Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    rs) But even though it was over the top, there was something I liked about the Tyroc all-white outfit (I always like white costumes)--it's a combo of an outfit that Elvis wore and something someone else wore at the time (but I forget who).
    I think it had elements of all Bronze Age dynamic -- V chest -- high collar, with a touch of Phantom Girl's Cockrum costume thrown in.

People have written that open chest and high collars was used for all of the black character introduced in the 70s, but it was not exclusive to black male characters (see Omega the Unknown, Nightwing, Karate Kid). I hate the bare legs and slippers -- which, ironically, I love on Supergirl in the early 70s (before she traded the slippers for boots). I will admit, though, that when Tyroc appeared on that Barry Kitson cover in the threeboot -- Tyroc looked really good. The white nicely contrasted his skin tone. I hated, though, how the characters from the cover weren't brought into the Threeboot (in general, I though Waid's run was very lackluster).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I wanted to like Chemical King, because his power was kind of science-y, but the writers didn't seem to want to run to a textbook whenever they wrote a scene for him, so he was pretty much stuck being 'fast-rust' or 'start and stop fires' guy. He'd have benefitted from a solo situation, I think, with a writer dedicated to what makes him special, and just gets lost in the crowd and feels like 'too much work for too little value' on a team like the Legion.
    He appeared in one of the Cockrum illustrated back-up Legion stories when Superboy was still a solo series. That was enough to make him one of my favorites -- even though he didn't quite make it into my top 10. I know Cary Bates messed up his abilities, but they were far more visually interesting in that story than anywhere else. I like the idea of him creating chemical compounds, but I guess that was too similar to Element Lad. It's a shame he didn't appear more in the Bronze Age.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My top ten (in descending order):

1. Mon-El
    2. Wildfire
    3. Cosmic Boy
    4. Colossal Boy
    5. Saturn Girl
    6. Ultra Boy
    7. Brainiac 5
    8. Lightning Lad
    9. Shadow Lass
    10. Dawnstar
    Good list! I wanted to add Mon-el & Saturn Girl to my top 10, but they got clipped.

Ultimate Member

While 'every character is somebody's favorite,' I'm not surprised that Lori Morning isn't showing up on a lot of lists.

(Just as I imagine Danny Chase isn't showing up on many 'top ten Titans' lists.)

While 'every character is somebody's favorite,' I'm not surprised that Lori Morning isn't showing up on a lot of lists.

(Just as I imagine Danny Chase isn't showing up on many 'top ten Titans' lists.)
    Lol I had to look her up.

Wow, in one post, you may have just put together the greatest couple om DC's history. Danny Chase and Lori Morning, how annoying can you get?

Peace

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Wow, in one post, you may have just put together the greatest couple om DC's history. Danny Chase and Lori Morning, how annoying can you get?

Peace
    Heh, I guess I'm lucky I didn't collapse the space-time continuum.

I was thinking it is kind of neat how I can agonize over a top ten Legion list, because I love so darn many of them, and yet if I had to make a list of my least favorites, I'd be struggling to find five that I really can't stand out of fifty or more across the 'boots. Even the ones I didn't 'get' like Matter-Eater Lad or Quislet, are total favorites of very cool fans, and so I have some fondness for them.

Same as it ever was....

Wildfire
    Dawnstar
    Shadow Lass
    Karate Kid
    Mon-El
    Princess Projectra
    Colossal Boy
    Utra Boy
    Dream Girl
    Supergirl
    Batman - Daredevil

Heh, I guess I'm lucky I didn't collapse the space-time continuum.
    Worse, you could have caused another reboot on this forum.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'm only a fleeting fan of the Legion, but here are my ten faves:

1. Matter-Eater Lad
    2. Blok
    3. Dawnstar
    4. Wildfire
    5. Timber Wolf
    6. Sensor Lass
    7. Karate Kid
    8. Tellus
    9. XS
    10. Comet Queen

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

1-Dawnstar
    2-Mon-El
    3-Princess Projectra/Sendor Girl
    4-Andromenda
    5-Cosmic Boy
    6-Dream Girl
    7-Ultra Boy
    8-Monstress
    9-Blok
    10-Gates

I have loved every version of the Legion, with the tradition Legion being my favorite by far but that doesn't negate any of the newer characters who appeared in the rebooted versions. Bendis' version is the only Legion book I have actively disliked. The changes to the characters were ridiculous at best. I have to say I am glad it's done and hopefully someone will bring back the proper Legion sooner more than later.

Don't tempt fate. In any moment Bendis could return. With a great penciller, that is an ability than make Bendis more dangerous. (for characters).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'm only a fleeting fan of the Legion, but here are my ten faves:

1. Matter-Eater Lad
    2. Blok
    3. Dawnstar
    4. Wildfire
    5. Timber Wolf
    6. Sensor Lass
    7. Karate Kid
    8. Tellus
    9. XS
    10. Comet Queen
    I love that you picked Tellus!

I am perplexed that you picked Comet Queen.

Again it seems, every character is *somebody's* favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The problem for me is this

Superboy and Supergirl are favourite characters of mine (full stop). And they were also in the Legion. Am I supposed to subtract points from their favouriteness based on their relative participation in the Legion? They are so overwhelmingly favourite characters--even if I could take points away from them, they would still be right up there. I voted for Lyle Norg, too--and he was killed off fairly early--so how much time they were in the Legion wasn't as important as how much I liked them as characters. I could have included Jimmy Olsen and Lana Lang, as well, given how much I love them. But I drew the line there since Jimmy and Lana were never officially part of the regular Legion.
    I think the beauty of a list like this is that you can choose your own criteria for who you wish to include. I was thinking strictly in terms of their Legion involvement.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    I think the beauty of a list like this is that you can choose your own criteria for who you wish to include. I was thinking strictly in terms of their Legion involvement.
    This is why on my list I had the foresight to include two alternates, just in case someone had a quarrel with my choices of Superboy and Supergirl. But even in terms of just their Legion membership, they play an important role, since they were integral in promoting the team and have been brought back to anchor the team for the same reason.