Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

YAY!!

Invincible Member

How about this...who remembers the weird "stereo" you got on a couple of those old Beatles vinyl records? If you fiddle with the knobs, 90% of the music was coming out of one speaker and 90% of the vocals were coming out of the other.

Fantastic Member

Yall remember the comic "Bedlem" by Nick Spencer?

I enjoyed reading Wizard magazine at least before 2007 or 2008. That was when the quality tanked. I did miss Wizard magazine especially in the early 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I enjoyed reading Wizard magazine at least before 2007 or 2008. That was when the quality tanked. I did miss Wizard magazine especially in the early 2000's.
    Totally bro. I was an avid reader of Wizard magazine, from 1999 - 2003. For me, Wizard was the way that I got my comics fix. As a teen, I didn't have many comic book stores close by. However, there were Borders, Barnes and Nobles, and Dalton's book stores in the various malls close to me. Wizard was usually on sale there. Every issue was chock full of comics, even though it didn't have whole issues. What I mean to say is that in the magazine's articles, there were pages and panels from different issues, usually landmark ones. I didn't have to get Watchmen #11 to know about Oyzmandias doing it "35 minutes ago." Wizard included that page in one of its top ten lists.

Speaking of Watchmen, Wizard was how I found out about the series as well as dozens of others. Sin City, Hellboy, 30 Days of Night, Maus, From Hell, V For Vendetta, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, all of these series weren't on Fox Kids or Kids WB.

Finally, I never would come to a comics message board without Wizard. Back in 1999, the magazine ran a superhero showdown series on its message board and hawked it in the comics. Intrigued, I checked it out and lo and behold I found a community of other comic book readers who shared my interests and passions, who helped me grow my appreciation of comics because of their extensive knowledge and background. For over 20 years now, I have frequented a comic book message board, and predominantly it has been this one. And it has all been due to Wizard magazine.

Yes, I know about the flak, how Wizard's buyers guide did this and that or how it tried to take over conventions. But Wizard will always be part of my comic book uprbringing.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Watched a bit of a Dave Chappelle stand up routine a couple of nights ago and heard him talking about this:

Yep, Sunny Delight. Always will fondly remember how people chose Sunny D over "the purple stuff." Coincidentally enough, I was shocked to learn that Sunny D is still out there! Saw one of my students a couple of days ago drinking Sunny D for lunch!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Watched a bit of a Dave Chappelle stand up routine a couple of nights ago and heard him talking about this:

Yep, Sunny Delight. Always will fondly remember how people chose Sunny D over "the purple stuff." Coincidentally enough, I was shocked to learn that Sunny D is still out there! Saw one of my students a couple of days ago drinking Sunny D for lunch!
    I remember when people thought Sunny D was healthy but it is soooo full of sugar!

The fact this ad aired during Star Trek TNG makes me so happy!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I remember when people thought Sunny D was healthy but it is soooo full of sugar!

The fact this ad aired during Star Trek TNG makes me so happy!
    Ha, thanks bro. Talking about Sunny D also made me think of Capri Sun:

Again, I've seen my students drink this and it makes me realize just how old I've become. Makes me remember how I drank Capri Sun. Or at least tried to considering how difficult it was to get the damn straw through the pouch .
    "I am a man of peace."

Invincible Member

Tony Orlando and Dawn actually somehow ended up having a variety TV show in the early/mid 70's. But what's really interesting is how this song became an anthem of sorts for Viet Nam vets and then a few years for Iran hostages.

It was nostalgic seeing a Blockbuster video store in Captain Marvel movie.

Speaking of Watchmen, Wizard was how I found out about the series as well as dozens of others. Sin City, Hellboy, 30 Days of Night, Maus, From Hell, V For Vendetta, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, all of these series weren't on Fox Kids or Kids WB.

Yes, I know about the flak, how Wizard's buyers guide did this and that or how it tried to take over conventions. But Wizard will always be part of my comic book uprbringing.
    I agree. If it wasn't for Wizard, like you, I would never have learned about Watchmen, Sin City, Maus, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc,

But the internet has more up-to-date information about comics than the Wizard magazine. Wizard tried to keep their comics news fresh, but the internet is faster and more up-to-date. It was a shame that Wizard has to bite the dust, but there was nothing anyone could do about it,

I agree. If it wasn't for Wizard, like you, I would never have learned about Watchmen, Sin City, Maus, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc,

But the internet has more up-to-date information about comics than the Wizard magazine. Wizard tried to keep their comics news fresh, but the internet is faster and more up-to-date. It was a shame that Wizard has to bite the dust, but there was nothing anyone could do about it,
    Agreed about the internet. I remember around the mid 2000s that I started to wean myself off of Wizard. By that time, websites like Newsarama or comicbookresources began to publish more interviews, articles, and content on daily basis. I didn't have to wait a month anymore to learn about the newest series, storylines, or movies. Also, Wizard just seemed to republish the same thing over and over again. Reading how Alan Moore's Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns were the greatest comics ever became trite. After a couple of years, I remember getting all of my copies of the magazine (which were heavy by the way, the magazine gave you you're money's worth with content) and putting them along the end of the driveway for recycling.
    "I am a man of peace."

As we are in the midst of the holiday season, I thought I'd share another one of my holiday traditions; my annual watching of the History Channel's 1997 Thanksgiving Day special:

As with Halloween, for over 20 years now I haven't skipped watching or listening to this. I always find some way to view it. What started out as a middle school assignment has now become annual viewing. The nostalgia is there as well. Watching it reminds me of games at my high school, the Macy's parade on NBC, and moments at my old house with family.
    "I am a man of peace."

I agree. If it wasn't for Wizard, like you, I would never have learned about Watchmen, Sin City, Maus, Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc
    I concur. I'll always be grateful to Wizard Magazine for helping me discover other companies besides "The Big Two"!

Astonishing Member

My go-to source for learning about what comics I ought to be reading was the (weekly tabloid) Comics Buyers Guide. If they were still publishing it, I would still be subscribing to it.