Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    Oh, sorry I have an opinion. Sorry your majesty, I won't post in these threads again since apparently you own them.

I'll stick to Diana, Donna and Cassie or at least wait until Yara gets a writer who doesn't feel compelled to stick a d*ck in her 3 issues in. What a wonderful role model for my daughter.

This subforum is so toxic it's not even funny.
    I don't get what is so hard to understand about some Wonder Woman fans not falling head over heels for 100 % of the developments, characters, and stories associated with WW and her mythos. It is perfectly ok to dislike Yara and or disliking any of her plotlines, and I don't mind that you don't care about this Joao dude. I hope that you don't stop posting here because some other WW fans are bothered by your opinions, which you have always shared respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    She would only do slow burn if they were a long-term thing. All I see is two characters who liked hanging out together and found each other attractive then decided to act on it based on the given circumstances (near-death experience giving them adrenaline).

I don't think there needs to be built up for every kiss. Sometimes a kiss/hookup just happens. Yara is an impulsive and carefree character, I don't find it surprising she acted on whatever attraction she felt quickly.
    With the promise that she’s coming back for him, (after being stabbed with a literal love arrow to make her fall for a god) it felt like more than a hookup. (Or maybe he's just that good a kisser)
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-01-2021 at 02:25 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I don't get what is so hard to understand about some Wonder Woman fans not falling head over heels for 100 % of the developments, characters, and stories associated with WW and her mythos. It is perfectly ok to dislike Yara and or disliking any of her plotlines, and I don't mind that you don't care about this Joao dude. I hope that you don't stop posting here because some other WW fans are bothered by your opinions, which you have always shared respectfully.
    You and Marik and posters that share your opinion are welcome to it, but other posters like myself are also able to express ours and engage in conversation. You can dislike aspects about an issue or run and still like it overall. Or not.

However, saying something like "gets a writer who doesn't feel compelled to stick a d*ck in her 3 issues in" is neither respectful nor honest. There has been like two kisses max. Nowhere was there fornication involved and hyperbolic language like that screams victim complex. Marik Swift posted their opinion and some posters countered it with their own. That's how forums work, no? But this "subforum is so toxic it's not even funny".

Kay, cool.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    You and Marik and posters that share your opinion are welcome to it, but other posters like myself are also able to express ours and engage in conversation. You can dislike aspects about an issue or run and still like it overall. Or not.

However, saying something like "gets a writer who doesn't feel compelled to stick a d*ck in her 3 issues in" is neither respectful nor honest. There has been like two kisses max. Nowhere was there fornication involved and hyperbolic language like that screams victim complex. Marik Swift posted their opinion and some posters countered it with their own. That's how forums work, no? But this "subforum is so toxic it's not even funny".

Kay, cool.
    They called me a troll for sharing my opinion and I'm the one being disrespectful? My response being a general statement rather than directed at everyone.

I didn't quote anyone, and my post could have just as easily been ignored, but yea, sure, single out and quote my post and then turn it into some kind of personal attack against you and then shift the narrative as a personal attack and insult me for it. Smooth.

It's amazing the way you change what happened for the sake of your own argument.

Kay, cool.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 09-01-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Incredible Member

I'm ready for this guy to show up!

Yara and Jerry.jpg

Oh, sorry I have an opinion. Sorry your majesty, I won't post in these threads again since apparently you own them.

I'll stick to Diana, Donna and Cassie or at least wait until Yara gets a writer who doesn't feel compelled to stick a d*ck in her 3 issues in. What a wonderful role model for my daughter — don't bother being independent, just jump into the first relationship you find with the first man who shows remote interest in you.

This subforum is so toxic it's not even funny.
    ooooook! I see that hasty (and incorrect) story assessments and hyperbole are your language. I think you should go back an re-read your post to see who’s actually being toxic here.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I have given this book (and character) three whole issues to entrance me, move me, compel me...anything that would make me go, "oh, now I see why this Yara person is supposed to be a great addition to the WW mythos." To be honest, it still has not done anything to convince me it is a character worth my time, but I am glad that some people are enjoying her adventures. Me, I'll stick to Diana, Nubia, and Donna.
    You seem to be uninterested but still respectfull and that's cool.
    I have a genuine question, not being sarcastic. What made you value Donna and Nubia as members of the Wonder Family?

I really don't understand why "being an independant female hero" and "having the hots for a guy she meets" would be opposite statements. She's a young woman that apparently likes men, and can do whatever she wants with them in a consenting manner (they're young, let them have fun lol), and is still an independant hero who can be a role model, without depending on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I really don't understand why "being an independant female hero" and "having the hots for a guy she meets" would be opposite statements. She's a young woman that apparently likes men, and can do whatever she wants with them in a consenting manner (they're young, let them have fun lol), and is still an independant hero who can be a role model, without depending on anyone.
    Honestly from what I've read it seems he/she is more upset about the love interest being a man rather than a woman. If it was a woman I think he/she would be upset. That's what it sounds like.

They called me a troll for sharing my opinion and I'm the one being disrespectful? My response being a general statement rather than directed at everyone.

I didn't quote anyone, and my post could have just as easily been ignored, but yea, sure, single out and quote my post and then turn it into some kind of personal attack against you and then shift the narrative as a personal attack and insult me for it. Smooth.

It's amazing the way you change what happened for the sake of your own argument.

Kay, cool.
    I'm a fifty-plus, multicultural, mixed race, Mexican American man (no kids) and comic fan, ..and I bristled a little, upon first encountering the indiscrete way Yara Flor's natural, healthy sexual interest was portrayed.

I bristled, recalling the comparatively, almost demure displays of Donna's, Cassie's and Diana's interactions, with men - Nubia's overtly intolerant, nigh misandrist displays - I felt Yara's was a little out there. I asked myself, if the writer had the fabled lustiness of Hollywood Latinas, in mind. I think you raise a legitimate speculation, on how this new, Latina Wonder Girl is being written, ..and asking whether she is being unduly sexualized, when compared to the crypto-Greek and American Wonder-women.

Cassie, for a hot minute, was portrayed as goofy, nerdy, coltish, awkward, unsure, innocent ..and physically underdeveloped. Basically, Cassie got to be a little girl, and even Donna, way back in the day, got to be, at least...cute? Comparatively, while more covered, than Bob Kanigher's Wonder Girl, Miss Yara's entering the superheroine arena, with glossy lips, teased hair, a bi-iigg, ole butt ..and an eye for studs! U-uuh...sure - I don't think a question or two is out of bounds.

Yes, I understand Yara is older, than Cassie was, starting off. Cassie is Anglo, and Yara is Latin. Still...?

I feel a little protective of her, ..even if she is just a cartoon. I think any Latino man would, because her association with Wonder Woman, makes her a symbol - an avatar of Latin-x femininity. They aren't exactly growing on trees, and young people will be modeling their ideas about - here's the dangerous part - what the world expects from them: Latina heroines. We want writers to be a little...careful? I guess?

Knowing Dolores Huerta is a real heroine, celebrated among Latinos and people, sympathetic to our progress, is fine and dandy. For young people it's more complicated. Young Latinos are looking at what the world wants to see their people doing - who is rewarded, with popularity, ..and who isn't - and for what? They're asking, does Yara have to be sexually expressive to be celebrated, like the other Wonders?

And what do I have to do, to be embraced? What will I have to show the world, to be loved, by it?

Yes, Mark. I get it. I think your speculation, when it comes to Yara, is right on time.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-22-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: style, clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I think Mel Dyers observation is an important argument. And it's very different from the discussion they were having about promiscuity.

There's no doubt that Yara Flor is made in the image of Beyoncé, who is nowadays thought of as an icon who owns her sexuality, rather than being exploited. Everything you mention would also applies to black women and girls. I'm not sure how I feel about all of this, but I just wanted to widen the context.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think Mel Dyers observation is an important argument. And it's very different from the discussion they were having about promiscuity.

There's no doubt that Yara Flor is made in the image of Beyoncé, who is nowadays thought of as an icon who owns her sexuality, rather than being exploited. Everything you mention would also applies to black women and girls. I'm not sure how I feel about all of this, but I just wanted to widen the context.
    I got more Jlo then Bey but its always a nice compliment

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I have only read the two issues of new frontier Yara and I am not 100% certain what makes Yara in the image of Beyonce. Care to explain, or is she just fierce about her own sexuality which you can say the same for plenty of singers and or rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I have only read the two issues of new frontier Yara and I am not 100% certain what makes Yara in the image of Beyonce. Care to explain, or is she just fierce about her own sexuality which you can say the same for plenty of singers and or rappers.
    Joelle Jones herself confirmed that she was inspired by Beyoncé (but I had already assumed so)

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2021/...n-cw-brazilian

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

There are so many female icons who owned their sexuality long before Bey....I guess because the most relevant at the moment? That's weird.

Though either way, DC should definitely utilize her to redesign more of their female heroes since she does a great job of designing an A+ costume.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 09-23-2021 at 02:41 PM.