Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I actually really like Percy’s Jean (except that one time in Wolverine where she got fridged) so this is good news!
    Same! Hopefully it's not more fridging!

Big fan of Percy’s Jean, and loved the steamy hot tub scene. I’ve always liked them as a couple, as well as Scott-Emma since the Morrison run honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Big fan of Percy’s Jean, and loved the steamy hot tub scene. I’ve always liked them as a couple, as well as Scott-Emma since the Morrison run honestly.
    I also hope we will get some steamy action again between Jean and Logan (and maybe Scott too).

I think it feels a little weird that Jean and Scott suddenly performing this monogamous straight super couple in Duggan's current X-Men run after being portrayed in a different manner in Hickman's and Percy's writings.

I only like my straight couple queer!!

It is a little weird, but I think that’s the beauty of what Hickman and Co. decided to do here with the whole polyamory angle. Because mutants can now defy death, and had already been able to defy death in many cases (including Logan, Jean, Scott who have all died and come back even prior to Krakoan resurrection protocols), it’s maybe a bit natural their views on what constitutes a committed relationship might shift a bit. Life’s too long, in other words, to be restricted in who you can love. So they’ve just kind of decided to have their cake and eat it too… which is honestly something the writers have done to them for years and years anyway, with the whole “will they or won’t they” aspect of the love triangles between Scott-Jean-Logan and Jean-Scott-Emma.

Well, now it doesn’t matter. Just like death itself doesn’t matter. Ben Percy can have Logan and Jean steaming it up in a hot tub if that’s the story he wants to tell, while Duggan can have Scott and Jean acting like a milquetoast couple of high school sweethearts who are still together after all these years over in his book if he wants. And then Scott can also dip out with the White Queen in yet another book if someone wants to write about that. And none of it contradicts anymore. It’s kind of “breaking the confines” if you will of the traditional way of putting these characters through various romantic back and forth situations creating false drama in the process. Very meta if you think about it. Kind of brilliant honestly, and the same thing they did with death and resurrection. After all, it had become such a trope in the books, why not just make it a non-event and part of life? Same thing with the various romantic entanglements. They can all happen at once and no biggie.

I get why some hate it, but I can appreciate the cleverness of it and what Hickman was trying to do here.

It is a little weird, but I think that’s the beauty of what Hickman and Co. decided to do here with the whole polyamory angle. Because mutants can now defy death, and had already been able to defy death in many cases (including Logan, Jean, Scott who have all died and come back even prior to Krakoan resurrection protocols), it’s maybe a bit natural their views on what constitutes a committed relationship might shift a bit. Life’s too long, in other words, to be restricted in who you can love. So they’ve just kind of decided to have their cake and eat it too… which is honestly something the writers have done to them for years and years anyway, with the whole “will they or won’t they” aspect of the love triangles between Scott-Jean-Logan and Jean-Scott-Emma.

Well, now it doesn’t matter. Just like death itself doesn’t matter. Ben Percy can have Logan and Jean steaming it up in a hot tub if that’s the story he wants to tell, while Duggan can have Scott and Jean acting like a milquetoast couple of high school sweethearts who are still together after all these years over in his book if he wants. And then Scott can also dip out with the White Queen in yet another book if someone wants to write about that. And none of it contradicts anymore. It’s kind of “breaking the confines” if you will of the traditional way of putting these characters through various romantic back and forth situations creating false drama in the process. Very meta if you think about it. Kind of brilliant honestly, and the same thing they did with death and resurrection. After all, it had become such a trope in the books, why not just make it a non-event and part of life? Same thing with the various romantic entanglements. They can all happen at once and no biggie.

I get why some hate it, but I can appreciate the cleverness of it and what Hickman was trying to do here.
    I’ve been pretty lukewarm on the poly angle, because it seemed like no writer was willing to explore it, but you just provided a great perspective to look at it from. Awesome post.

Astonishing Member

I just wish we had insights how they went into this arrangement. Did they just say let's try it out over a poker game? I'd love to know their headspace and rationale to give it a try. Just jumping into this status quo without any context and taking it as a new beginning is cheapening the weight of such a decision on the characters, even if they are now 'immortal'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I just wish we had insights how they went into this arrangement. Did they just say let's try it out over a poker game? I'd love to know their headspace and rationale to give it a try. Just jumping into this status quo without any context and taking it as a new beginning is cheapening the weight of such a decision on the characters, even if they are now 'immortal'
    That's cause they didn't want to fully commit to the idea. This is an idea that could easily backfire if you think about it. So instead of committing to it from the beginning, they made implications instead of outright confirmations about the open relationships.

Yep. And I think that’s precisely the point. It’s whatever you want it to be.

Jean is Logan’s booty call when he’s come back from a hard day doing Percy stuff and he’s like “guh, beer” and then “guh, booty”.

Or maybe he’s her booty call?

BANNED

I hate the poly angle with Jean, Scott, Logan specially because Morrison ripped the band-aid on Jean/Scott 20 years ago. People just get really conservative about Jean so we're stuck with an old stat-quo that was tired a long time ago lol. And it minimizes what can be done with Jean e.g. Jean having to be off the council and X-Force because she has to play tree house.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-09-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I mean it's mainly so Hickman doesn't have to deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I hate the poly angle with Jean, Scott, Logan specially because Morrison ripped the band-aid on Jean/Scott 20 years ago. People just get really conservative about Jean so we're stuck with an old stat-quo that was tired a long time ago lol. And it minimizes what can be done with Jean e.g. Jean having to be off the council and X-Force because she has to play tree house.
    It did feel like Jean was being pulled in two different directions. It felt like X-Force was still in it's beginning stages and then Jean was already like, "I'm out!" I like her role in X-Men though so I can't really complain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    It did feel like Jean was being pulled in two different directions. It felt like X-Force was still in it's beginning stages and then Jean was already like, "I'm out!" I like her role in X-Men though so I can't really complain.
    To me it feels regressive. I also abhor the idea that Jean isn't involved in the "state secrets" type of stuff. It's kinda childish. Her role in X-Force/the Council made sense because she could be herself and temper the wilder elements and have the possibility of someday having to take gray actions herself. She could be a well-rounded character rather than quite literally sticking her fingers in her ears and going "la la la la la, I don't want to know" in regards to the potentially more challenging and interesting roles she had before. I like her being on the main book, I suppose, but it probably cost the character more interesting situations and the way she got there added this layer of naivete that isn't in any way endearing.

Astonishing Member

Or maybe he’s her booty call?
    Oh he definitely is lol Jean is the initiator.