Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default eXclusive The X lives and Death of Wolverine solicit with BONUS

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    I want to get excited about it but I can't. Feels like such a downgrade after House of X......Wolverine, I like you, but do I want to see you travel in time? no, not really. Just not a concept I feel caring about.

This is going to be so good.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member

Why is it Wolverine again who does the Terminator rip-off timetravel story? I know he's the most popular character, but there are multiple X-Men who have time travel as part of their powerset. I was thinking about how a Tempus mini could work with this sort of plot for the last couple of weeks.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-06-2021 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I totally agree.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

thanks for sharing this, great work

*also are those Omega Red tentacles?*

I was not expecting a Devil's Reign tie-in, I would have thought this would be too low stakes for mutants kinda like Civil War

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Why is it Wolverine again who does the Terminator rip-off timetravel story? I know he's the most popular character, but there are multiple X-Men who have time travel as part of their powerset. I was thinking about how a Tempus mini could work with this sort of plot for the last couple of weeks.
    It's not just that the Wolverine is the most popular, but that everybody else isn't as popular. After all, who the hell wants to read a Tempus mini? We just had a Cable series and maybe if it went in on the time travel a little more, it'd still be here. Bishop is languishing in Marauders Hell and Tempo is about to join him there. Franklin Richards hasn't been Psi-Lord in thirty years and isn't even a mutant anymore.

But then storywise, who would make sense? Wolverine has lived in all of these eras, that's what makes this series work for him. It's about his life. What connection do Tempus or Tempo have to Team X work in the late 1950s or working as an enforcer for the mob in the 1890s. Logan has a deep and personal connection to those time periods, to the people living in them. We could see more of his relationship with Silver Fox and why she betrayed him after the Kennedy assassination. Or perhaps we get another look at his marriage to Itsu. Maybe some of those other time travel characters could be fit in like Cable, given his complicated past with Logan. Plus, the series is about him preventing the assassination of somebody. Who better than him? You could send Psylocke if she wasn't in such a bad state. Fantomex if you'd be willing to trust him. Domino is a reasonable choice but she can't exactly blend in through time despite her luck. Logan's the best choice.

Maybe X-23 would've worked in this story, getting to explore the roots of her family but she's a much more interesting character to start with. Cable's time travel stories have always been about averting the future. Bishop's time travel stories are deep dives into alternate realities.

This bitching about Wolverine getting all the main stories gets a bit irritating when sometimes it makes sense for him to have the stories.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    thanks for sharing this, great work

*also are those Omega Red tentacles?*

I was not expecting a Devil's Reign tie-in, I would have thought this would be too low stakes for mutants kinda like Civil War
    Well, Civil War had an X-men tie-in

All-New Member

I have more trust in the X-Office now that the stakes will be higher but honestly, this sounds like that Age of Ultron story where Wolverine went back in time to kill someone (?)

And "Fan-favorite eras are explored anew, along with never-before-seen periods in Wolverine's century-long life!", it's like I'm hearing the Kill Bill alarm in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    It's not just that the Wolverine is the most popular, but that everybody else isn't as popular. After all, who the hell wants to read a Tempus mini? We just had a Cable series and maybe if it went in on the time travel a little more, it'd still be here. Bishop is languishing in Marauders Hell and Tempo is about to join him there. Franklin Richards hasn't been Psi-Lord in thirty years and isn't even a mutant anymore.

But then storywise, who would make sense? Wolverine has lived in all of these eras, that's what makes this series work for him. It's about his life. What connection do Tempus or Tempo have to Team X work in the late 1950s or working as an enforcer for the mob in the 1890s. Logan has a deep and personal connection to those time periods, to the people living in them. We could see more of his relationship with Silver Fox and why she betrayed him after the Kennedy assassination. Or perhaps we get another look at his marriage to Itsu. Maybe some of those other time travel characters could be fit in like Cable, given his complicated past with Logan. Plus, the series is about him preventing the assassination of somebody. Who better than him? You could send Psylocke if she wasn't in such a bad state. Fantomex if you'd be willing to trust him. Domino is a reasonable choice but she can't exactly blend in through time despite her luck. Logan's the best choice.

Maybe X-23 would've worked in this story, getting to explore the roots of her family but she's a much more interesting character to start with. Cable's time travel stories have always been about averting the future. Bishop's time travel stories are deep dives into alternate realities.

This bitching about Wolverine getting all the main stories gets a bit irritating when sometimes it makes sense for him to have the stories.
    I agree. It’s all the history Logan has and different eras of his life that make it interesting to explore those in a new context, in this case his apparently having to go back there and prevent the death of a key figure in mutant history to preserve the timeline… or something along those lines. I do wonder how it ties into Moira X and HoX/PoX, though, so look forward to finding that out. Perhaps it’s Moira herself he’s protecting? In which case he did a piss poor job in some of her lives, so probably not her. Or maybe it was, and someone else followed him back and keeps taking him off the board? That could be interesting. Very Terminator-like though. Perhaps too much so.

Regardless, I look forward to finding out more. Could a character like Cable have had this role instead of Logan? Perhaps. He has a lot of history, much of which hasn’t been shown, but I doubt it would sell as well if it revolved around him. Something I’ve just come to accept. Wolverine sells. So be it. Good thing I enjoy reading about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I hope so. Fingers crossed. Percy has been really hit or miss for me so far, but I have enjoyed his solo Wolverine stuff waaay more than his X-Force, so that bodes well for this event. I do wonder if he’ll keep both Wolverine and X-Force coming out of it, though, with the revamping of the X-line. Seems like there are a lot of writers who are still part of the X-office, and a number of them aren’t presently attached to any books.

Because only Wolverine has enough of interesting solo material stories to come back in time of his 200 year life time and change things.

Extraordinary Member

I think he's supposed to be preventing the deaths of multiple people, someone different in each time period. The entire premise falls apart if he's supposed to protect the same person in the 1800s, 1960s and recent past, and the 'protect one person to save the future' story has been played out in Days of Future Past and Age of Apocalypse and isn't worth an event anymore.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-07-2021 at 01:53 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Because only Wolverine has enough of interesting solo material stories to come back in time of his 200 year life time and change things.

^^ All this plus I think Wolverine having a healing factor gives writers a bit more freedom to tell more high stakes/high risk stories as they know he'll "get better" in the end.

Also, Logan having lived for so long allows for time travel to era's he's already familiar with (since he was there in the first instance) which allows writers to side-step the "man out of time" trope and focus more on the story.