Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Can "HOX/POX" era could avoid the same fate as "DC Rebirth"

Back in 2016, DC Comics launches an initiative calls "DC Rebirth" which bought back the legacy and history of DC Universe which was lost during the New 52. At that time, Geoff John is the head of DC for the supervision of the wide line-Up. However, around 2018. Geoff Johns has step down his roles as a EICC to work for the tv production. This cause the direction in DC Rebirth has completely gone and then DC Universe went edgy and dark. Then, Bendis comes to DC to write from the Best Superman run to the worst/mediocore runs.Wally West, Jon Kent and Nightwing. Who will the best part for the DC Rebirth has got assasinated to worst the moment another editors step up.

Now here we are, Jonathan Hickman is the head of X after launching the initiative call "Dawn of X/Reign of X". Every mutants are getting a new status quo in the land of Krakoa. We all see this coming after Jonathan has confirm to step down from the X-books by concluding his mini call "Inferno". But the bad side is can the X-Men could avoid the grim future after the orginal EICC step down.

Hickman left to avoid messing up the status quo.

Also Rebirth was always doomed to failure by being tied to a project as misguided as Doomsday Clock.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post

Also Rebirth was always doomed to failure by being tied to a project as misguided as Doomsday Clock.
    Hickman's tenure shows in itself that he had little time ro build things up and tear it down within what? 2yrs. For that reason His run felt short compared what he did with other mainstream books. I don't think he would have messed the status if he was given more time.

Hickman left because Marvel wants to stall here; allowing Hickman to bring his narrative to its planned conclusion isn't the same thing as messing it up. I don't necessarily think we're gonna get very dark, but it's more likely that there'll be a general drop in either individual quality or overall narrative without the chief architect.

The main Rebirth throwline was doomed, but the overarching initiative didn't have to be. DC deliberately turned back around on the very things that had fans excited for Rebirth in the first place, although I'll grant that Marvel is more likely to double-down on the elements that the fanbase loves about the Krakoa era. The main problems they'd face would be general quality control and stalling too long.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So...yet another Krakoa era is Doomed to death and failure...again.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Hickman left because Marvel wants to stall here; allowing Hickman to bring his narrative to its planned conclusion isn't the same thing as messing it up. I don't necessarily think we're gonna get very dark, but it's more likely that there'll be a general drop in either individual quality or overall narrative without the chief architect.

The main Rebirth throwline was doomed, but the overarching initiative didn't have to be. DC deliberately turned back around on the very things that had fans excited for Rebirth in the first place, although I'll grant that Marvel is more likely to double-down on the elements that the fanbase loves about the Krakoa era. The main problems they'd face would be general quality control and stalling too long.
    You are absolute right. I remember when DC Rebirth was launch back then, everyone was so excited to return to DC Comics. Mostly for Supersons, the return of Wally West and the bright future of Superfamily including the restoration of the lost history of legacy. But after Geoff step down, all these plans are no longer exist in the eye of editors.

On the X-Men side, I am sure some people doesn't want to see another island get burned down only for the mutants to revert living in the city again fill with hated and discrimination.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 08-29-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Just keep saying it every six months. Eventually it will actually end, and suddenly the doomsayers will magically be right and hope we will forget the forty-seven times they were wrong before. Stopped clock syndrome. Just wait long enough and oh, it's finally come true!

Mighty Member

I hope X-Men could go strong with the departure of Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    You are absolute right. I remember when DC Rebirth was launch back then, everyone was so excited to return to DC Comics. Mostly for Supersons, the return of Wally West and the bright future of Superfamily including the restoration of the lost history of legacy. But after Geoff step down, all these plans are no longer exist in the eye of editors.

On the X-Men side, I am sure some people doesn't want to see another island get burned down only for the mutants to revert living in the city again fill with hated and discrimination.
    The day that I see the tagline “MORE HATED AND FEARED THAN EVER,” will be the day that I probably step away from X-comics. The endless misery cycle is not it.

Extraordinary Member

This is a bit of a loaded question because I don't think Rebirth had a 'fate' other than what happens after every relaunch in the last decade whether that is DC or Marvel. Whether it is just over the top marketing that gets people's hopes up, or an in universe story, people will go into it with different expectations.

Some people had certain, specific, expectations after Rebirth that were not met. I did not.

Some people had certain, less specific, expecations after HoXPoX that were not met. I did.

So, for me, HoXPoX will probably be a disappointment in the way that some people felt Rebirth was a disappointment.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The day that I see the tagline “MORE HATED AND FEARED THAN EVER,” will be the day that I probably step away from X-comics. The endless misery cycle is not it.
    The weird thing is that the best selling runs of the past decade were all positive and optimistic in tone - Gillen, Bendis, Hickman. Duggan said his first 12 issues will have some wins, too. Hopefully, it’ll be like the Extinction team. Krakoa is incredibly empowering as a concept. A couple of writers who aren’t wired that way don’t get it, but the rest have at least tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I mean, Hickman's departure is a legitimate concern. OP is just raising a point I and others have made - there's higher likelihood of decline now that the key player is largely out.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post

There are more differences than similarities between Rebirth and Krakoa, so if the latter fails, it'll be from its own faults. Maybe there are lessons to be learned from some of the creative decline post-Rebirth?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    We don't have to choose between that or Krakoa, and I'll keep saying that until it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This is a bit of a loaded question because I don't think Rebirth had a 'fate' other than what happens after every relaunch in the last decade whether that is DC or Marvel. Whether it is just over the top marketing that gets people's hopes up, or an in universe story, people will go into it with different expectations.

Some people had certain, specific, expectations after Rebirth that were not met. I did not.

Some people had certain, less specific, expecations after HoXPoX that were not met. I did.

So, for me, HoXPoX will probably be a disappointment in the way that some people felt Rebirth was a disappointment.
    The way I see it, Rebirth was a promise that DC did not keep.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Comparing Hickman to Johns kind of makes my stomach turn. Thanks for that.

Misguided?

That’s putting it mildly.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

DC Rebirth died because the creatives at DC went back to the bad habits from the New 52 era.

- Bendis destroyed Superman, Supersons and LSH
    - Tom King destroyed Batman and the Titans
    - The writers who took over Hal's book just tried to rehash Johns

As long as the X-Office doesn't do the stupid crap they did during the Inhumans push we'll be good.

It's sad to see Hickman leave but it's pretty obvious that he didn't have full control in the end and that what he had planned wasn't lining up with what the higher-ups did.
    "Cable was right!"