Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Is that from X-men Unlimited? I only read the first issue because it was free.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Yeah, issue 3.
    Only two things Logan looks at like that, isn’t there.
    1. Beer
    2... spoilers:
    his favourite drinking buddy.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agreed. Have preferred Logan with Jean and Scott with Emma for about two decades now. There’s just more chemistry in those pairings IMO. I know there are the Jott shippers out there who strongly disagree, but that’s just my feelings on the matter. The whole Hickman polyamory angle throws a nice monkeywrench into the whole debate, however, by making it moot. As you can see Logan with Jean in one comic, and then her with Scott in another, and in both instances they’re acting like a couple. Same with Emma and Scott for that matter. Plus Logan can still sleep with whoever outside of the X-men too. Or within the X-men for that matter (e.g., Domino). I know some people hate that too, but I find it kind of funny as it’s very meta in a way.
    I felt and feel like the poly was a copout. Just do Jean/? (preferably Logan) and Emma/Scott, cowards!

The fact that it satisfies neither constituency and makes them both mad is precisely why I find it funny. It’s kind of the ultimate troll honestly. Plus it is quite meta, in that it plays with the tendency of writers to ship the couple one way (e.g., Scott/Jean in the late 90s when they got married and were on solid footing) and then another comes along and takes it in a totally different direction (e.g., Grant Morrison in the 00’s shipping Scott and Emma and breaking up Scott and Jean, plus bringing back the romantic tension between Logan and Jean). This, in my view, is Hickman’s way of saying “it really doesn’t matter because it’s at the whims of the writer anyway” but taking that to a-whole-nother level where Scott and Jean can be together in one book at the same point in time as she’s appearing in another one in a hot tub getting it on with Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Lol, I scrolled through that whole podcast looking for that info and it was basically the sign off. Percy-"Okay thanks for having me on fellas, oh btw X Lives of Wolverine is the weekly series Hickman teased, click."
    Oh, so that's where it was. I scrolled through the podcast, but Percy was mostly just talking about his horror work so I gave up. Anyway, AIPT had an article about Percy's comments regarding XLoW / XDoW.

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/12/be...verine-deaths/

When asked if X stands for the letter X or ten, Percy confirmed it’s actually the number ten as in, 10 Lives of Wolverine, but in the case of the second title, it’s X Deaths of Wolverine.
    Percy also revealed these Wolverine series will be the weekly books Jonathan Hickman teased when he spoke to Entertainment Weekly. “I gather everything from Inferno, and sets up the next era. So that’s me,” Percy said on the AIPT Comics podcast. When asked if the weekly series is written exclusively by him Percy said, “Yeah X Lives is all me with all my artist collaborators.”

So it's 10 Lives but X Deaths. Interesting, bit of an inverse of HOX/POX.
    Also, even if each miniseries was just four issues, the weekly format means this will take up all of January and February 2022 at the very least, so the earliest the other titles will relaunch will be in March.
    The solicitations for March will be in December, probably the day after Inferno 4 hits, to avoid spoiling the ending of Inferno.

Speaking of the post-XLoW/XDoW relaunch, what titles do we think will be included there?

The books that we know will be there (based on interviews):

1. X-Men by Gerry Duggan (flagship title)
    2. (untitled S.W.O.R.D. sequel) by Al Ewing
    3. Wolverine by Benjamin Percy
    4. (untitled Way of X sequel) by Si Spurrier
    5. (untitled X-villain solo/team book) by Victor LaValle - I have long supected this to involve Sabertooth; he probably escapes during Inferno
    6. The X-Cellent by Peter Milligan - This one is probably not under the Krakoa branding
    7. (Untitled Gambit book) by Chris Claremont - This is either another volume of X-Men Legends or a Gambit miniseries, probably not under the Krakoan branding either

The books that are quite likely to be there in some form:

8. (untitled New Mutants sequel) by Vita Ayala - This basically combines the plots of Vita's New Mutants and Children of the Atom into a single book that focuses on the lives of the younger mutants on Krakoa. Possible titles: New Mutants (vol 5), Generation X, Academy X
    9. Marauders follow-up by Gerry Duggan / new writer
    10. Excalibur follow-up by Tini Howard / new writer
    11. X-Force follow-up by Benjamin Percy / new writer

For 9, 10 and 11, everything depends on how the writers wrap up their runs in December. If all the lingering mysteries are resolved (Kate's gate problem, the source of the Mercury, the identity of the Chronicler, Colossus's Russia flashbacks, the ousting of Merlyn...), I can see new writers taking over the books (especially for Marauders and X-Force, since Duggan and Percy already have another book in the line). Otherwise, these books might be continuations with the same writers but with a new numbering.

The books that are a possibility but very unlikely to be there:

X-Factor follow-up. I think the main problem with this is that I believe that The Trial of Magneto will be Leah Williams's exit from the X-Books, at least in the short term. I think X-Factor as a Krakoan institution is likely to remain (somebody needs to investigate deaths) and will probably keep showing up in other books (like in New Mutants for the Tier business). Some members will probably go to other books (like Rachel to Excalibur).

Hellions follow-up. This is a good book but I think Zeb Wells is bringing its story to an end this December. There is likely to be a schism with Sinister coming soon so I don't see the setup of this book working after Inferno. Zeb Wells has also managed to get a much more high-profile gig as the writer of Amazing Spider-Man so I think he will be transitioning to that full time.

X-Corp follow-up. Unlike Excalibur which I quite enjoy, I think this book has serious conceptual problems. The set-up is weak, the villain is weak, the plotting is hazy. Like many have suggested, I think the best option here is to fold the X-Corp board into the Marauders follow-up, so we can keep these characters in circulation and give Marauders the kick it needs to feel fresh again.
    Last edited by alanyoung909; 09-14-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: I forgot about the X-Cellent

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    The fact that it satisfies neither constituency and makes them both mad is precisely why I find it funny. It’s kind of the ultimate troll honestly. Plus it is quite meta, in that it plays with the tendency of writers to ship the couple one way (e.g., Scott/Jean in the late 90s when they got married and were on solid footing) and then another comes along and takes it in a totally different direction (e.g., Grant Morrison in the 00’s shipping Scott and Emma and breaking up Scott and Jean, plus bringing back the romantic tension between Logan and Jean). This, in my view, is Hickman’s way of saying “it really doesn’t matter because it’s at the whims of the writer anyway” but taking that to a-whole-nother level where Scott and Jean can be together in one book at the same point in time as she’s appearing in another one in a hot tub getting it on with Logan.
    It's definitely humorously meta, and there is some brilliance in that, but it is not bold and revolutionary and new. It's too safe and also feels like a job not quite finished.

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    Speaking of the post-XLoW/XDoW relaunch, what titles do we think will be included there?

The books that we know will be there (based on interviews):

1. X-Men by Gerry Duggan (flagship title)
    2. (untitled S.W.O.R.D. sequel) by Al Ewing
    3. Wolverine by Benjamin Percy
    4. (untitled Way of X sequel) by Si Spurrier
    5. (untitled X-villain solo/team book) by Victor LaValle - I have long supected this to involve Sabertooth; he probably escapes during Inferno

The books that are quite likely to be there in some form:

6. (untitled New Mutants sequel) by Vita Ayala - This basically combines the plots of Vita's New Mutants and Children of the Atom into a single book that focuses on the lives of the younger mutants on Krakoa. Possible titles: New Mutants (vol 5), Generation X, Academy X
    7. Marauders follow-up by Gerry Duggan / new writer
    8. Excalibur follow-up by Tini Howard / new writer
    9. X-Force follow-up by Benjamin Percy / new writer

For 7, 8 and 9, everything depends on how the writers wrap up their runs in December. If all the lingering mysteries are resolved (Kate's gate problem, the source of the Mercury, the identity of the Chronicler, Colossus's Russia flashbacks, the ousting of Merlyn...), I can see new writers taking over the books (especially for Marauders and X-Force, since Duggan and Percy already have another book in the line). Otherwise, these books might be continuations with the same writers but with a new numbering.

The books that are a possibility but very unlikely to be there:

X-Factor follow-up. I think the main problem with this is that I believe that The Trial of Magneto will be Leah Williams's exit from the X-Books, at least in the short term. I think X-Factor as a Krakoan institution is likely to remain (somebody needs to investigate deaths) and will probably keep showing up in other books (like in New Mutants for the Tier business). Some members will probably go to other books (like Rachel to Excalibur).

Hellions follow-up. This is a good book but I think Zeb Wells is bringing its story to an end this December. There is likely to be a schism with Sinister coming soon so I don't see the setup of this book working after Inferno. Zeb Wells has also managed to get a much more high-profile gig as the writer of Amazing Spider-Man so I think he will be transitioning to that full time.

X-Corp follow-up. Unlike Excalibur which I quite enjoy, I think this book has serious conceptual problems. The set-up is weak, the villain is weak, the plotting is hazy. Like many have suggested, I think the best option here is to fold the X-Corp board into the Marauders follow-up, so we can keep these characters in circulation and give Marauders the kick it needs to feel fresh again.
    This might make for a good new thread where we can discuss what we would like to see after XLoW and XDoW. I definitely have to give it some thought.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    This might make for a good new thread where we can discuss what we would like to see after XLoW and XDoW. I definitely have to give it some thought.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. If you would like to be the one to make the thread, go ahead. Feel free to copy my post if you want. I've updated it to include the X-Cellent and Gambit, which I forgot about yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gylfie View Post
    Confirms that most everything else is going to be put on pause during this…

During its run, most (though not all) other X-Men comics will temporarily pause to give it the spotlight.
    Hopefully that’s only for one month. Don’t want to have to wait until March for the rebooted X-line, and especially the new Ewing X-men book with Cable and Storm.

Am actually pretty into this weekly idea, letting the other monthlies breath for a couple months.

The line does need a bit of a jolt and I like the idea of having strong bookend stories to open and close phases of this Krakoa project.

Interested to see how Percy takes on a self contained three act story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spit and Syntax View Post
    Am actually pretty into this weekly idea, letting the other monthlies breath for a couple months.

The line does need a bit of a jolt and I like the idea of having strong bookend stories to open and close phases of this Krakoa project.

Interested to see how Percy takes on a self contained three act story.
    I like it too actually.

Just think it's shady towards Hickman lol. This was his idea when launching HOX/POX and he was denied.

Now they're copying it.

I'm telling you all Hickman's not done with the X-line. He's going to be back to finish his story and the current writers are helping to keep the engine running so to speak.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Wondering if there will be some massive time travel involved?