Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    The issue with Joao goes beyond what happened in this issue. Joelle IMMEDIATELY started setting him up as a love interest for Yara before the girl has really gotten on her feet - in a lot of ways one of my biggest issues with the book in general is that in a few ways, while I'm enjoying it, it doesn't feel genuine. It feels like Joelle is trying to make Yara as close to she was in Future State as possible without showing us entirely how she gets there; she's a little less skilled than she was in Future State but she acts exactly the same, and idk. The pacing just feels off, overall.
    Pacing is one thing but the criticism I've read seems to be more focused on having a romantic interest in general. Which is a strange criticism considering many superheroes come with romantic interests baked in basically at the onset.

Jones will tell the story as she sees fit and I personally have no strong issue with the narrative or pacing. I'm digging it. I wish Jones could draw the entirety of every issue but I understand that, to keep up the monthly schedule, that she cannot (even though she managed on Catwoman for some time, but she did have fill-in teams every now and then and then Blanco was brought in as the long-term artist).

The issue with Joao goes beyond what happened in this issue. Joelle IMMEDIATELY started setting him up as a love interest for Yara before the girl has really gotten on her feet - in a lot of ways one of my biggest issues with the book in general is that in a few ways, while I'm enjoying it, it doesn't feel genuine. It feels like Joelle is trying to make Yara as close to she was in Future State as possible without showing us entirely how she gets there; she's a little less skilled than she was in Future State but she acts exactly the same, and idk. The pacing just feels off, overall.
    But we're Wonder Woman fans, that's exactly how Diana started out with Steve yet she has agency, her own separate story that doesn't involve romance and she became an icon. I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I agree, what bothered me is Artemis has a really great costume that wasn't drawn or colored correctly.

However I did enjoy Yara being a little miffed that her clothes were changed and that she liked her t-shirt. It was a tiny micro-aggression that sowed the seeds of Yara eventually turning down the Olympians and siding with her own gods.

And maybe it's just me but Cassie seemed a little too nice this issue. Sure she's always been nice, but she was sweeter than even Perez Diana who only got angry at betrayal from her sisters. Cassie's passivity appeared to be turned up to 100 to provide more contrast with Artemis, but it did make for a fun dynamic.
    The art with Cassie and Artemis looked rushed to me. I didn’t even know the Amazon’s they were fighting were themysiciran either until now. I feel like Cassie is coming off a bit in experienced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Legit. Romance is like a tiny slice of this book and I'm fine with it. Joao is sexy and Yara is a grown ass young woman meeting river gods and Olympians and being transported to Olympus but her having chemistry with a dude she met in Brazil is what's not okay with some of yall? I don't think Jones is trying to say that Joao is her reason for returning either. He's an aspect of it sure, but Yara went to Brazil to get in touch with her roots and culture. The book explicitly tells us in the first issue and it's reiterated again by la Cuca, her destiny is in those lands, Brazilian lands. The dude is like, a part of it. BUT, he doesn't abandon her and runs right into danger because he's worried about her. I definitely didn't get the impression that Jones thinks "women need a man". Nah, they don't. But this girl certainly likes this one and that's fine. Anywho, she literally answers the call from higher powers instead of staying with her romantic interest so I really fail to see how "Yara needs a man" and her return to Brazil is for a litany of reasons with Joao being one of them.

Regardless, nice issue. The parts Jones draws are gorgeous. The designs of her non-human entities/monsters/folkloric creatures are instantly memorable and full of character. Also, major props to this series for having a mostly lady cast and they all look distinctive and different. That may seem small, but I've read enough superhero comics to know that many comic book artists (ahem men, particularly) draw most of their figures a like, especially when it comes to drawing women. So the variety in design, facial structures, hair, hair color, skin color, and body shape are appreciated.

And I'm echoing Drako in that I think Yara is going to turn away from the Olympians and embrace her roots in Brazil and their gods. Hera looked great though.
    I agree with all of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post
    And I called it.

Of course 3 issues in Yara is already with a guy.

I'm finishing this series to see how it ends, but if Yoao is going to be pushed as a loving interest for the foreseeable future I have no interest in Yara. Nice message to send telling people that a woman MUST have a man in her life apparently.
    Three issues in and nowhere has it been depicted that Yara needs a man for anything. She’s shared a little flirting and one kiss. He’s hardly being forced on anyone.

Are you just going to troll every thread for this series with this?

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I agree with all of this!
    Same! Couldn’t have said it better myself.

But we're Wonder Woman fans, that's exactly how Diana started out with Steve yet she has agency, her own separate story that doesn't involve romance and she became an icon. I don't see the problem.
    In the OG Wonder Woman origin, Steve was in a coma for several story arcs.

Hippolyta was the one who told Diana everything about the outside world through the magic mirror, the Gods were the one who told Hippolyta to send a hero to fight WWII and Diana joined the competition because she wanted to follow Steve (who she never spoke to cuz again, coma) off the island.

Steve was less a character and more a plot device in the first origin. Joao doesn't feel like either to me, at least right now, his roll in the story might be bigger than "love interest". I don't care if Yara is kissing people 3 issues in (or even 1 issue), I just don't see what Joao is doing for the narrative outside of being someone for her to kiss, which is fine, but with a story this decompressed it feels like it's taken up more space than it needs too.

But like I said, his role might turn out to be bigger than that. He's a tour guide so he might help Yara when she decides to become a hero in Brazil.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 09-01-2021 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I do not see that the relationship between Yara and Joao is organic, in fact it is quite forced.
    In these times it would have been more natural (and fun) for them to have sex on the plane, than all that romantic thing, and if she went with Eros it is because she was bewitched by him, but her ridiculous love at first sight for Joao makes she almost resisted the allure of a God.
    Do not come to me with questions of morality, because in fact that story is built to satisfy a certain morality that seems questionable to me in the 21st century and for a woman. But of course it is only my opinion.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 09-01-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Incredible Member

The feeling I get is that Brazil, or the lands they're on, is in eminent danger for which Yara is prophesized to stop/protect from happening. In light of that, not only is he a romantic interest but a human character that serves to heighten the stakes of the plot. It's all well and nice that the world is ending, but if a story and writer fail to get audiences invested in a story's characters and how those stakes directly or indirectly effect the characters within said story, then audiences won't care. So, without a character like Joao, a human man, and probably the folkloric creatures we'll get to know as we go, why would we care that there is danger to Brazil (in the story!)? He serves to ground the story in an otherwise fantastical setting and plotline and nicely contrasts with the fantastical creatures and characters.

But I still think this discussion is disproportionate to his current place in the story. I'm going to let it play out.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 09-01-2021 at 11:00 AM.

I have given this book (and character) three whole issues to entrance me, move me, compel me...anything that would make me go, "oh, now I see why this Yara person is supposed to be a great addition to the WW mythos." To be honest, it still has not done anything to convince me it is a character worth my time, but I am glad that some people are enjoying her adventures. Me, I'll stick to Diana, Nubia, and Donna.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Three issues in and nowhere has it been depicted that Yara needs a man for anything. She’s shared a little flirting and one kiss. He’s hardly being forced on anyone.

Exactly, Yara's the one who's been doing the fighting while Joao is the damsel. I don't see anything wrong with a little fun romance/fling. If Dick, Peter Parker, and Bruce get to have a laundrey list of love interests/flings, that barely pop up again I don't have a problem with the same happening with female heroes.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

You seem to be trying to catch me in a double standard, which isn't going to work. Because I also think that retellings of Diana's origin that have her immediately falling head over heels in love with Steve are bad. Characters need to be given time to show who they are themselves before immediately being paired up with a love interest, and that's just how I feel about that. And for the record I think that immediately showing Joao as being Yara's love interest is just as damaging to his character as it is hers; we're given no reason to like this man because we know nothing about him. It would've been better off if Joelle established their relationship as a slow burn, let us learn who Joao and Yara are as characters, and give us a reason for us to care about whether or not they get together.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Exactly, Yara's the one who's been doing the fighting while Joao is the damsel. I don't see anything wrong with a little fun romance/fling. If Dick, Peter Parker, and Bruce get to have a laundrey list of love interests/flings, that barely pop up again I don't have a problem with the same happening with female heroes.
    And, while we're talking double standards, I'd feel this way if this were a Wonder Boy series, too.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 09-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post

Oh, sorry I have an opinion. Sorry your majesty, I won't post in these threads again since apparently you own them.

I'll stick to Diana, Donna and Cassie or at least wait until Yara gets a writer who doesn't feel compelled to stick a d*ck in her 3 issues in. What a wonderful role model for my daughter — don't bother being independent, just jump into the first relationship you find with the first man who shows remote interest in you.

This subforum is so toxic it's not even funny.
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 09-01-2021 at 01:57 PM.

Since she’s in Olympus she’s probably getting Jerry next issue.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

You seem to be trying to catch me in a double standard, which isn't going to work. Because I also think that retellings of Diana's origin that have her immediately falling head over heels in love with Steve are bad. Characters need to be given time to show who they are themselves before immediately being paired up with a love interest, and that's just how I feel about that. And for the record I think that immediately showing Joao as being Yara's love interest is just as damaging to his character as it is hers; we're given no reason to like this man because we know nothing about him. It would've been better off if Joelle established their relationship as a slow burn, let us learn who Joao and Yara are as characters, and give us a reason for us to care about whether or not they get together.

And, while we're talking double standards, I'd feel this way if this were a Wonder Boy series, too.
    She would only do slow burn if they were a long-term thing. All I see is two characters who liked hanging out together and found each other attractive then decided to act on it based on the given circumstances (near-death experience giving them adrenaline).

I don't think there needs to be built up for every kiss. Sometimes a kiss/hookup just happens. Yara is an impulsive and carefree character, I don't find it surprising she acted on whatever attraction she felt quickly.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?