Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I wonder if we'll see any of the other Batmen again from Morrison's run.

Incredible Member

It seems they're doing what I had speculated back in the "Who will take over thread?" with the new writer building off of what Tynion has done, rather than scrapping it all, while still telling his own story. He also said on Twitter:

We’re honoring the plan that the other books in the bat-line are doing while telling a brand-new story for Bruce Wayne as Batman in the DCU.

Check out the new villain called ABYSS on the Batman #119 cover for January. #118 is their first appearance.
    Out of anybody that could take over the Bat-line, Williamson gives me the most confidence that Tynion's characters won't all be thrown out. While I doubt they will have the same prominence they would have had Tynion stayed on, the two of them are friends, and his comments about respecting the plans of the Bat-line would seem to support that, ie. Abernathy's comments recently about big plans for Ghostmaker next year. Tynion and Williamson also seem to have similar methods of promotion and developing new characters. Tynion introduces a new character, has them appear for a few issues in the main series, and then gets them a One-shot, Annual, or back-up developing their backstory. Williamson's first arc on Robin introduces Flatline, who's already getting her backstory fleshed out in the Robin Annual.

I do find it funny a major complaint about Tynion has been new characters, and Williamson's first arc is introducing a new villain right off the cuff.

Overall, though, I'm very excited by this choice. He's been killing it on Robin, and I hope this doesn't pull him away from that book. I'm also excited by Tynion's hints that Williamson will be bringing back Batman Incorporated. I've always thought it was a great idea that had too little done with it. It would also work well with Bruce leaving Gotham post-Fear State, and globe-trotting. Maybe we could see appearances by Knight (Beryl), or David Zavimbe, or some of the other, forgotten Batman Inc. characters again.

Morrisonbros we are feasting. Feels good seeing both the Batbooks and Superbooks take a lot of cues from Morrison’s stuff.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Very happy, as I mostly just didn't want Bendis. (Priest would've been a dream but was unrealistic). Williamson also has enough cache to not be a placeholder writer biding time for Bendis, so maybe we can get 2-3 years of Williamson at which time maybe Bendis is gone from DC?

Even that's a weird comparison since Jon has become a fan-favorite character over the past 6 years, albeit mostly through Super Sons before he was aged up. Jace is going from 0-to-Batman essentially, and I don't know if there's any way to make that work.
    Bendis would have been a nightmare. Taylor and Williamson were in the " worried but ok fine" pile for me. Having said that I'm intrigued by the suit (as a Morrison run fanatic) and Bruce leaving Gotham for a bit...
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-25-2021 at 03:13 PM.

His Robin and Infinite Frontier series are awesome right now so why not. although I do wonder if this means Thomas Wayne is showing up here as well?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm so ready for this new run.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    His Robin and Infinite Frontier series are awesome right now so why not. although I do wonder if this means Thomas Wayne is showing up here as well?
    Doubt it, Thomas will likely just be Justice Incarnate exclusive. If Bruce and Thomas meet again it will likely be in the 2022 event.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Jorge Jiménez confirmed he'll be back on the book for the next arc.

In the next arc! ����������
    https://twitter.com/JorgeJimenezArt/...65978367315977

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Eh, Batman is not Superman. Superman can risk that status quo of Jon and Clark having Superman and Action respectively, since Superline sales haven't been the hottest especially after Bendis' run. You do not risk the main flagship book though, even if Jace is a decent seller and word of mouth gives him good sales, Bruce is too important to the line. Sort of like Spider-Man with Peter and Miles, Marvel will never risk replacing their guaranteed best seller, even when almost all the heroes at Marvel were replaced with legacy heroes years ago, Peter still remained.(Actually that's kind of ironic with what's going to happen soon in the Spider-Line with Ben Reilly, but that's obviously temporary and not mantle sharing.) It's the same for Batman, Superman doesn't have that luxury.
    I'm not sure if Jace is a good seller. As far I saw, his debut didn't make it to the top of the Comixology list, and his previous series sold 31000 copies in June, and was in place 94 in sales, way below Nightwing, Robin, Urban legends and Harley.

Anyway, Williamson seems like a very good choice. I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Doubt it, Thomas will likely just be Justice Incarnate exclusive. If Bruce and Thomas meet again it will likely be in the 2022 event.
    I’m not trying to suggest it will 100% happen but this means by December that Williamson is writing Batman, his Batson Damian, and his Batdad Thomas in different books.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

Not the biggest fan of Williamson, but I'm happy with this. Especially because he doesn't seem to intrude or overhaul on the rest of the line, so that's already a win.

Wow, Williamson is everywhere now. I wonder if he'll leave another assignment to take on Batman.
    The new costume looks cool, very reminiscent of Batman Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    I'm not sure if Jace is a good seller. As far I saw, his debut didn't make it to the top of the Comixology list, and his previous series sold 31000 copies in June, and was in place 94 in sales, way below Nightwing, Robin, Urban legends and Harley.

Anyway, Williamson seems like a very good choice. I'm optimistic.
    Apparently Jace had pretty strong sales during his Future State stuff, the Second Son sales I guess I can understand since it was a digital series, which while it had Batman in the title, didn't actually show Jace as Batman, and was basically his origin story. I Am Batman#0 could be concerning, though it's a 0 issue, so I'm not sure how well those sell in comparison to the oh so desirable #1's and proceeding early issues of the series proper. I'd probably wait until #2 or so to see of Jace as Batman proper in the mainline will sell. He certainly is a bit unproven for now that 's for sure.

Incredible Member

So pumped for this! Love Williamson and absolutely love the Batman Inc suit. I just reread the Morrison run and was thinking it was a shame that Batman Inc concept was not developed further. It felt like a natural extension of Bruces war on crime.

Extraordinary Member

Is there speculation Jace is taking over as Gotham's 'Batman' and could be the star of Detective Comics? I honestly have no opinion of the character as most of his appearances have been in other books I have not read and did not look interesting enough, and I would suspect a lot of other comic readers have also similarly just not cared to pick up something 'just because'. The only way they are going to figure out if the character can sell is to put him in the spotlight.