Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Fantastic Four (2004) movie: What do you think?

Before the debut of MCU and the blockbuster movies like Spider-Man and X-Men are releasing in the big screen. There is a Fantastic Four movie produce by 20th Century Studios. The only good about this movies are the casting. But I am not sure when it come to characteristics and the plot. Here, Ben is completely angst the whole movies as compared to the comics, while Sue Storm was whinely and crying like she doesn't seem have a sweet personality and more like a emotional girl. The only characteristic that remain the same is Johnny Storm. Doom's introduction in the movie was quite short and yet still have the best entrance. Overalls, it was a okay movie.

Ben-Johnny dynamic was good. Other than that it was painfully mediocre. The worst part is turning Doom into Osborn-lite.

Ultimate Member

It was awful. Nothing happened in the movie. Doom was poorly done. But I'd argue the F4 were accurate to their comic versions, which is why the movie didn't do well

Iconic & Genius also my childhood.

BANNED

If the movie had come it in the mid 2010s. Critics would have been nicer. it is very MCU as a movie.

BANNED

Kindest thing: The best of all live action FF released in theatres.

The movie was miscast in terms of Reed, Sue, Victor.

Tonally the movie got the spirit of the FF and didn’t make it too dark. But visually it was far too dry and tame.
    The characterisation of Reed as this nerd pining away for Sue was too cliched.
    The characterisation of Sue was if possible more sexist than even Stan Lee’s writing with naked jokes and so on.

Ultimate Member

I liked Johnny and Ben. I liked how in the end, all four of them combined their powers in a sort of team stunt (since that, at least, felt very 'on-brand' for them).

And, that's pretty much it. Not a great movie. And the sequel was even worse. Instead of a cool 'coming together as a team' finale, it was 'let's jam together all the boring people's powers onto the popular actor and have him solo it!'

Sue is my favorite Marvel character and at the time it was released -even if Alba would not have been my first choice- the movie and its sequel hold a special place in my heart.

Very mediocre. But it’s better than that abomination that came out in 2015.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Both movies were mediocre, but they had the two best Stan Lee cameos ever. An actual comic character and a comic-cannon cameo!

Also I'm still impressed by Chris Evans being able to play so well polar opposites like Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers.
    Concerning Jessica Alba... Well, I'd accept her as any character, miscast or not.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Ultimate Member

I feel like Alba is barely an actress. She's never convinced me in any role she's been in. I can't see her being cast in the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I feel like Alba is barely an actress. She's never convinced me in any role she's been in. I can't see her being cast in the MCU
    I feel the same way about Scarlett Johansson.

Anyway, I actually liked the 2005 FF movie. Wasn't perfect, but wasn't horrible either. It was fun and action packed. Wish the four symbol was in the middle of the costumes, but Hollywood's always gotta change something. Both the sequel and that 2015 reboot were abominations. I think Hollywood needs to let the FF be at rest instead of rebooting this franchise to death to find that "perfect" FF movie that people will love. Thing of it is, most comic book movies are not perfect.

Spectacular Member

I so wanted to like the movie. In fact they took my two nephews to see it. As it turns out, it was completely pedestrian, it could have easily been a movie of the week on TV.

The first misstep was what they did with Doctor Doom. Turning him into corporate shark with barely passing connection with his European roots and then including him the flight that gave the Fantastic Four their powers was completely out of character and likely studio driven. Inserting him into a love triangle with Sue and Reed only made it worse.

Reed was way too timid and feckless. In fact, he didn't show any real initiative until the last third of the second movie.
    Sue acted completely domineering in relationships with Reed and Johnny. Her compassion didn't really show until the second movie.
    Personality wise, Johnny and Ben were spot on. The Torch's powers were well represented by the special effects of the time.
    The Thing suit was OK but not nearly as effective as it needed to be.

The movie pacing was horrible. The entire middle section when the 4 were goofing around at home while Reed tries to figure out what the hell is going on completely killed any momentum the movie had. I'm pretty sure that was when my nephews checked out of the film.

About the best I could say about the movie is the Fantastic Four uniforms were good.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I feel the same way about Scarlett Johansson.

Anyway, I actually liked the 2005 FF movie. Wasn't perfect, but wasn't horrible either. It was fun and action packed. Wish the four symbol was in the middle of the costumes, but Hollywood's always gotta change something. Both the sequel and that 2015 reboot were abominations. I think Hollywood needs to let the FF be at rest instead of rebooting this franchise to death to find that "perfect" FF movie that people will love. Thing of it is, most comic book movies are not perfect.
    I'd still take Johansson over Alba.

I don't think any F4 movie is good so far. And while I like to give everything a chance, I don't really believe a good F4 film is possible. The inherent dynamic is part of the problem, because IMO the 2005 movie did replicate it, but it didn't sell well on screen, even back then.

It was better than Trank's version, but surprising worse that Corman's version.