Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, in the Monsterverse, Godzilla is a force of nature we can't really understand. Conversely, their take on Kong gives him more personality, working as a contrast.
    He has some personality. He seems like a living creature and even briefly laughed in GvK.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Monsterverse Pacific Rim >>>> Cloverfield/Godzilla 98
    Is this question serious while I will love Cloverfield for introducing me to the beauty that is Jessica Lucas, the first movie held my attention, the rest were meh. The Monsterverse movies were at worst a meh (GvK) to like Skull Island all the way to love KotM. Pacific Rim was ok to good much better than GvK and maybe slightly better than Skull. However what really makes this decision easy is that Godzilla 98 for me is as bad and I hate it as much as Vakanai hates GvK. Which I didn't think was good either but I don't dislike it like Vak does, however I might hate Godzilla 98 even more. It is like they took something I love and made it crap, sort of like that Green Lantern movie (which even that I don't loath as much as I loathe Godzilla 98).
    Even the Green Lantern movie was still a Green Lantern movie. Godzilla 1998 didn't even technically have Godzilla. And the only good human character in was Jean Reno's character

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Pacific Rim 1 and 2 are better at least.
    Better than the Monsterverse?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    He has some personality. He seems like a living creature and even briefly laughed in GvK.

Even the Green Lantern movie was still a Green Lantern movie. Godzilla 1998 didn't even technically have Godzilla. And the only good human character in was Jean Reno's character

Better than the Monsterverse?
    It's better than most of the MV Yes Godzilla 98 us also better than Godzilla 2014.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    It's better than most of the MV Yes Godzilla 98 us also better than Godzilla 2014.
    I thought both PR movies were mediocre. The main lead in PR1 was so boring, and while I liked some of the other actors, like Boyega and Elba, killing off Mako seemed unnecessary to me. The story concepts are interesting but underdeveloped and the daikaiju and jaegers had too little individual characterization in either movie. They're better than G'98 but that's not hard to beat.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Monsterverse Pacific Rim >>>> Cloverfield/Godzilla 98
    Is this question serious while I will love Cloverfield for introducing me to the beauty that is Jessica Lucas, the first movie held my attention, the rest were meh. The Monsterverse movies were at worst a meh (GvK) to like Skull Island all the way to love KotM. Pacific Rim was ok to good much better than GvK and maybe slightly better than Skull. However what really makes this decision easy is that Godzilla 98 for me is as bad and I hate it as much as Vakanai hates GvK. Which I didn't think was good either but I don't dislike it like Vak does, however I might hate Godzilla 98 even more. It is like they took something I love and made it crap, sort of like that Green Lantern movie (which even that I don't loath as much as I loathe Godzilla 98).
    Yep, those are my feelings towards GvK exactly, which is why it's so hard for me to take the OP's opinion as fact. Add in that the pacing issues with KotM really hurt that film, all the negative things I've heard on Pac Rim 2, and that I consider 1998 a bad Godzilla movie but a good generic monster movie and Cloverfield as one of the better monster movies to date (and also what I saw of Cloverfield Lane was good), and it just doesn't seem all that straight cut to me. You're comparing flawed films and franchises with other flawed films and franchises - there's good and bad on both sides film-wise. I mean on the whole the MonsterVerse is better than 1998, but it's unfair to compare the whole series to one film, and the one series has in my opinion one of the worst films I've ever sat through. So it kind of evens out. Even if we just took out the Godzilla films, even Pac Rim vs Cloverfield is far from an easy comparison. Both franchises have and excellent first film (Cloverfield/Pacific Rim) terrible sequels (Cloverfield Paradox/Pacific Rim Uprising) and good kind of outside the normal related stuff (Cloverfield Lane/Pac Rim: The Black anime).

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I def. liked Godzilla 98.
    It just shouldn’t have been called Godzilla.
    As a giant monster movie in and of itself it was great. The special effects, the action, the humor, all first rate. Broderick, Reno, and Azaria all turned in good performances.

I know the above’ll fall on deaf ears but I gotta stand by one of my favorite nineties movies.

Oh yeah, and I liked Cloverfield.
    It was a really innovative way to present a giant monster running amok.
    Not on deaf ears - I'm in complete agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not on deaf ears - I'm in complete agreement.
    Sweet!
    Always nice to meet someone else who liked that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Sweet!
    Always nice to meet someone else who liked that movie.
    My favorite bit was the chase/fight with the helicopters. Helicopters chasing him down between skyscrapers and that stealth kill he pulled off at the end, that scene was just so memorable when I was a kid.

G 98 was closer to The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms than Godzilla. Which is ironic, since the original Godzilla was "inspired" by The Beast.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 09-02-2021 at 07:20 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

The first Cloverfield was good. The second one with John Goodman- 10 Cloverfield Lane was even better (yeah, i know it was retrofitted into being a Cloverfield movie but it still counts).

Godzilla 98 wasn't good at all IMO. The Monsterverse was ok but GvK was pretty terrible. The first Pacific Rim was good the second one was not.

All in all, it's a toss-up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    G 98 was closer to The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms than Godzilla. Which is ironic, since the original Godzilla was "inspired" by The Beast.
    True

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The first Cloverfield was good. The second one with John Goodman- 10 Cloverfield Lane was even better (yeah, i know it was retrofitted into being a Cloverfield movie but it still counts).

Godzilla 98 wasn't good at all IMO. The Monsterverse was ok but GvK was pretty terrible. The first Pacific Rim was good the second one was not.

All in all, it's a toss-up.
    Cloverfield Lane was pretty good