Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aren't Monsterverse & Pacific Rim better than 1998 Godzilla movie & Cloverfield?

Who else prefer Monsterverse & Pacific Rim film series to the 1998 Godzilla film and Cloverfield franchise?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Who else prefer Monsterverse & Pacific Rim film series to the 1998 Godzilla film and Cloverfield franchise?
    Sounds agreeable at least when it comes to the recent Monsterverse movies. Last I heard Pacific Rim is dead if not animated and Cloverfield live is dead or was dying on streaming too.

10 Cloverfield Lane deserves to stand on its own though. I don't know if the other Titan movies ever made a good survival thriller where the capital B big things never actually showed up.

Pacific Rim, yes. But outside of Skull Island, which I thought was great, the recent Godzilla movies are not as good as Godzilla 98, Shin Godzilla, or most of the Japanese G films. The only thing they are better than is King Kong 75.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yes and no. Pacific Rim 1 is good, 2 is shit as I understand it (I refuse to even watch it after some reviews and spoilers). Most of the MonsterVerse, 3/4ths of it, are great to middling, but GvK was really, really, really shit (that one I did see - and I regret it). Meanwhile 1998 while a horrible Godzilla adaptation, is an alright monster movie (better than GvK). And while the spin-off sequel things have been weird/not good, the original Cloverfield movie actually is pretty good.

Honestly, what's even the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Sounds agreeable at least when it comes to the recent Monsterverse movies.
    Actually it becomes less agreeable to me the more recent one goes with the Monsterverse movies. 2014 and Skull Island were great, King of the Monsters kind of meh okay, and GvK was the only film I've ever been angry over at the end.

Ultimate Member

Being better than 1998 Godzilla is a low bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Being better than 1998 Godzilla is a low bar.
    First thing i thought too. What a dreadful farce that movie is.

I thought G 98 was a fun monster movie. Okay, it wasn't a good Godzilla movie, but not a bad giant lizard movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    First thing i thought too. What a dreadful farce that movie is.
    The problem was it was done by Roland Emmerich, who's not a great filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought G 98 was a fun monster movie. Okay, it wasn't a good Godzilla movie, but not a bad giant lizard movie.
    It was an ok giant monster movie, and the 90s seemed to have somewhat of a resurgence of such movies so it fit in with that. But it's one of the worst Godzilla movies ever IMO.

Incredible Member

The first two Cloverfield movies are better than anything that's come out of the Monsterverse or Pacific Rim series. By a very WIDE margin.

Ultimate Member

Really? I thought Cloverfield was just an OK daikaiju movie.

My problem with these daikaiju movies originating in the USA is the daikaiju don't have much personality. Godzilla, for instance, is a character all on his own, and so are Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. Pacific Rim movies had well designed daikaiju and jaegers, but they needed more individuality in their behavior and actions

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Really? I thought Cloverfield was just an OK daikaiju movie.

My problem with these daikaiju movies originating in the USA is the daikaiju don't have much personality. Godzilla, for instance, is a character all on his own, and so are Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. Pacific Rim movies had well designed daikaiju and jaegers, but they needed more individuality in their behavior and actions
    Well, in the Monsterverse, Godzilla is a force of nature we can't really understand. Conversely, their take on Kong gives him more personality, working as a contrast.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Monsterverse Pacific Rim >>>> Cloverfield/Godzilla 98
    Is this question serious while I will love Cloverfield for introducing me to the beauty that is Jessica Lucas, the first movie held my attention, the rest were meh. The Monsterverse movies were at worst a meh (GvK) to like Skull Island all the way to love KotM. Pacific Rim was ok to good much better than GvK and maybe slightly better than Skull. However what really makes this decision easy is that Godzilla 98 for me is as bad and I hate it as much as Vakanai hates GvK. Which I didn't think was good either but I don't dislike it like Vak does, however I might hate Godzilla 98 even more. It is like they took something I love and made it crap, sort of like that Green Lantern movie (which even that I don't loath as much as I loathe Godzilla 98).

I def. liked Godzilla 98.
    It just shouldn’t have been called Godzilla.
    As a giant monster movie in and of itself it was great. The special effects, the action, the humor, all first rate. Broderick, Reno, and Azaria all turned in good performances.

I know the above’ll fall on deaf ears but I gotta stand by one of my favorite nineties movies.

Oh yeah, and I liked Cloverfield.
    It was a really innovative way to present a giant monster running amok.

Pacific Rim 1 and 2 are better at least.