not a big coffee drinker. At all. But this was the way a lot of NY/NJ folks drank their coffee back in the day.
    "I am a man of peace."