Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocketeer II

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    But in this case, I do understand it, I just don't feel excited over it. There's a difference between understanding and feeling.

(also I live a pretty **** life)
    I hope you don't feel ganged up on as I was satisfied with your response to my earlier post, but I would say this conversation has shifted to be not be about what you feel or don't feel, but about how your statement (that you were indifferent) was perceived as raining on someone else's parade. It unfortunately diluted any message of support you meant to show, especially as you can understand, that this might be an emotional topic.

On another topic, I saw some of the "Rocketeer" kid's show and it was cute. It was clearly contemporary, but it paid tribute to the original (they literally had a statue built of him) and using it as a touchstone was an intrinsic part of the nostalgic, "Norman Rockwell" values it tried to embody.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-01-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I hope you don't feel ganged up on as I was satisfied with your response to my earlier post, but I would say this conversation has shifted to be not be about what you feel or don't feel, but about how your statement (that you were indifferent) was perceived as raining on someone else's parade. It unfortunately diluted any message of support you meant to show, especially as you can understand, that this might be an emotional topic.

On another topic, I saw some of the "Rocketeer" kid's show and it was cute. It was clearly contemporary, but it paid tribute to the original (they literally had a statue built of him) and using it as a touchstone was an intrinsic part of the nostalgic, "Norman Rockwell" values it tried to embody.
    A bit - like I said, I never meant nor expected my comment to have such a strong reaction, so I was taken somewhat uncomfortably offguard. Normally raining on someone's parade is saying it is or will be bad or similar, like you kind of know you're being negative but you feel negative so you don't care, whereas I didn't mean to come across such cause here. First time I've ever had that reaction from just saying that one aspect of a thing doesn't really excite me. Normally it's the thing I'm more prepared for when I've something actually against a movie.

Glad you like the kid's show. It does look cute, reminds me of PJ Masks which is good for a preschool show. Hopefully it inspires its young audience and helps make a new generation of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think a lot of James Horner's music was played in several movie trailers. He did have a tendency to reuse many of his own themes at times as well (His ALIENS score used a lot of slightly altered music from his Star Trek stuff, for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Considering how Cameron screwed him over and he had no time to write the score, can't blame him.
    Didn't Horner say Cameron only gave him two weeks to write the score to Aliens? And it was right around the time he was writing the score for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. No wonder they sounded so similar at times.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    the rocketeer, phantom, and shadow are all great fun to me even though i've ready very few of the comics.
    Don't forget Dick Tracy!

Rocketeer was a favorite of mine when it came out. I look forward to seeing a new take on it (I fully expect the enemies to be the Russians, but I'd love to see him buzz a Klan meeting). I only hope they keep the design similar, if not the same. The helmet is iconic; and the movie's jetpack is FAR superior to what was shown in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Rocketeer was a favorite of mine when it came out. I look forward to seeing a new take on it (I fully expect the enemies to be the Russians, but I'd love to see him buzz a Klan meeting). I only hope they keep the design similar, if not the same. The helmet is iconic; and the movie's jetpack is FAR superior to what was shown in the comics.
    Yeah, I hope they keep the costume relatively the same. It's a pretty timeless retro look .

Didn't Horner say Cameron only gave him two weeks to write the score to Aliens? And it was right around the time he was writing the score for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. No wonder they sounded so similar at times.

Don't forget Dick Tracy!

Agreed on the costume, you don't futz with perfection.

If they manage to capture the feel and tone and just plain magic of the first one (unlikely, can never capture lightning in a bottle twice) this should be highly entertaining. I absolutely loved the original.
    Likewise great flick with a golden age feel

Don't forget Dick Tracy!

Long story short, he was supposed to have 7 weeks to write the score. Cameron got WAY behind schedule and kept editing and changing the film. Horner wrote the end of the film basically over night to make it on stands for the musicians to record. This is a great interview about the whole thing.

AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Long story short, he was supposed to have 7 weeks to write the score. Cameron got WAY behind schedule and kept editing and changing the film. Horner wrote the end of the film basically over night to make it on stands for the musicians to record. This is a great interview about the whole thing.

I knew it was an insanely short amount of time. I also knew it was such a bad experience for Horner, he wouldn't work with Cameron again until Titanic.

Won't it be a bit out of it's own time? The Rocketeer is more of a late Deco era hero.

Spectacular Member

A bit - like I said, I never meant nor expected my comment to have such a strong reaction, so I was taken somewhat uncomfortably offguard. Normally raining on someone's parade is saying it is or will be bad or similar, like you kind of know you're being negative but you feel negative so you don't care, whereas I didn't mean to come across such cause here. First time I've ever had that reaction from just saying that one aspect of a thing doesn't really excite me. Normally it's the thing I'm more prepared for when I've something actually against a movie.
    I can imagine I had a similar reaction to when I read one of the early Kelly Sue DeConnick Captain Marvel trade paperbacks. I had a sort of objective appreciation for it, and felt that some people (especially women) would enjoy it for what it is and/or represents. But to me it was just another comic book and not one I was super interested in seeing more of.

Funny thing about the ALIENS score, for the scene when Ripley ejects the Queen, originally Horner had a different score for that scene that was more kind of heroic sounding. However, in the finished film, what we got was a reprise of the countdown music heard minutes before (Still kind of works though).

His original score for the scene was used at the end of DIE HARD for the scene in which Powell finishes off Karl. (Rest of the score is Michael Kamen's work though).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing about the ALIENS score, for the scene when Ripley ejects the Queen, originally Horner had a different score for that scene that was more kind of heroic sounding. However, in the finished film, what we got was a reprise of the countdown music heard minutes before (Still kind of works though).

His original score for the scene was used at the end of DIE HARD for the scene in which Powell finishes off Karl. (Rest of the score is Michael Kamen's work though).
    Fascinating! Never knew that about Die Hard.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Fascinating! Never knew that about Die Hard.
    Here's the story from Wiki's entry on DIE HARD:

McTiernan did not like a piece created for the final scene where Karl attempts to kill McClane, and decided to use a temporary track that was already in place; a piece of James Horner's unused score for Aliens (1986). Cues are also used from the 1987 action film Man on Fire.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Love pulp stuff, and loved The Rocketeer when it came out. (And The Shadow, and now I realize I never got around to watching The Phantom, so I simply have to correct that grievous oversight!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Love pulp stuff, and loved The Rocketeer when it came out. (And The Shadow, and now I realize I never got around to watching The Phantom, so I simply have to correct that grievous oversight!)
    Well, then you can't miss "Doc Savage, The Man of Bronze."

Mona: "I love you."
    Doc Savage: "Mona... you're a brick."