Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I liked this one at the time, but now it just seems a bit lazy.

While I realize it's in the same vein as the Swamp Thing logo I dislike, I feel it's more fitting for Animal Man. I like the juxtaposition of the more savage font vs the civilized one.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Shade is a series that I will always love, but I'll never understood who greenlit this logo or why. It predates Magic Eye 3D images by a few years, otherwise I'd think they were the inspiration. This cover is one of the more coherent ones.

The books second logo is classic, and much more aesthetically pleasing. It still captures the feel of the series without causing eyestrain.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Retired

Looking at the recent covers to see if there's any new designs (not revivals) that appeal to my tastes, the one that jumps out at me is this Johnny Constantine book. I haven't read the book, so I'm just going by how I connect with the design. I like the font design, because it has that organic feel to it and seems integrated with what the cover image tells me about the contents. It looks like a human being made it--even if a computer was involved--the letters are irregular which gives it that unaffected appeal.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My problem with modern comics is they try too hard not to look like comic books. This is most evident on the covers where they just use drawings--sometimes inked, sometimes painted--and don't look like panels from a comic book story. But I think a cover should be an extension of the story and have the same elements as inside. The words aren't getting in the way of the art--they are a part of the art.

The art of comics isn't just drawing. There's an art to font design, there's an art to dialogue balloons, there's an art to scripting. The art of comics is the whole thing--taking all these design/story elements and arranging them on the page in a satisfying way--where each "art" complements all the other arts on the page. It's how these elements interact with each other that is a comic book. Everyone involved is collaborating to create something greater than the sum of its parts.

The thing I hate is the universal price code. That's not a design feature--it has no business being on the cover--it takes away from all those other considerations in designing a cover. It's not there because anyone wants it to be there--and they can't fiddle with it to make it interact with the rest of the cover. It has to be divorced from everything else so it can be scanned. I don't understand how that thing has managed to survive for so many decades on front covers. I would have thought early on they'd find another solution--like putting it on the back cover. But this ugly piece of crap keeps ruining the beauty of the cover.
    That's true but I always separate cover than the interior, so when I see those covers with speech bubble or teaser words, even when they're artsy, my mind is...

Well... actually... depends. Some comic covers use the speech bubble and text art in a whimsy, and I like that, or if they have an art style that fits the tone of those texts, like pop art, or comic book line art that calls back to the 60s to 80s. They fit the tone, and they're fun.

But when you have realistic painted art work on the cover like they can stand on their own in an art gallery, then add words, they don't fit. The art style clash. They're the ones where I yell nooo don't cover the art because those type of arts are meant to stand alone.

Spectacular Member

9D4A8ECB-BFBF-499C-9830-36D9C65539AC.jpg

I’m partial to this logo for WW.
    The original cursive was good, but not as dynamic as this one.
    The block letters may be a little too close to the Superman logo, but this is the one I associate the most with Diana.
    The current one is a little too harsh for my tastes.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post

I’m partial to this logo for WW.
    The original cursive was good, but not as dynamic as this one.
    The block letters may be a little too close to the Superman logo, but this is the one I associate the most with Diana.
    The current one is a little too harsh for my tastes.
    That logo which was first used on issue 212, when Julius Schwartz became editor, is based on the second Wonder Woman title logo, which first appeared on issue 60. But there the 'r' was different and it wasn't in blocks--

Since Schwartz was a Superman editor at the time, and he brought in a lot of Superman writers and artists to do Diana's 12 trials, maybe they wanted a subliminal association with Superman.

Taking a title logo and making it more three dimensional is something they'd done already--sort of--when they took the logo for the SUPERGIRL title--

--and used it for THE SUPERMAN FAMILY--

Retired

I guess you could say the SUPERGIRL logo was already block-ish, but the FAMILY made it more so.

They then used that for the other FAMILY comics, like BATMAN FAMILY and SUPER-TEAM FAMILY

But this kind of title logo was everywhere in the 1970s--

Extraordinary Member

I always loved this logo from the early-mid 2000s JLA run:

Also, the Morrison era Doom Patrol logos were great:

Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-02-2021 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post

EARLY 2000s? That logo debuted in 2006. It's mid-late 2000s. (Also, I see that's a Wikia link, did they finally fix image hotlinking? It's been broken for months)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

All-New Member

Favorite BATMAN logo, from late 70s-mid 80s.

A50F45D2-0A25-4DBC-B445-0616A3EFF985.jpg

I know it's super basic, but this is still one of my favorite Batman logos. Something so classy and timeless about it.

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Retired

I find it interesting that most Batman title logos are variations on three basic designs.

There's the classic Batman--

The "New Look" Batman--

And the 1966 Batman--for me I remember this from the 1966 Batman bubble gum card wrappers--

What I find strange is when the title logos don't use some variation on the Batman head on a bat--when they just spell out the name in letters. Why? That seems so nondescript.

If there must be a bat-head incorporated, I think this is my preferred look:

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    If there must be a bat-head incorporated, I think this is my preferred look:

Agreed. This is a great modernization of the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post

Also, the Morrison era Doom Patrol logos were great:

Agreed on both of them. I actually tried posting the JLA earlier, but the link didn't work.