Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top Female Fighters in Marvel Comics

Not augmented by superpowers, who is the best hand-to-hand combatant in the MU? And who would make the top 10?
    Here are mine:

1. Mantis
    2. Gamora
    3. Moondragon
    4. Elektra
    5. Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
    6. Yukio
    7. Zheng Shi-Hua (Shang-chi's sister)
    8. Mystique
    9. Okoye
    10. Psylocke (Kwannon)

Honorable mentions:
    • Malice (Nakia) * she maybe should be in the top *
    • Mockingbird
    • Kate Pryde
    • Melinda May * She would be in the top ten if her comic persona is anything like her AoS version.
    • Collen Wing *probably the best sword-wielder of the bunch*
    • Lady Bullseye
    • Wolverine (Laura Kinney)
    • White Widow (Yelena Belova)
    • Echo
    • Captain Britain (Elizabeth Braddock)
    • Sharon Carter
    • Storm

These women seem to be better at gunplay:
    • Silver Sable
    • Viper
    • Domino
    Last edited by Alphaxman; 08-27-2021 at 11:19 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Hellcat
    Misty Knight
    Domino
    Nebula
    "Cable was right!"

Jessica Drew was trained by Taskmaster so even without her powers she's one hell of a fighter.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I feel like Mockingbird is probably up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Not augmented by superpowers, who is the best hand-to-hand combatant in the MU? And who would make the top 10?
    Here are mine:

1. Mantis
    2. Gamora
    3. Moondragon
    4. Elektra
    5. Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
    6. Yukio
    7. Zheng Shi-Hua (Shang-chi's sister)
    8. Mystique
    9. Okoye
    10. Psylocke (Kwannon)

Honorable mentions:
    • Malice (Nakia) * she maybe should be in the top *
    • Kate Pryde
    • Melinda May * She would be in the top ten if her comic persona is anything like her AoS version.
    • Collen Wing *probably the best sword-wielder of the bunch*
    • Lady Bullseye
    • Wolverine (Laura Kinney)
    • White Widow (Yelena Belova)
    • Echo
    • Captain Britain (Elizabeth Braddock)
    • Sharon Carter
    • Storm

These women seem to be better at gunplay:
    • Silver Sable
    • Viper
    • Domino
    I'd say these names cover it pretty much but as Frontier said Mockingbird should also be considered as she's at least above Sharon.

Then there's a couple who don't have many appearances like Finesse, Lady Deathstrike, Shanna. Should be high but lack enough showings.

Shuri maybe.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Finesse would fall under augmented by powers since her memory recall can't be shut off.
    "Cable was right!"

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Bride of Nine Spiders?

I feel like Okoye and Mystique are too high. Definitely wouldn't rate them above Laura (who I feel should be 6th). And even though gunplay is what they are better at, I would say Silver Sable and Viper would both definitely be better than Storm or Kitty.

And even though swords is what she's best with Colleen I think would still be almost within the top 10 in hand-to-hand.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 08-27-2021 at 01:22 PM.

I totally forgot to add Bobbi even though she was on my list. And I couldn't think of Bride of Nine Spiders name. Shanna should be added, but Lady Deathstrike is a hard case because of her cybernetic enhancements.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    I'd say these names cover it pretty much but as Frontier said Mockingbird should also be considered as she's at least above Sharon.
    Then there's a couple who don't have many appearances like Finesse, Lady Deathstrike, Shanna. Should be high but lack enough showings.
    Shuri maybe.
    Finesse and Lady Deathstrike fall into the same category as Sif or Thundra or movie-Gamora or movie-Nebula (with their cybernetic super-strength/etc.). Bride of Nine Spiders *may* be an Iron Fist level martial artist, absent chi powers and swarms of spiders and exploding collar-spikes, but she uses those darn powers so much it's hard to get a read on how effective she is without them. (Same with others like Prince of Orphans and Fat Cobra. Iron Fist is way, way more conservative in his use of the iron fist, by comparison, and they, particularly Fat Cobra, just bust out new and over-the-top super-powers every time they appear!)

But of the Avengers Initiative crew, there's Melee, who may or may not have superhuman mastery of fighting styles, and therefore may or may not count. (Gosh, I'm helpful.)

Definitely think Mockingbird and Colleen Wing belong above Mystique and perhaps even Sister Dagger (or Sister Hammer), if only because we haven't seen a lot of these Five Weapons Society ladies to get a feel for them. (If they are indeed a step below Shang-Chi, then they definitely belong higher on the list!)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-27-2021 at 01:15 PM.

List looks solid. I would put Laura in my 10 before Mystique or Yukio. I think She-Hulk would also get an honorable mention as well. She had some good feats before, including solid agility and nerve strikes.

No one think Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) should be on this list? Bc her skills are legit. Take away her super powers and she could still hold her own.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    No one think Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) should be on this list? Bc her skills are legit. Take away her super powers and she could still hold her own.
    Her training is basically standard hand to hand training most Marvel heroes have. She's an expert, but not a master (I would personally say the same for character for Mystique, Shadowcat, Okoye & Storm).
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 08-27-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Finesse would fall under augmented by powers since her memory recall can't be shut off.
    Hm okay, not too familiar with how her skills work exactly. That said, doesn't Domino rely heavily on her luck powers in fights and therefore should be also discounted?

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    It's always hard to tell with super-powered heroes' fighting prowess how much is due to skill and how much stat advantage. I personally wouldn't have her in the top ten but a case could be made for the honorable mentions.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

As a Wonder Woman pastiche, Power Princess should be pretty high in the top 10 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Her training is basically standard hand to hand training most Marvel heroes have. She's an expert, but not a master (I would personally say the same for character for Mystique, Shadowcat, Okoye & Storm).
    I disagree. None of the characters you named had “standard H2H” training. Same for Jessica. Their combat skills are expert level, which I think is beyond standard average, and some of them were extensively trained by some of the best martial artists and hand to hand fighters on the planet. That goes beyond basic training (i.e. military, police, etc). They have some impressive showings that a hero w/ basic combat skill likely could not do. For example, I don’t think most heroes with standard training could take on multiple ninjas or skilled opponents & dominate a close quarters fight. These ladies could, and some have done so.