Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

#5 was the last issue. The story concludes in Onslaught.
    My flag is bacon.

It would explain why so many are out of character with Onslaught being the villain of this whole era. But this seems so unimportant. And I'm one of the few that really liked Onslaught.

after today's preview and inferno promo covers...

i dont get the feeling onslaught will be one and done and will carry over into inferno..

I don't think the timing is a coincidence, especially since this version of Onslaught is also tied to Orchis and the psychic parasite we've seen in Legion's mind in WoX #2 looking suspiciously similar to Nimrod the Greater. Perhaps his influence on the Quiet Council being brought to light is what prompts Orchis to go on the offensive.
    There's also the fact Mystique was killed and resurrected following her attempt to sabotage Nimrod's creation, meaning that she's likely to be compromised by Onslaught as well, and may actually have provided Orchis with knowledge of Destiny's prophecies.

Astonishing Member

I'm actually kind of pleasantly surprised I called it, on a thread I can't remember I posited that Onslaught is feeding and growing because of so many minds being stored in bits and bytes in hardware on Cerebro(s), which is unnatural and Onslaught is precisely feeding on fragments(in book called offcuts) of overwritten or forgotten memories.Like those memories coalesced into or fuelled this being.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    By all accounts it sold very poorly, comparable to CotA. So it suddenly became a miniseries after Spurrier tried to tell everyone that it wasn't. Rumors about what's going to happen after Inferno are all over the place, with the most prominent being that basically every series is ending anyway and getting relaunched in January. Its hard to take anything the writers are saying seriously at this point.

Thinking on it more, Onslaught may have been a poor choice of villain for this series. While he's a huge deal, he's also been more a metaphor or a force of nature here. Or, more cynically, a scapegoat for all the terrible things characters have done in the relaunch. Onslaught himself has never spoken. We have no idea how or why he's back, or even how or why he's doing what he's doing, or even what exactly he's doing. And we only have one issue left to explain all of that and have a satisfying conclusion with Kurt and Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I'm actually kind of pleasantly surprised I called it, on a thread I can't remember I posited that Onslaught is feeding and growing because of so many minds being stored in bits and bytes in hardware on Cerebro(s), which is unnatural and Onslaught is precisely feeding on fragments(in book called offcuts) of overwritten or forgotten memories.Like those memories coalesced into or fuelled this being.
    Cerebrospinal needs a defrag program
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Thank god that Muller did a pass on the logo...

Don’t really think this is gonna have much continuity weight outside of Si’s next project. Also don't think Onslaught was changed or shoehorned. He’s been in it since issue 2 (so the script had most likely been finished before the series was announced).

The character just has a striking visual design and the story has been written for the point of taking on a metaphorical villain. It’s very similar to a lot of late 80s/early 90s Vertigo storylines in stuff like Hellblazer or Shade the Changing Man.

I would be surprised if this was a big continuity or retcon bender.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Well done! You’ve earned a No Prize!

What will make or break this whole series for me is if Onslaught and this final issue has an impact beyond this one book.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit and Syntax View Post
    Don’t really think this is gonna have much continuity weight outside of Si’s next project. Also don't think Onslaught was changed or shoehorned. He’s been in it since issue 2 (so the script had most likely been finished before the series was announced).

The character just has a striking visual design and the story has been written for the point of taking on a metaphorical villain. It’s very similar to a lot of late 80s/early 90s Vertigo storylines in stuff like Hellblazer or Shade the Changing Man.

Which given Spurrier’s last DC project, makes a lot of sense. As I said, it’s impact will depend on if it spreads beyond this book and has ramifications across the line, which I doubt it will.

Seeing how Onslaught appears to steal the memories that were lost during the resurrection process, maybe there's a chance that defeating him will help restore Rockslide and Gorgon's minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Seeing how Onslaught appears to steal the memories that were lost during the resurrection process, maybe there's a chance that defeating him will help restore Rockslide and Gorgon's minds.
    Possibly , but that was a different issue, Otherworld, so,I don’t think it will be addressed. Looks to me like Kurt is building a team of de-Onslaughted Academy mutants for the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    By all accounts it sold very poorly, comparable to CotA. So it suddenly became a miniseries after Spurrier tried to tell everyone that it wasn't. Rumors about what's going to happen after Inferno are all over the place, with the most prominent being that basically every series is ending anyway and getting relaunched in January. Its hard to take anything the writers are saying seriously at this point.

Way of X can be found within the top 50 list of each month contrary to CotA

July sales

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...mics-july-2021

June sales

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...mics-june-2021

May sales

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/vi...omics-may-2021
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spit and Syntax View Post

Issue 2 could have ended with the words "Krakoa, Kurt. It's Krakoa" would have fit in much better with some book about exploring mutants living on Krakoa. The way the Patchwork Man is portrayed and then the presence of Onslaught just don't mesh, it is like Bendis' Dark Beast reveal.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I swear to god if Dazzler gets pregnant I’m gonna be pissed. So spurrier writes really intelligent characters and her role as the number one cultural export behind drugs and domestic security technology from Mutants.

I know this is speculative but her and Nememsis hooking up during an issue about baby making while being relegated to the background with him seems sus. I thought the most recent issue of this book was supposed to feature her and Kurt all tied up and facing the ‘straw man’ themselves?