Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This was pretty touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    It was better than most BND stuff we have seen.
    If that's a miss then 99% of modern comics are a miss too.
    When I say he doesn't miss, I mean everything is above avg. at minimum to excellent.Not everything is gonna be amazing
    I guess it was just an issue that had some of my least favorite "tropes" of a Spider-Man story.

Can we all agree that Zdarsky should be the next ASM solo writer? His stories are really good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Can we all agree that Zdarsky should be the next ASM solo writer? His stories are really good.
    Yes sir.After Beyond give him ASM

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    "Be careful what you wish for" as the trailer goes. I mean yeah, I'd like Zdarsky to write ASM and will read it and it'll be interesting but I think the reason Life Story is so good and why he's so invested in AU takes on Spider-Man is to avoid being tied to 616 Spider-Man.

All-New Member

Since OMD, I lost much enthusiasm for Spiderman comic. I read some issues written by Nick spencer but dropped after kindered was revealed to be Harry Osborn. Life story and Spider's shadow are the only comics I have really enjoyed. This was another very good issue by Chip Zdarsky.

Astonishing Member

Great issue. But how did JJJ prepare that Mech Spidey suit while locked up? Maybe I missed that part.
    Bagley’s art was really terrific (like approaching his USM peak), which makes me think his weaker ASM work is either due to a bad inker or lack of enthusiasm about the story.
    The twist about “Helen” got me; was not expecting that. And yes, it is kind of odd that our 616 JJJ has never been criminally charged with having a hand in creating so many supervillains (plus the spider slayers).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The twist about “Helen” got me; was not expecting that. And yes, it is kind of odd that our 616 JJJ has never been criminally charged with having a hand in creating so many supervillains (plus the spider slayers).
    Technically Peter was also responsible for the Spider-Slayers. Jameson wouldn't have hired Smythe if Peter didn't talk him into doing it.

I've always felt that you should never treat Jameson's dislike for Spider-Man in any realistic terms because Jameson is just never conceived to fulfill a realistic role in Spider-Man's story. I wrote a big post about that here:
    https://elvingsmusings.wordpress.com...ty-conscience/

I like how Zdarsky handled it here don't get me wrong but it feels somehow off that

spoilers:
    you have Jonah pass most of his life behind bars in jail and somehow never progress or develop any other kind of relationship with Peter. It makes the story sad for a character who is fundamentally comical and charismatic.
    end of spoilers

It's good but this is the first and only part of LF that I never want to see transpire in 616 ever.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Technically Peter was also responsible for the Spider-Slayers. Jameson wouldn't have hired Smythe if Peter didn't talk him into doing it.

I've always felt that you should never treat Jameson's dislike for Spider-Man in any realistic terms because Jameson is just never conceived to fulfill a realistic role in Spider-Man's story. I wrote a big post about that here:
    https://elvingsmusings.wordpress.com...ty-conscience/

I like how Zdarsky handled it here don't get me wrong but it feels somehow off that

spoilers:
    you have Jonah pass most of his life behind bars in jail and somehow never progress or develop any other kind of relationship with Peter. It makes the story sad for a character who is fundamentally comical and charismatic.
    end of spoilers

It's good but this is the first and only part of LF that I never want to see transpire in 616 ever.
    Let me emphasize that saying I’m surprised he’s never been criminally charged is different than saying I think he should spend the whole series in prison. He could be charged and acquitted… maybe due to a technicality as they find Peter partially responsible too (like you said) and that opens a can of worms of many characters being somewhat involved, like Marla as well. Could make for an amusing subplot in a storyline.

BANNED

Let me emphasize that saying I’m surprised he’s never been criminally charged is different than saying I think he should spend the whole series in prison. He could be charged and acquitted… maybe due to a technicality as they find Peter partially responsible too (like you said) and that opens a can of worms of many characters being somewhat involved, like Marla as well. Could make for an amusing subplot in a storyline.
    Sorry if I came off too strong. Not denying that Jameson would be charged in a realistic setting though I doubt he’d get a long sentence legally.

Great issue. But how did JJJ prepare that Mech Spidey suit while locked up? Maybe I missed that part.
    Bagley’s art was really terrific (like approaching his USM peak), which makes me think his weaker ASM work is either due to a bad inker or lack of enthusiasm about the story.
    it was a gift from norman
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    it was a gift from norman
    Ooh...I didn't catch that.

To be honest, spoilers:
    I was sure Norman in his will would out Peter's identity to Jameson
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Ooh...I didn't catch that.

To be honest, spoilers:
    I was sure Norman in his will would out Peter's identity to Jameson
    end of spoilers
    I barely remember but if he did he would have talked to Ben not Peter since Peter left New York to be with Mj and his kids
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I barely remember but if he did he would have talked to Ben not Peter since Peter left New York to be with Mj and his kids
    That was at the end of Life Story #4, around 1995, if I'm not mistaken, so it could have still been Peter. Might have to reread my copy to confirm, though.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it was just an issue that had some of my least favorite "tropes" of a Spider-Man story.
    Oh yeah, I get that.
    Some tropes rub me off the wrong way too.