Default E.C archives to be reprinted

As I missed the boat on the hardback editions, it's great news that they are being re-printed in paperback editions. I received my Tales from the Crypt volume today and it looks marvelous. I already own a complete library set but they were in black and white, but now it's time to enjoy all that ghoulish fun in colour. The publisher does not seem to get much mention on the forum I wonder why, as EC is by far the greatest comic line (imho).
    Hail Hydra!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

The EC Archives are indeed very good.I have the Aces High and Tales of....Valor OHCs as well as Two-Fisted Tales Vol. 1, 3 and 4 in OHC. I wish they'd have Vol. 2 reprinted in OHC.

The offices of EC were a pot of gold when it came to their choice of artists such as George Evans drawing planes for Aces High then Graham Engels for his ghoulish renderings. Each artist was World class and to be gathered to together in one place was extraordinary.
    Hail Hydra!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    The offices of EC were a pot of gold when it came to their choice of artists such as George Evans drawing planes for Aces High then Graham Engels for his ghoulish renderings. Each artist was World class and to be gathered to together in one place was extraordinary.
    Yes, I agree. The stories were also a class above many others.

WOW! I had no idea these were being reprinted as paperbacks. I've got some orders to place... is there anywhere that these are being announced? I've found a few on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    WOW! I had no idea these were being reprinted as paperbacks. I've got some orders to place... is there anywhere that these are being announced? I've found a few on Amazon.
    Amazon UK is where I first came upon them as I'm going after the horror titles Tales Haunt and Vault. I've already got Tales volume 1 and pre-ordered volume 2 and again Haunt and Vault are on pre-order. Good luck in your search.
    Hail Hydra!

Incredible Member

Just a quick warning to completionists like myself: in addition to the 30 issues of Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt and 29 issues of Vault of Horror that EC published, issues 15 and 16 of Crime Patrol (which became Crypt of Terror with issue 17) and issues 10 and 11 of War Against Crime! (which became Vault of Horror with issue 12) each contain one Crypt Keeper/Vault Keeper story — tryouts, basically, which were successful enough to retitle the series and shift their focus from crime to horror.

I bring it up only because the TftC and VoH archives do NOT reprint these four proto-stories. So if you’re a madman/woman who wants ALL of the EC horror material, in addition to the archives, you’d want reprints of Crime Patrol 15 and 16 and War Against Crime 10 and 11. (Personally, I got the Gemstone softcover reprints that collect five issues apiece.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Just a quick warning to completionists like myself: in addition to the 30 issues of Crypt of Terror/Tales from the Crypt and 29 issues of Vault of Horror that EC published, issues 15 and 16 of Crime Patrol (which became Crypt of Terror with issue 17) and issues 10 and 11 of War Against Crime! (which became Vault of Horror with issue 12) each contain one Crypt Keeper/Vault Keeper story — tryouts, basically, which were successful enough to retitle the series and shift their focus from crime to horror.

I bring it up only because the TftC and VoH archives do NOT reprint these four proto-stories. So if you’re a madman/woman who wants ALL of the EC horror material, in addition to the archives, you’d want reprints of Crime Patrol 15 and 16 and War Against Crime 10 and 11. (Personally, I got the Gemstone softcover reprints that collect five issues apiece.)
    That's very interesting thanks for the warning, I have the collected Crime issues in those little annuals they put out years ago.
    Hail Hydra!

Incredible Member

That's very interesting thanks for the warning, I have the collected Crime issues in those little annuals they put out years ago.
    Yep, that’s what I have them in too!

I’m not going to say they’re great stories; you can tell they’re still trying to straddle the line between crime and horror. All four of the stories feature supposedly supernatural occurrences that end up having rational explanations, Scooby Doo-style. But I guess they must have gotten a lot of letters responding positively to those stories over the others, since Crypt of Terror and Vault of Horror quickly took over the books, with Haunt of Fear following not long after.
    Last edited by The Lucky One; 08-31-2021 at 05:39 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

My EC collection is all over the place. I have plenty of the new Fantagraphic B/W artist centered book, some Gemstone oversized hardbacks, one treasury sized book, a 70s reprint of Vault of Horror, and a few 90s fat trade like books. I don’t get who owns EC but I can’t believe it’s not DC comics. I guess they let the Spirit go too. It surprises me considering the ties to MAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    My EC collection is all over the place. I have plenty of the new Fantagraphic B/W artist centered book, some Gemstone oversized hardbacks, one treasury sized book, a 70s reprint of Vault of Horror, and a few 90s fat trade like books. I don’t get who owns EC but I can’t believe it’s not DC comics. I guess they let the Spirit go too. It surprises me considering the ties to MAD.
    Actually EC came from DC as the founder Max Gaines worked there originally during DC's foundation and then became publisher of EC which was known as Educational Comics later to become Entertaining Comics. As for an EC collection I'm just as MAD I have all the Artist editions, annuals, and collected library the books plus paperbacks. Heck I even own a life size TV Crypt keeper bust from the actual prop.
    Hail Hydra!

All-New Member

As I missed the boat on the hardback editions, it's great news that they are being re-printed in paperback editions. I received my Tales from the Crypt volume today and it looks marvelous. I already own a complete library set but they were in black and white, but now it's time to enjoy all that ghoulish fun in colour. The publisher does not seem to get much mention on the forum I wonder why, as EC is by far the greatest comic line (imho).
    This is great news. Yesterday I came across a soon-to-release Ec Archives Collected Edition on Amazon dot com. Don't remember the exact title but i think it was named adult crime or something like that. Think it had 3 issues in total. The sample pages displayed on amazon were all black and white. But the digital copies i have in my collection are all in color and would love to grab the paperback reprints in color as well.

Do you have any news whether they will reprint them in color or not? And are they gonna reprint all of the titles including CrimeSuspense Stories, ShockSuspense Stories, Weird Science, Weird Fantasy etc.?
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Drag0n View Post
    This is great news. Yesterday I came across a soon-to-release Ec Archives Collected Edition on Amazon dot com. Don't remember the exact title but i think it was named adult crime or something like that. Think it had 3 issues in total. The sample pages displayed on amazon were all black and white. But the digital copies i have in my collection are all in color and would love to grab the paperback reprints in color as well.

Do you have any news whether they will reprint them in color or not? And are they gonna reprint all of the titles including CrimeSuspense Stories, ShockSuspense Stories, Weird Science, Weird Fantasy etc.?
    Thanks
    Yes they are in colour as I got the recent Shocksuspense volume, so they are going the full reprint route.
    Hail Hydra!