Default Ranma vs 22nd World Tournament (Dragon Ball)

Ranma Saotome from the end of the Ranma 1/2 manga enters the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament from Dragon Ball. Let's say he enters the same preliminary bracket as Chiaotzu, so assuming he beats him he would have to face:

First round vs Krillin

second round vs Goku

third round vs Tien

How does he do against these fighters?

Bonus: If Ranma wins or is competitive against the top fighters, he decides to stick around after Tambourine kills Krillin. How does Ranma fair in the King Piccolo arc and 23rd tournament?

If Ranma was able to train with Master Roshi for a year, he'd be very competitive. As he is, he is going to have a problem with Goku and Tien, but he might be able to take out Krillin.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I've said elsewhere that I think King Piccolo is the exact moment that there's no more argument for Ranma keeping up. I think he's got the chops to win the 22nd Budokai, especially if he pulls out all the stops with things like the Umisenken, but I'd say it's about as much of a tossup as Goku vs Tien was. Or even Goku vs Krillin. The 22nd Budokai had a lot of very close margins. He should be in about the same league speedwise; maybe more, maybe less, but close enough that I don't think there's a need to consider the difference. Probably not as strong as Goku, but strong enough to do damage. He's got better techniques than any of them, albeit not more *powerful* techniques (unless we count a perfectly executed Hiryu Shoten Ha variant, since it can scale with what goes into it), and the Hiryu Shoten Ha is basically tailor made for throwing anyone who can't fly out of the ring. Tien's probably his biggest challenge. Hard to compare durabilities at this point in Dragon Ball, but at the very least he's gonna be less durable than Goku, though I'd rate him as considerably better at getting out of the way of things that would make that matter.

Ranma is a technical fighter who is pretty good at internalizing what he sees and learning from it. The fact that this is a tournament, means he gets to see some of what everyone can do. Granted the reverse is true and the other main characters are all very gifted at those things, but I think Ranma will be the best at taking advantage of it.

Still, I think it's a tossup with no easy answer.

As for the King Piccolo arc, he's basically a better Tien (due to techniques, not being more powerful or anything), but I don't think he's going to try a suicidal technique, so he might come up with some other scheme of his own. Nevertheless, King Piccolo is a bridge too far in my opinion, so unless HE somehow gets the god water (and survives, AND gets the power up), it's still gonna come down to Goku vs Piccolo in the end. Then again, if he's with Tien, Tien might actually land the Mafuba on King Piccolo.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 08-30-2021 at 05:59 PM.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands