Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on Other Justice League Books

What are peoples' opinions on other Justice League books or Justice League spinoff books:

Justice League Detroit

Justice League Europe

Justice League Task Force

Justice League Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What are peoples' opinions on other Justice League books or Justice League spinoff books:

Justice League Detroit

Justice League Europe

Justice League Dark
    I’m fond of Justice League Dark and that’s about it.

Personally I prefer Tynion’s post Metal version of the team. The new 52 wasn’t bad it just was in the new 52 era and wasn’t exactly a consistent lineup aside from John and Zatanna as I recall. Personally I’m just a fan of the oddball magic team that lives in the justice league’s basement.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Justice League Europe was definitely better than the main JL book.

JL spinoffs has been better than the main books for the most part.

JlD is the only I've read so far and liked it. I'm fond of the DCU mystical side.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-04-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Awful name aside, JLD is the only one I’ve enjoyed running alongside the main JL title.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

There's Justice League Dark and then there's everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Awful name aside, JLD is the only one I’ve enjoyed running alongside the main JL title.
    I don't mind the "Justice League Dark" name for marketing purposes, but them being actually called Justice League Dark in-universe is dumb.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Started out strong as an anthology-type book. The first couple issue made me the Gypsy fan I am today. Sal Valuto's artwork is like Neal Adams for the 90s, but In a way that totally works. The two part tie in to Knightfall might be my favorite part of that event. There's a gut busting story arc by Peter David which might be one of the funniest comics ever made. There's a fun one shot after that by then newbie Jeph Loeb that actually makes the Bloodlines heroes not suck.

Then Judgement Day happens and overnight all the Justice League titles become unreadable for about two years. Christopher Priest and Mark usually turn out good to great work, but their run is one of the worst comics DC put out in the 90s. If you change the characters, you could easily mistake it for an Extreme Studio's book. Morrison coming onto JLA was a godsend for that franchise.

Justice League Detroit

Imagine if Justice League International was played completely straight. These characters are so dopey you can't help but love it. This was DC's attempt to "New Teen Titans" up the Justice League, giving focus to smaller characters who didn't have their own books so you could do more with character development and soap operatic elements. Even though the Detroit era was really clunky, I find it infinitely more endearing than your typical "Big 7 try to stop a world threatening event" story. The last year of this run is legitimately great. The team has this brutal, multiple issue spanning fight with Desparo and the last four issues written by one of my favorite comic writers, JM Dematteis is one of the greatest Justicr League stories ever told.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 12-04-2022 at 09:00 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Justice League Detroit At the time, I enjoyed it. I re-read a few issues a little while ago and didn't think they'd aged too well. Still nowhere near the worst JL book though!!

Justice League Europe When this book kicked off, I loved it. As it went on though it just became another super-hero book.

Again, when this kicked off it was great! After Zero Hour it quickly went down the crapper.

Justice League Dark Really enjoyed the first iteration (Shadowpact). I didn't enjoy the New 52 stuff as much.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post

Started out strong as an anthology-type book. The first couple issue made me the Gypsy fan I am today. Sal Valuto's artwork is like Neal Adams for the 90s, but In a way that totally works. The two part tie in to Knightfall might be my favorite part of that event. There's a gut busting story arc by Peter David which might be one of the funniest comics ever made. There's a fun one shot after that by then newbie Jeph Loeb that actually makes the Bloodlines heroes not suck.
    Yeah! I stopped reading after KnightQuest: The Search, but enjoyed it when Nightwing got involved during the start
    (Dick certainly knows how to make an entrance, too )

Justice League Detroit -- I enjoyed seeing Orin in a leadership role. I LOVED Vixen, Vibe, and Jonn.

Justice League Europe -- JL, JLE, JLA, and JLI. THIS is what I think of when I think of the League.

Justice League Task Force -- I liked seeing Jonn lead and I liked seeing the various squad members selected before it started just outright copying the X-Men

Justice League Dark -- not a fan of this era in general but applaud the talent behind it

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I still dont understand how DC isnt able to make multiple JL books work.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I wonder the same thing...
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

No reason they can't have three books. Justice League, the global superteam fighting big threats (could include people like Doctor Light here, and obviously, Superman). Justice League of America, a team defending the homeland (to justify the "of America" part of the name - logically, this one shouldn't include any foreigners, the diversity would come from gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation instead). And Justice League Dark, the team fighting mystical threats.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

The appeal of the Justice League is that is the team of the biggest and most popular heroes fighting the biggest threads.

And if you add a secondary team, it simply doesn't have that appeal.

And you have similar problem if you start filling up the cast of the main team with B and C Listers.

Justice League Dark is a exception because because because it has strong focus on magic, which is other wise not much represented in the comics DC puts out.
    Last edited by Aahz; 12-06-2022 at 02:13 PM.