Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Girl #3 - Spoilers/Discussion

Summary:

Picking up right where the last issue left off, Yara runs off into the jungle in need of a breather. Joao follows her and the two share a passionate kiss.

Eros, meanwhile is getting attacked by a giant fire snake. Yara, not knowing who Eros is, decides to help him and runs deeper into the jungle. She is surrounded by all manner of creatures and one of them chooses to confront her, The Cuca (an alligator witch).

Yara attempts to leave the jungle, but Eros confronts Yara and stabs her with one of his love arrows. Yara falls in love with him and Eros tells her there is someone she needs to meet. Joao tells Yara to stay, but The Cuca says Yara's destiny is in the soil and she must remain to protect it. Yara leaves with Eros, but promises Joao she will come back.

Eros brings Yara to Olympus, and she is introduced to her new benefactress, the Greek Goddess Hera. (Also Yara is confirmed to be 21 years old, incase anyone wanted to know her exact age.)

-

Meanwhile, Cassie and Artemis are confronted by the two amazon's that attacked Yara on the plane. Yara and Artemis precede to take them out and come to a temporary truce, since they both needs to find Yara.

Tracking Yara's footsteps to the Iguazu Falls, the two are attacked by a mysterious woman welding a staff. After coming to blows, Artemis demands that she identify herself.

Review:

This issue went by very quickly, and was rather decompressed. I found Yara having no clue how to use the bolas to be rather funny and all of the creatures in this issue looked really cool. Also Eros totally cheated when he said "I never miss" and then walked up and stabbed Yara with the arrow.

But, I'm not super interested in Yara's "love at first sight" relationship with Joao. It's just kind-of there... I do like how Yara always seems determined to help people, even to the point that it sort-of backfired with Eros.

I found the banter between Cassie and Artemis to be very enjoyable. Artemis already admitting that the two are gonna fight again once they find Yara, but Cassie doesn't really seem to care.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Yeah I genuinely like that Cassie is not being ignored at all in this series.

Other then that I like that we are getting more of Yara's origins, and how since she has been in Idaho all her life she has no idea how to use bolas makes a lot of sense. I hope we get to see her training and becoming Wonder girl by the end of the first arc.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I feel weird about the pacing on this title so far, I think. The romance with Joao is unnecessary and is going WAY too fast, but at the same time it feels like the book has taken too much time to get where we are with Yara FINALLY meeting Hera.

Joelle's voice for Artemis is too aggressive, but her voice for Cassie is spot on, which is something she hasn't had for quite a minute.

I kind of also just wish Donna was involved too.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Joao thing feels very rushed and I'm not sure who is with who? That crocodile lady wanted Yara to stay in the forest? Or is she working with/for Hera? I'd guess that she is not working with Hera, but then she did nothing to stop Eros.

Overall I like how the book looks and overall direction, but details on how we get from point A to point B could definitely use some work.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't feel the Joao or Eros thing was rushed. Felt like a YA cliche, not that I mind though. I like the pacing so far even if it's slow, it doesn't feel like filler and easing me into the new fantasy setting.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I feel like this title would benefit greatly to temporarily shifting to a bi-weekly schedule so it could churn out a first proper arc to establish things real quick, similar to what Wonder Woman is currently doing.
    What we have building up so far is pretty fun, its just a tad limited thus far in what its revealed

I wonder if Donna will be used. I'm happy we are finally having Cassie be used in Wonder Woman comic. And I hope this means we will see Cassie and Diana talk

I think the main problem with Joao is that he’s supposed to be Yara’s reason for “staying” or returning to Brazil (or the Earth in general?).
    But she came to discover her ancestry and past and it was already revealed she has a destiny there anyway, both of which are more interesting than Joao…
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I thought Yara was just drawn old, I never thought she was actually older than Cassie :O

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Joao thing feels very rushed and I'm not sure who is with who? That crocodile lady wanted Yara to stay in the forest? Or is she working with/for Hera? I'd guess that she is not working with Hera, but then she did nothing to stop Eros.

Overall I like how the book looks and overall direction, but details on how we get from point A to point B could definitely use some work.
    Cuca is not working for Hera, she wants Yara to stay in the forests. Looks like Joelle is setting up her meeting the greek figures first and then reject them to go back to Brazil and find her roots.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't feel the Joao or Eros thing was rushed. Felt like a YA cliche, not that I mind though. I like the pacing so far even if it's slow, it doesn't feel like filler and easing me into the new fantasy setting.
    I have no problems with Eros since I understand the motivation behind it all.

I had to read number two again and the truth is that the sudden love for Joao doesn't make much sense. I really don't like where the story goes on that.

I don’t mind the kiss with Joao- and really, that’s all it was. “Love” has yet to be established. Yara is young & brash (in a good way), so kissing a hot dude she met on vacation doesn’t strike me as too odd. Also, they did survive a plane crash together, so that’s got to be a hell of a rush! I do love her heroic impulses and I will concede that Joao following her headfirst into danger might be drawing parallels to Steve and Diana.

I’ve only ever tolerated Artemis and I just plain hate Cassie, so I’ll just keep my thoughts on their involvement to myself.

Otherwise, Jone’s art is incredible as always (Melos is…serviceable) but I’m hoping the story picks up a little in the issues to come. Nevertheless, I am still very interested in seeing where DC takes Miss Yara Flor!

Incredible Member

So, wait... if "everything happened" and "everything matters"... why were Cassie and Artremis strangers to each other?

Loved the parts focusing on Yara, but I wish the Cassie and Artemis scenes never happened. Ignoring the massive shift in art quality between both plotlines, I can't understand why DC would erase all the characters' past together. Didn't DC say months ago that everything mattered?
    Why do we have to read about Cassie meeting Artemis for the first time again when it doesn't even enhance the story? It would have made way more sense to build on their past history than make Cassie a newbie who still needs training from the woman who trained her decades ago.
    Once again DC overcomplicates their continuity.