Default How does the Future State timeline work?

Yara Flor being established in her book as 21 years old got me thinking about the ages of the Future State JL and other characters.
    When FS was launching, DC published a timeline saying Future State JL took place in 2040.
    That would make Yara Flor 40 by that time, which is ok for an Amazonian.
    Jon Kent would be in his late thirties, which also works.
    Then you have Jace Fox Batman, who looks at least 25 now, so he could be in his late 40s (even thought he looked much younger in Future State).
    But then there are cases like the FS Green Lantern Jo Mullein, who looks exactly like she does in the present (around 25-30, I'd say), but that would make her almost 50 in that JL story, which is very far from the way she was drawn.

The same timeline also states Superman/Wonder Woman happens 50 years in the future. Yet they don't seem that experienced in the story. Am I missing something?

I'm probably giving this more thought than DC did, but since so much of FS is impacting the present, it got me thinking of how does it all work with the way these same characters are being introduced in the present.

Honest answer is probably the DC didn’t think about it to hard and just wanted some cool looking visuals and to see what works. I mean come on if anything is weird Andy is currently a baby.

Genuinely in terms of timeline all I can think is that DC took characters that they had and created that they wanted to have and used them in some alternate future in their generic prime ages. After Future State ended they just took what worked into the present and can just explain all irregularities away by saying that it was just some alternate timeline/reality.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honest answer is probably the DC didn’t think about it to hard and just wanted some cool looking visuals and to see what works. I mean come on if anything is weird Andy is currently a baby.

Genuinely in terms of timeline all I can think is that DC took characters that they had and created that they wanted to have and used them in some alternate future in their generic prime ages. After Future State ended they just took what worked into the present and can just explain all irregularities away by saying that it was just some alternate timeline/reality.
    Andy's age in the future is actually the one that works best, IMO. She's the one that looks and sounds the way she's drawn. Everyone else also looks 20 even thought they're supposed to be 40.
    But I agree with your other comments. They probably didn't think too hard and will shrug off inconstencies by pulling the AU card.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Jace has bits of white hair in one of his future state promo pic so he looks pretty late 40s to me. I didn't read his book so I don't know if he looks younger in the comic itself.

Catwoman, Talia and Harley are just because of the anime-ish art style of Otto Schmidt and Dan Mora. I pointed it out when Harley's design first came out that she should be middle age but doesn't look like she aged a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Andy's age in the future is actually the one that works best, IMO. She's the one that looks and sounds the way she's drawn. Everyone else also looks 20 even thought they're supposed to be 40.
    But I agree with your other comments. They probably didn't think too hard and will shrug off inconstencies by pulling the AU card.
    Oh I meant it’s weird how she’s a baby now but in Future State she’s somehow around the same age as Jon and Yara, should have been clearer about that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I think the short answer is..... it doesn't work!

I'm of the opinion the books were already there to go, but when Didio and 5G went by the wayside, DC figured what the hell and released them anyway.
    Much easier than getting creative teams to start again from scratch.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I think the short answer is..... it doesn't work!

I'm of the opinion the books were already there to go, but when Didio and 5G went by the wayside, DC figured what the hell and released them anyway.
    Much easier than getting creative teams to start again from scratch.
    This guy... he gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yara Flor being established in her book as 21 years old got me thinking about the ages of the Future State JL and other characters.
    When FS was launching, DC published a timeline saying Future State JL took place in 2040.
    That would make Yara Flor 40 by that time, which is ok for an Amazonian.
    Jon Kent would be in his late thirties, which also works.
    Then you have Jace Fox Batman, who looks at least 25 now, so he could be in his late 40s (even thought he looked much younger in Future State).
    But then there are cases like the FS Green Lantern Jo Mullein, who looks exactly like she does in the present (around 25-30, I'd say), but that would make her almost 50 in that JL story, which is very far from the way she was drawn.

The same timeline also states Superman/Wonder Woman happens 50 years in the future. Yet they don't seem that experienced in the story. Am I missing something?

I'm probably giving this more thought than DC did, but since so much of FS is impacting the present, it got me thinking of how does it all work with the way these same characters are being introduced in the present.
    Point of reference...its "Amazon" not Amazonian. "Amazonian" is a descriptive... it refers to something " of the Amazons" or " bearing qualities associated with an Amazon". So one could have ""Amazonian pottery" or " Amazonian fighting techniques", etc. But Diana, Hippolyte, etc are Amazons.

Also, thusfar it's onlybthe Amazons of the Island that have been immortal. I don't yet think we know if the Amazons of Yara's culture are immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    this is not the case with mine.

Consider how the Armageddon 2001 Annuals didn't really happen ten years later.

The stories in Future State may not happen by the time the DCU gets there.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Consider how the Armageddon 2001 Annuals didn't really happen ten years later.
    I don't know if Armageddon 2001 works as an example since that story got changed drastically from how it was suppose to go right at the very end, invalidating one of the already published issues.