Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I mean doesn't Diana fall in love with Steve at first sight. I guess how it's done?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean doesn't Diana fall in love with Steve at first sight. I guess how it's done?
    Yeah, but Steve was a pilot and in the army so it felt like he served the plot more than just being the love interest.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I honestly can't be surprised that Artemis' history with Cassie didn't come back. The whole point of her post crisis character is that she grew up spending a decade fighting demons after the Banas failed invasion of Themyscira. With her meeting with Cassie hinging on a history that included Hippolyta betraying Diana so that Artemis would die, a revival involving a demon, and soooo much baggage.

Lobdells playing with the character and Orlandos own additions pretty thoroughly establish that the Bana never waged war against Themyscira nor did they wind up trapped in hell for a decade.
    This seems to be leading into redoing the whole 'Trained by Artemis' thing

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It was a fairly fun issue though I noticed that they pretty much tell us who Artemis is while never really giving any backstory to Cassie except "Im Wondergirl" Guess they are trying to ignore the whole Demi-Goddess thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah, but Steve was a pilot and in the army so it felt like he served the plot more than just being the love interest.
    And it was in 1941 so...
    And I must also say that I always hated Diana and Steve's relationship and all the crap of that "angel" thing.
    One of the things I liked the most about Perez is Old Steve and zero love relationships with him.
    I was fond of Steve with the Rucka version.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 08-31-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I honestly can't be surprised that Artemis' history with Cassie didn't come back. The whole point of her post crisis character is that she grew up spending a decade fighting demons after the Banas failed invasion of Themyscira. With her meeting with Cassie hinging on a history that included Hippolyta betraying Diana so that Artemis would die, a revival involving a demon, and soooo much baggage.

Lobdells playing with the character and Orlandos own additions pretty thoroughly establish that the Bana never waged war against Themyscira nor did they wind up trapped in hell for a decade.
    This seems to be leading into redoing the whole 'Trained by Artemis' thing
    This is the part that I hate about reboots with DC, apart from starting WW over from the start Post COIE where we were able to lead back up to stories and characters, since then its "take this, take that, start in the middle of a story" without really reintroducing characters properly.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

And I called it.

Of course 3 issues in Yara is already with a guy.

I'm finishing this series to see how it ends, but if Yoao is going to be pushed as a loving interest for the foreseeable future I have no interest in Yara. Nice message to send telling people that a woman MUST have a man in her life apparently.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 08-31-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Why does Yara having a man even matter? There’s far more going on besides her little love interest. Let the girl have sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Loved the parts focusing on Yara, but I wish the Cassie and Artemis scenes never happened. Ignoring the massive shift in art quality between both plotlines, I can't understand why DC would erase all the characters' past together. Didn't DC say months ago that everything mattered?
    Why do we have to read about Cassie meeting Artemis for the first time again when it doesn't even enhance the story? It would have made way more sense to build on their past history than make Cassie a newbie who still needs training from the woman who trained her decades ago.
    Once again DC overcomplicates their continuity.
    Everything matters is a marketing gimmick that doesn't mean anything. Pick up any continuity heavier book and you'll see that everything definitely doesn't matter. As for Artemis/Cassie, I think the thinking is that nobody really cares about these characters and majority of Yara's readers have never read anything with Cassie or Artemis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    And I called it.

Of course 3 issues in Yara is already with a guy.

I'm finishing this series to see how it ends, but if Yoao is going to be pushed as a loving interest for the foreseeable future I have no interest in Yara. Nice message to send telling people that a woman MUST have a man in her life apparently.
    This is ongoing so you might have to stay for a while if sales stay stable.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Why does Yara having a man even matter? There’s far more going on besides her little love interest. Let the girl have sex.
    I agree, what bothered me is Artemis has a really great costume that wasn't drawn or colored correctly.

However I did enjoy Yara being a little miffed that her clothes were changed and that she liked her t-shirt. It was a tiny micro-aggression that sowed the seeds of Yara eventually turning down the Olympians and siding with her own gods.

And maybe it's just me but Cassie seemed a little too nice this issue. Sure she's always been nice, but she was sweeter than even Perez Diana who only got angry at betrayal from her sisters. Cassie's passivity appeared to be turned up to 100 to provide more contrast with Artemis, but it did make for a fun dynamic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Legit. Romance is like a tiny slice of this book and I'm fine with it. Joao is sexy and Yara is a grown ass young woman meeting river gods and Olympians and being transported to Olympus but her having chemistry with a dude she met in Brazil is what's not okay with some of yall? I don't think Jones is trying to say that Joao is her reason for returning either. He's an aspect of it sure, but Yara went to Brazil to get in touch with her roots and culture. The book explicitly tells us in the first issue and it's reiterated again by la Cuca, her destiny is in those lands, Brazilian lands. The dude is like, a part of it. BUT, he doesn't abandon her and runs right into danger because he's worried about her. I definitely didn't get the impression that Jones thinks "women need a man". Nah, they don't. But this girl certainly likes this one and that's fine. Anywho, she literally answers the call from higher powers instead of staying with her romantic interest so I really fail to see how "Yara needs a man" and her return to Brazil is for a litany of reasons with Joao being one of them.

Regardless, nice issue. The parts Jones draws are gorgeous. The designs of her non-human entities/monsters/folkloric creatures are instantly memorable and full of character. Also, major props to this series for having a mostly lady cast and they all look distinctive and different. That may seem small, but I've read enough superhero comics to know that many comic book artists (ahem men, particularly) draw most of their figures a like, especially when it comes to drawing women. So the variety in design, facial structures, hair, hair color, skin color, and body shape are appreciated.

And I'm echoing Drako in that I think Yara is going to turn away from the Olympians and embrace her roots in Brazil and their gods. Hera looked great though.

I think the Joćo controversy is mostly people being moralistic about Yara kissing someone so soon.
    The dude is hot AF as they've just survived a plane crash. Let the girl make out. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think the Joćo controversy is mostly people being moralistic about Yara kissing someone so soon.
    The dude is hot AF as they've just survived a plane crash. Let the girl make out. It doesn't have to be a big deal.
    Without having seen the issues or scans of Joao, in what way is he hot AF. I think this was the point I was trying to make in another thread. Are boyfriends or girlfriends of superheros/superheroines ever really ugly? It is a legitimate question for me, just as Siggy is described the same way, but essentially the same could be said about Steve Trevor or just about anyone that the 'star' of the book falls for.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The issue with Joao goes beyond what happened in this issue. Joelle IMMEDIATELY started setting him up as a love interest for Yara before the girl has really gotten on her feet - in a lot of ways one of my biggest issues with the book in general is that in a few ways, while I'm enjoying it, it doesn't feel genuine. It feels like Joelle is trying to make Yara as close to she was in Future State as possible without showing us entirely how she gets there; she's a little less skilled than she was in Future State but she acts exactly the same, and idk. The pacing just feels off, overall.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey