Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    The effects wouldn't be anywhere that drastic, imo. In my experience, people that like the feel of a book in their hands, the feel of flipping thru pages, those folks aren't going anywhere. Many of them probably won't even read the digital comics. Me? I'm bisexual when it comes to reading comics. I love reading the traditional paper comics, but I also love it digitally, so naughty. I feel like DC is committing bi-erasure here.

They could've anticipated disruptions to the global supply chain, imo, and formed a backup relationship with a domestic paper supplier.

Maybe my standards are too high? I dunno. DC and Marvel are in charge of billion dollar IPs and want me to pay $5 a comic book, which makes a story arc $30. Maybe standards should be high.
    Honestly, I'm just fed up of the entitlement of some comic folks. I'm still looking back at last year when Diamond, Marvel and DC decided to stop publishing for 3 months due to the pandemic and People were like "Do digital" not realising that it was partly due to People not being able to afford comics at the time.

Just wait, these delays aren't even that bad, I'll barely notice them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Honestly, I'm just fed up of the entitlement of some comic folks. I'm still looking back at last year when Diamond, Marvel and DC decided to stop publishing for 3 months due to the pandemic and People were like "Do digital" not realising that it was partly due to People not being able to afford comics at the time.

Just wait, these delays aren't even that bad, I'll barely notice them.
    Well, I was with you back then. Because those were the early days of the pandemic. But over a year later now, I'd expect adaptation and contingencies during this pandemic.

Again, if a story arc is $30 (money I can spend to buy two good novels or a good video game), I do feel "entitled" to superior customer service. This doesn't even get into the quality of the product yet, lol, which generally isn't good at the Big 2.

Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by hairys; 08-26-2021 at 06:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

How many people are even buying many of these books? This is really only a concern for retailers who have more expectancy of what is arriving and when because they want to know when product will be on their shelves, and it seems a rare courtesy at that. We see books get delayed all the time, it is not like the every DC book is getting pushed back a month, it is not even all the many, and the delays seem minor so they probably did find alternatives to get them printed and shipped. Which has nothing to do with 'local/domestic' since ultimately somewhere down the line someone is going to be relying on something coming on a boat, or even if it is domestic you still have entire hubs and plants that get shutdown, and everyone is fighting to get switched over to someone else.

As for personal impact, the only book I am reading on there is Superman Son of Kal El and I am actually quite surprised that the 'delayed' date is September 21, since #2 just came out yesterday.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    How many people are even buying many of these books? This is really only a concern for retailers who have more expectancy of what is arriving and when because they want to know when product will be on their shelves, and it seems a rare courtesy at that. We see books get delayed all the time, it is not like the every DC book is getting pushed back a month, it is not even all the many, and the delays seem minor so they probably did find alternatives to get them printed and shipped. Which has nothing to do with 'local/domestic' since ultimately somewhere down the line someone is going to be relying on something coming on a boat, or even if it is domestic you still have entire hubs and plants that get shutdown, and everyone is fighting to get switched over to someone else.

As for personal impact, the only book I am reading on there is Superman Son of Kal El and I am actually quite surprised that the 'delayed' date is September 21, since #2 just came out yesterday.
    Only 3, Batman Reptilian, The Long Halloween and Justice League. I'm okay with that anyway, I probably won't read TLH for a while anyway, and I'm on the brink of dropping Justice League.

Incredible Member

How many people are even buying many of these books? This is really only a concern for retailers who have more expectancy of what is arriving and when because they want to know when product will be on their shelves, and it seems a rare courtesy at that. We see books get delayed all the time, it is not like the every DC book is getting pushed back a month, it is not even all the many, and the delays seem minor so they probably did find alternatives to get them printed and shipped.
    We do, even before the pandemic. I guess I dislike that it's become commonplace for the industry.

At least DC hasn't decided to temporarily stop publishing all comic books that don't feature Batman.

At least not yet . . .

Incredible Member

The delays don't seem that bad. I'm glad Wonder Woman isn't on that list. Wonder Girl has been dealing with delays since issue 2 so this isn't surprising.

Customers aren't entitled to jack **** when supply chain things outside of the company's control screw things up. DC would lose bank if they just did digital. That's why they're not doing that. Also, just because you want your fix, you think it's cool that mom and pop local comic stores go under? In that scenario, not only do people lose jobs and livelihoods, but there's blowback onto DC which makes less money which means they make less books. The entitlement, indeed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    The delays don't seem that bad. I'm glad Wonder Woman isn't on that list. Wonder Girl has been dealing with delays since issue 2 so this isn't surprising.

Customers aren't entitled to jack **** when supply chain things outside of the company's control screw things up. DC would lose bank if they just did digital. That's why they're not doing that. Also, just because you want your fix, you think it's cool that mom and pop local comic stores go under? In that scenario, not only do people lose jobs and livelihoods, but there's blowback onto DC which makes less money which means they make less books. The entitlement, indeed.
    Well, we disagree that it was outside the company's control. Let's leave it at that, as I don't want to rehash previous posts.

I do find it interesting, though, that whenever it becomes a corporation vs customer debate these days, so many (and so many of a particular ideology) tend to side with the corporation these days. Like I said, if DC and Marvel hadn't been frequently late PRE-pandemic, I'd maybe cut them more slack now, but I think the conclusion that makes the most sense to me is that DC and Marvel no longer prioritize being on-time like in the days when Shooter was running things. But back to corporations for a moment. I think it was genius when about a decade ago most big corporations decided to pander to a certain political demographic with their marketing of identity politics. Now, whenever these corporations make a mistake or do something wrong (i.e. DC and Marvel's low page rates for labor), they don't receive nearly the blowback that they would've received a decade or two ago when that political demographic would've held them more to account. The Left and corporations are now aligned, moreso than ever in history, and customers and labor probably lose under that dynamic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Well, we disagree that it was outside the company's control. Let's leave it at that, as I don't want to rehash previous posts.

I do find it interesting, though, that whenever it becomes a corporation vs customer debate these days, so many (and so many of a particular ideology) tend to side with the corporation these days. Like I said, if DC and Marvel hadn't been frequently late PRE-pandemic, I'd maybe cut them more slack now, but I think the conclusion that makes the most sense to me is that DC and Marvel no longer prioritize being on-time like in the days when Shooter was running things. But back to corporations for a moment. I think it was genius when about a decade ago most big corporations decided to pander to a certain political demographic with their marketing of identity politics. Now, whenever these corporations make a mistake or do something wrong (i.e. DC and Marvel's low page rates for labor), they don't receive nearly the blowback that they would've received a decade or two ago when that political demographic would've held them more to account. The Left and corporations are now aligned, moreso than ever in history, and customers and labor probably lose under that dynamic.
    I cannot speak for Marvel, although they are not as bad as other publishers, I could set my clock to DC's releases which is part of the reason they have made up the core of my pull list since I know I will get certain titles each week of the month.

Weird that the article mentions they're having trouble getting enough paper to print the comics on! It's like World War II's rationing!

Honestly, if most of these books silently slipped like this most people would not know, at least if it was any other publisher.
    In the UK, 2000AD publisher Rebellion still released the second Cor!!Buster humour comic special in April last year - when most WHSmith stores were closed and so couldn't sell it. The reason they were closed was because of a COVID lockdown. They should've delayed it. Most people probably didn't even know it was out. There was no third special this year (the first was in 2019, so it was meant to be an annual thing), I presume because of low sales.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Weird that the article mentions they're having trouble getting enough paper to print the comics on! It's like World War II's rationing!
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Back then they could go from 64 page comics to 48 page comics. We can't blame DC Comics for paper shortages!

Extraordinary Member

Per a letter sent to retailers Image won't be offering second printings for the foreseeable future - wonder how long till the other publishers are forced to do the same.