Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
The issue with Joao goes beyond what happened in this issue. Joelle IMMEDIATELY started setting him up as a love interest for Yara before the girl has really gotten on her feet - in a lot of ways one of my biggest issues with the book in general is that in a few ways, while I'm enjoying it, it doesn't feel genuine. It feels like Joelle is trying to make Yara as close to she was in Future State as possible without showing us entirely how she gets there; she's a little less skilled than she was in Future State but she acts exactly the same, and idk. The pacing just feels off, overall.
Pacing is one thing but the criticism I've read seems to be more focused on having a romantic interest in general. Which is a strange criticism considering many superheroes come with romantic interests baked in basically at the onset.

Jones will tell the story as she sees fit and I personally have no strong issue with the narrative or pacing. I'm digging it. I wish Jones could draw the entirety of every issue but I understand that, to keep up the monthly schedule, that she cannot (even though she managed on Catwoman for some time, but she did have fill-in teams every now and then and then Blanco was brought in as the long-term artist).