Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What sort of lineup would you want for a "Titans generation" book?

Seeing some complaining (e.g., in the Nightwing thread in the Batman forum) about the "Meet the new Titans!" in Nightwing #101 being the NTT lineup again. So that made me think about, okay, what would people here actually want from a book of characters around the age of Nightwing (teens in the Silver Age/70s, late-teens/early-20s in the late 80s/90s, and probably mid-late 20s now character histories have settled down again into something at least vaguely publication-based)?

This is not limited to characters who have actually been Titans, let alone those primarily identifiable as such. Characters including but not limited to the "Infinity Inc" generation JSAers, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, etc are included; as well as more recent debutants who are in the same general "late 20s" age bracket. No need for them to have established relationships, we can assume the first arc has them being thrown together by chance and then deciding to stay together in that way team books have frequently done throughout comics history.

(Oh... and no brownie points for blatant "Big 7 JLA" analogues - i.e., something like "Supergirl, Red Hood, Donna Troy, Jesse Quick, Jessica Cruz, Dolphin, Starfire" technically meets the criteria, but everyone being a direct JL counterpart is boring.)

Incredible Member

I'll be honest, I don't know. The Titans franchise and the majority of its characters were purposefully mishandled for almost two decades, with Teen Titans Academy being the last of Didio's direct influence/ideas. NTT is the most popular run and what just about every run after it chases so I can see why DC is trying to find comfort in that lineup.

Before TTA I thought DC should've tried Dick and Donna and/or Starfire being the mentors to various teen characters that either fell to the wayside (or died) or had some popularity in TT at some point despite horrible stories... so like Ace/Wallace, Tanya, Red Devil, Ravager, Bunker, Jai, Solstice, etc. But then TTA came out and it was really bad so idk.

Though I'll be honest with Waid/Mora Fab Five getting so much attention ever since they first got teased I really feel like DC should've done a mini at least to get back with Titans fans good graces...

Dick, Donna, Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, new member, new member. Cutting 1 of the NTTs lineup from each gen to make room for someone new to the franchise.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-19-2022 at 11:03 PM.

Aside from the usual suspects, I hope they bring in and develop Hotspot. And give us a better Red X.(but as a recurring antagonist like the cartoon)

I do think that after so long being mishandled, the classic team could use the spotlight again. But it would be great to have some fresher faces alongside them. So my team would be:

Nightwing (co-leader)
    Donna Troy (co-leader)
    Cyborg
    Raven
    Starfire
    Changeling
    Flash (Wally)
    +
    Bunker
    Argent
    Bumblebee

I would avoid adding any new legacies, because the team needs to stand on their own and not be perceived as JL junior.
    Since the cast would be pretty big, members would rotate depending on mission.
    I would also have Arsenal, Tempest and Omen appear as a sort of undercover supporting unit that could eventually get its own spin-off.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm actually perfectly fine with the NTT line-up, I think it's just missing Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm actually perfectly fine with the NTT line-up, I think it's just missing Arsenal.
    I'd add Arsenal and Kyle Rayner.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'd like the following roster:

Nightwing
    Donna
    Flash(Wally)
    Arsenal
    Tempest
    Bumblebee
    Red Star
    Pantha
    Green Lantern(Kyle or Jessica)
    Zatara(Zachary)
    Thunder
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I’m tired of Titans writers filling the team with new and very forgettable characters while they’re are so many great and underutilized DC heroes out there on the shelf.

I love NTT but a new series with that roster is an immediate turnoff for me.

My picks are:

Power Girl (Tanya Spears)
    Djinn
    Roundhouse
    Red Arrow
    Wallace West
    Ravager
    Miss Martian
    Red Devil (is he still dead?)
    Solstice (restore the pre-New 52 version)
    Skitter
    Bunker
    Crush
    Blue Beetle
    Bart Allen (if for no other reason than to see Rose tease him again)
    1996 Teen Titans
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I do think that after so long being mishandled, the classic team could use the spotlight again. But it would be great to have some fresher faces alongside them. So my team would be:

Nightwing (co-leader)
    Donna Troy (co-leader)
    Cyborg
    Raven
    Starfire
    Changeling
    Flash (Wally)
    +
    Bunker
    Argent
    Bumblebee

I would avoid adding any new legacies, because the team needs to stand on their own and not be perceived as JL junior.
    Since the cast would be pretty big, members would rotate depending on mission.
    I would also have Arsenal, Tempest and Omen appear as a sort of undercover supporting unit that could eventually get its own spin-off.
    I wouldn't mind this line-up. I would however drop Cyborg (who is getting his own series and let him shine there) and use Karen (Bumblebee) as the tech genius in his place. I would also like to see Powerhouse picked up and used. She could be a nice protege for Karen as well.

Extraordinary Member

I think they should for the start just go with Fab5, Raven, Beast Boy, Cyborg and Starfire get those characters back on track, and than (meaning like 2-3 years down the line) maybe slowly makes changes to the roaster.

Alternativy they could make second book related for the Younger Titans a have those occasionally cross over.

I think than the Wolfman Perez New Teen Titans should be know now just as New Titans, sans teens, because... they are not teens anymore, but young adults or post teens if you prefer.
    Do my way I would set two different teams: the New Titans and the Teen Titans, with the New being the classic Wolfman/Perez line up with some mobile changes to incorporate other characters in similar age stage, meanwhile the Teens Titans would be composed of teen characters, and where new teen faces debut.

So New Titans will be like: Nightwing, Donna, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven , Beast Boy.

And Teen Titans be like: Robin (Damian), Kid Flash (Ace), Blue Beetle, Miss Martian, And in each team at least new characters.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Nightwing, Troia, Aqualad (Jackson Hyde), Starfire, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Raven, Omen, Superboy (Kon-El), Kid Flash (Wallace West), Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes), Argent, Speedy (Mia Dearden), and Static

I think the roster needs to be more than just the NTT roster (but can still include them). If they are truly the new Titans League of America, they can have more than the usual 6 or 7 members.

I also agree with using some of the MANY existing underutilised members. If they add somebody new, make it somebody with some credentials like Jon and Yara.

I'd like to see:
    Dick
    Donna
    Kory
    Raven
    Vic
    Gar
    Wally
    +
    Jon
    Yara
    Karen/Bumblebee