Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Danel Larusso Riding A Motorcycle And Then Throwing A Samurai: https://gfycat.com/nauticalspiffycob
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

i guess no one likes Yujiro Hanma's earthquake-stopping punch?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguin-in-leather-jacket View Post
    i guess no one likes Yujiro Hanma's earthquake-stopping punch?
    I mean, do people like Yujiro Hanma at all, generally?

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

Here's a rather obscure yet broken feat taken place in the Battletech universe (aka Mechwarrior in case people only knew those games). The infamous Phantom Mech incident.

In this hopeless situation, Morgan Kell stepped forward in his Archer and recounted the heroic deeds of his ancestors in Japanese, calling for a duel with a member of the 2nd Sword of Light. It obviously fell to the regiment's commander, Yorinaga Kurita, to answer the call; he stepped forward in his Warhammer and listed the deeds of his ancestors as well, in precise English. Although the combatants' respective BattleMech models meant that Kell was clearly disadvantaged at shorter ranges, he ignored his LRM-20 launchers and chose to engage the Warhammer at very short range in a direct match. There could be no doubt that he was offering his life for that of his men, and was going to sacrifice himself.

Yorinaga Kurita essentially defeated Morgan Kell in the fight. In the end, Kurita feigned the failure of his right PPC, then surprisingly used it to shoot off the Archer's right arm. Kell's critically damaged 'Mech toppled to its knees right in front of Kurita's Warhammer who then fired all weapons at Kell's Archer ("Alpha strike") at pointblank range, but miraculously missed with each and every weapon although Kell did not even move. Conversely, Kell fired his long-range missile launchers. The missiles failed to arm due to the very short range; their impact did crack open the canopy of Kurita's 'Mech, however. Kurita fired all his weapons once more, only to completely miss Kell again.
    ...Keep in mind these guys are piloting giant machines and are skilled pilots...So how in the blue hell did Yorinaga miss every freaking shot? At point blank? Even Kell at the time was utterly confused at this event.

Hell, the entire fanbase didn't know what to make of it. Battletech never had any sort of supernatural powers at work and even though lost advanced technology does exist, there's never implication Kell had any in his mech...And it's less likely there's tech that can even do this anyway. So what is this?

...And the lore never does explain this other than it happened like 2-3 more times with at least three people affected by it.

It's ridiculous especially when there's nothing to explain it but yeah, I love this.

Extraordinary Member

Basically everything that the master class people in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi do. They're not broken when compared to each other, but when compared to the kids that we actually follow in the story they're kinda hilarious.

A personal favourite is when the Ryozanpaku crew hold back a massive explosion by punching and kicking at it.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Everything Vampire Hunter D does.
    I'd have to echo this. That stuff gets so hilariously broken compared to the baseline of that universe that sometimes when D is put in a "how will he get out of this" situation you can practically feel the "Psych!" leap off the page and slap you in the face.

Sometimes human onlookers will only be able to perceive what appears to be a conversation between D and an opponent when they are actually throwing blades at each other with superfast exchances; fast enough that vampire stakes hurled through the air catch on fire from air friction. The dude dodges lightning elementals while partially submerged in a river and entangled by a water beast. He's ridiculous.

I'll add Tenchi Masaki's feat of starting to tear an entire multiverse apart when his powers raged out of control, to the point that the space outside of creation was shaking. Only because the series never even tried to have any serious villains after that point. It was all resolving politics and the harem. With my favorite part of the politics being the declaration that Tenchi's house and its surrounding land is its own sovereign nation in the eyes of the interstellar community while Earth is still an undeveloped civilization, all because they want to be able to create laws preventing any one interstellar government from being able to claim sole alliance with the most powerful house in the multiverse.

Anything in almost every single JoJo fight. The series has what I would argue is genuinely terrible writing, but I still love it because it's also so genuinely earnest with its random bullshit.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Anything in almost every single JoJo fight. The series has what I would argue is genuinely terrible writing, but I still love it because it's also so genuinely earnest with its random bullshit.
    Absolutely. It's so nonsense it's borderline insulting. But watching the 5 seasons of it have been some of the best anime I have ever watched. I can barely wait for 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    I'd have to echo this. That stuff gets so hilariously broken compared to the baseline of that universe that sometimes when D is put in a "how will he get out of this" situation you can practically feel the "Psych!" leap off the page and slap you in the face.

Sometimes human onlookers will only be able to perceive what appears to be a conversation between D and an opponent when they are actually throwing blades at each other with superfast exchances; fast enough that vampire stakes hurled through the air catch on fire from air friction. The dude dodges lightning elementals while partially submerged in a river and entangled by a water beast. He's ridiculous.
    I wish it had gotten an anime series showing that stuff off. JoJo and the various OP isekai animes have shown there is demand for that sort of thing.

Basically everything Old Ancestor does in DTG.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Old man Jirou from Toriko managing to freeze everything on a Jupiter-sized planet, including the waves, by using his Knocking technique on the ground. Keep in mind that Knocking had been portrayed as a technique that freezes living animals using *pressure points* up to that point in the story.

It may have been mentioned, but if so, it deserves another; when Super Broly and Blue Gogeta are fighting, they accidentally punch so hard, they break through to an entirely different dimension for a short time (and then break back out). Gogeta was clearly taken by surprise, and if Broly hadn't been so consumed by grief and rage, he would have been just as shocked as Gogeta.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Basically everything Old Ancestor does in DTG.
    He does tend to crap all over the power curve.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    JoJo is a series of stories where the plot "Paraplegic jockey with the power to fire off his fingernails teams up with an Italian executioner, a Secret Service Nun, and a man who can turn into a dinosaur to stop the President of the United States from gathering the pieces of Jesus" is just accepted without question.

Of course, the original story was "British Gentleman fights his adopted brother-turned-vampire by punching him with the power of the sun".
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    JoJo is a series of stories where the plot "Paraplegic jockey with the power to fire off his fingernails teams up with an Italian executioner, a Secret Service Nun, and a man who can turn into a dinosaur to stop the President of the United States from gathering the pieces of Jesus" is just accepted without question.

Of course, the original story was "British Gentleman fights his adopted brother-turned-vampire by punching him with the power of the sun".
    Don't forget that the Paraplegic Jockey and the (vastly bulkier) British Gentleman are technically the same person after the British Gentleman's Adopted-Brother-Turned-Vampire (who was an alternate version of The Man Who Can Turn Into A Dinosaur) had his Priest Boyfriend Who Steals Powers From Other People's Souls reset the universe in a mostly failed attempt to make it so that the British Gentleman's family never existed.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 09-09-2021 at 11:03 PM.

I have never experienced JoJo, but I am now somewhat intrigued.