Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man #72

I read an advance copy. I won’t give spoilers yet, as I know mods don’t want those until it’s in comic stores.

Anyway, it’s actually pretty good. Much better than I was expecting from the ho-hum preview. Without giving away any big twists, it’s Norman centric and adds some interesting backstory that might be a bit divisive, but I like it. At least it advances the plot in a REALLY interesting way. I’ve been critical of Spencer’s decompressed, glacial pacing, but this is his best issue since Sinister War #1 in terms of doing what it needs to do. Plus, there’s an actual ‘Spider-Man: Legacy of Evil’ reference. Say what you will, but he knows his continuity.

Anyway, I’ll give my more spoilery thoughts later when others have read it.

BANNED

You know there were complaints during Spencer's run that his arcane and occult stuff would alienate audiences familiar with the Spider-Man of the movies but now the latest trailer drops it features magic spells and deals gone wrong, deep cuts to Goblin and Octopus that assumes audience familiarity.

Looks like Spencer was ahead of the curve.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    You know there were complaints during Spencer's run that his arcane and occult stuff would alienate audiences familiar with the Spider-Man of the movies but now the latest trailer drops it features magic spells and deals gone wrong, deep cuts to Goblin and Octopus that assumes audience familiarity.

Looks like Spencer was ahead of the curve.
    Ah yes.Because clones, inheritors, being a billionare, demons, mind-swaps, etc. were in line with the films

But does anyone think this, Spencer's run aside from the Kindred stuff that has been minor for the most part(before 50 and even after that for 2 arcs) has been back to basics and more in line w/ the Spider-man we may see in films or shows.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Ah yes.Because clones, inheritors, being a billionare, demons, mind-swaps, etc. were in line with the films

But does anyone think this, Spencer's run aside from the Kindred stuff that has been minor for the most part(before 50 and even after that for 2 arcs) has been back to basics and more in line w/ the Spider-man we may see in films or shows.
    Honestly, no. Well, Hunted, maybe, but the Boomerang roommate/teamup stuff doesn't work in a movie, stuff like Sins Rising requires a lot of lore to make the plot work (again, hard in 2 hour spurts), etc. If you just mean Peter being down on his luck, maybe, but the heavy tie into the MCU means he'll always have an out and they can't let him fall down too far. Peter having a crap job makes sense for a high school or college kid, but it will not work if they let him age up. I've liked Spencer's run for the most part, but I honestly don't think it's worthy of being adapted (other than Hunted, which would just be glorious on a big screen)
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

Spencer is going spoilers:
    to make Mephisto responsible literally for everything bad in Peter's life, isn't he?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Spencer is going spoilers:
    to make Mephisto responsible literally for everything bad in Peter's life, isn't he?
    end of spoilers
    *gets spoiled*

OIH COME ON. This is just stupid af.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Honestly, no. Well, Hunted, maybe, but the Boomerang roommate/teamup stuff doesn't work in a movie, stuff like Sins Rising requires a lot of lore to make the plot work (again, hard in 2 hour spurts), etc. If you just mean Peter being down on his luck, maybe, but the heavy tie into the MCU means he'll always have an out and they can't let him fall down too far. Peter having a crap job makes sense for a high school or college kid, but it will not work if they let him age up. I've liked Spencer's run for the most part, but I honestly don't think it's worthy of being adapted (other than Hunted, which would just be glorious on a big screen)
    In comparison Spencer's stuff is not as different from films than other stuff we've seen as mentioned.That's the point I made.
    Not what should and shouldn't be adapted

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    *gets spoiled*

OIH COME ON. This is just stupid af.
    He's not.If you read the issue it's just one retcon(that honestly makes a lot of sense) and that's something that's happening a a lot.Even to Tony's dad IIRC
    It doesn't change much, it's very well executed

Astonishing Member

Well, spoilers:
    Mephisto is basically being responsible for creation of Green Goblin is pretty huge retcon. One more bad thing in Peter's life he plays a part in. I just think that all this will come to the fact that that Mephisto was manipulating Peter's even before the OMD, and the OMD itself will be the thing he was planning from the beginning, for some reason. Such a retcon, which will be designed to partially relieve Peter of responsibility for that choice, which people hate so much.
    end of spoilers I hope I am wrong, of course.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Okay, it seems my joke did not land. I apologize.

I didn't mean that Spencer's run should literally be adapted into a movie (although I wouldn't mind), I am just pointing out the fallacies of believing that Spider-Man in the comics should always synch up with the version of the movies. Which I actually wrote about here.

The fact is that if someone saw the trailer of Spider-Man No Way Home with its use of magic spells, deals gone wrong, deep cut references to continuity and so on and then picked up ASM#72 they would find a lot of the same story elements in Spencer's comic.

So Spencer did indeed write a Spider-Man in line with the version people see on-screen.

The thing is that writing comics in line with the movies is always a failed loser's game because movies will change and especially nowadays when movies are trying to be more like comics than before, one can't assume that stuff in the comics, even the weird embarassing stuff, won't show up in the movies eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    He's not.If you read the issue it's just one retcon(that honestly makes a lot of sense) and that's something that's happening a a lot.Even to Tony's dad IIRC
    It doesn't change much, it's very well executed
    This is a retcon I dislike immensely. It might 'make sense', but I think it's a terrible change so far. My opinion can change, naturally, but as it stands now I am smashing the dislike button.

Spectacular Member

fun chat guys....

anyway, FINALLY stuff is happening in this issues!

where did you get clones from Spiderfan, have I completely missed something, or do you mean just because of those tubes?

Interested who you think Kindred is!

I'm not sure how I feel about that retcon. It's not offensive but it doesn't seem necessary...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Okay, it seems my joke did not land. I apologize.

I didn't mean that Spencer's run should literally be adapted into a movie (although I wouldn't mind), I am just pointing out the fallacies of believing that Spider-Man in the comics should always synch up with the version of the movies. Which I actually wrote about here.

The fact is that if someone saw the trailer of Spider-Man No Way Home with its use of magic spells, deals gone wrong, deep cut references to continuity and so on and then picked up ASM#72 they would find a lot of the same story elements in Spencer's comic.

So Spencer did indeed write a Spider-Man in line with the version people see on-screen.

The thing is that writing comics in line with the movies is always a failed loser's game because movies will change and especially nowadays when movies are trying to be more like comics than before, one can't assume that stuff in the comics, even the weird embarassing stuff, won't show up in the movies eventually.
    Oh, I got your point, I just don't think the non-Kindred parts of Spencer's run have been particularly different from other spidey runs of the past (Back to the Basics seems to be the siren song for many ardent Spencer fans) - lose a job, back in school, dating MJ but not closing the deal because of goofy circumstances, interesting plot points introduced and then discarded - to make it worth saying Spencer's run should be adapted or that a Spencer adaption would mean something specific other than introducing Kindred to torment Pete.

Having seen only the trailer, NWH looks a bit like OMIT-lite + Spider-verse-lite, so if we take that construction, I could see there being an MCU movie that's Last Remains-lite (e.g. "Pete friend dies in one movie then comes back as a demon in a later movie to torment Pete") + something else. And even that would be a suspect construction if Kindred is then revealed to be something other than SSM200 Harry.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    This is a retcon I dislike immensely. It might 'make sense', but I think it's a terrible change so far. My opinion can change, naturally, but as it stands now I am smashing the dislike button.
    i agree makes Norman becoming the goblin not his fault and gives him a pass. the same way peter and mj get a pass for taking that deal with Mephisto
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy