Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I am not aware of such a law, nor do I know why one would exist. It's certainly not some anti-trust violation to not advertise competitors.

And I'm sure there are some sorts of Ads, like generic Ads for the service. So I'm not suggesting that there are none, just that there would be a business disincentive to run advertisements for the competition.
    Then it's really weird to see Disney and Nickelodeon airing commercials for each other's shows.

BANNED

Eh, While I understand what she means, I have a feeling people are going to take it the wrong way and see her more as a snub.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I've noticed this the few times I have to use the phone to get online - I have no clue how to get an ad-blocker on my phone, it's one of the reasons I stick to my laptop for watching youtube. I guess since most of the world uses their phones as their primary or preferred method to access the internet it works for Netflix. As someone who uses a laptop I'm out of touch with modern pop culture. Woot!
    For most phone ad blockers you'll get to root the phone to get them to work. You also have to get them from external sources as most ain't available on the play store (ads are big business for Google after all). The ab blocks that don't need rooting work like a VPN. You will have to put in a little bit a work to get them to work.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

With no end to the pandemic in sight, I just can't see how it's responsible to push "in theaters only." Or even economically feasible. You're never going to get back to those original numbers in communities with high transmission levels.

Not sure how this plays out. Maybe things will level off in the coming months. Currently in Texas it's...not good.

I think filmmakers and studios might need to accept a model where films continue to be available the same day in theaters and for streaming. What that means, I can't say. Maybe budgets for summer blockbusters will be significantly scaled back.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I use ad blockers when I'm on PC. I don't have them when I watch YouTube on TV and it's difficult to get on my phone.
    I can't even imagine using youtube without an ad blocker. That's the best invention since the laundry machine.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I can't even imagine using youtube without an ad blocker. That's the best invention since the laundry machine.
    I been looking for solutions. I been looking into ad blocke on the router so I can have it network wide. I need to check if my router supports open firmware. If not then I will have to configure it to use DNS servers that do the job
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 09-03-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I don't know that "legendary greatness" is a thing that exists anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I been looking for solutions. I been looking into ad blocke on the router so I can have it network wide. I need to check if my router supports open firmware. If not then I will have to configure it to use DNS servers that do the job
    Neat idea, but wouldn't you have to terminate SSL at your router for it to be able to inspect the HTTPS packets? Or could it be done by blocking DNS hostnames?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    With no end to the pandemic in sight, I just can't see how it's responsible to push "in theaters only." Or even economically feasible. You're never going to get back to those original numbers in communities with high transmission levels.

Not sure how this plays out. Maybe things will level off in the coming months. Currently in Texas it's...not good.

I think filmmakers and studios might need to accept a model where films continue to be available the same day in theaters and for streaming. What that means, I can't say. Maybe budgets for summer blockbusters will be significantly scaled back.
    The bolded part is key.

Yes, movies can be released in theatres but the simple fact is that most people are still avoiding large gatherings where they can.

Day and date streaming might not be the immediate solution but a shorter theatrical window has to be accepted at this point in time. As you rightly pointed out, states like Texas and Florida are doing everything they can to ensure the pandemic never goes away, so the studios have to prepare for this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The bolded part is key.

Yes, movies can be released in theatres but the simple fact is that most people are still avoiding large gatherings where they can.

Day and date streaming might not be the immediate solution but a shorter theatrical window has to be accepted at this point in time. As you rightly pointed out, states like Texas and Florida are doing everything they can to ensure the pandemic never goes away, so the studios have to prepare for this.

Its crazy. I mean even with all the vaccinations barely half the country is fully vaxxed. Vaccination rates are increasing but not nearly fast enough. Then they are talking about boosters soon. These movies doing just in theaters releases are not going to be able to make money. The whole industry needs to rethink itself right now.

Hyperbole because she's essentially a purist when it comes to filmmaking. I mean, she's not the only one to be exasperated and say things that just are way exaggerated. But they're doing what they have to do. I get on the suits as much as anyone but what were they supposed to do when cinemas were literally shut down then limited for a year?
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-03-2021 at 04:14 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

A bit puzzling to read assertions that people aren't going to theaters on a weekend Shang-Chi is set to open with around 70 million domestic.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Its crazy. I mean even with all the vaccinations barely half the country is fully vaxxed. Vaccination rates are increasing but not nearly fast enough. Then they are talking about boosters soon. These movies doing just in theaters releases are not going to be able to make money. The whole industry needs to rethink itself right now.
    That's the thing, I understand the studios pain but the current situation is temporary and things should eventually get back to normal.

Key word being should.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    One thing I've heard (based of the Scarlett Johansson v Disney lawsuit) is that streaming services usually don't provide any sort of backend deals based on success. Which sort of makes sense, because these films are not paid for individually so it would not be as easy and intuitive to determine how much they have benefited from any particular film. So stars are less inclined to take them generally, and if they do they are paid more upfront.

Perhaps this explains why there are so many streaming movies with stars, where they don't seem to particularly care, and are just there for a paycheck, because they lack the normal incentives that motivate them try and make the film successful. Could be a similar case with the rest of the crew, where they know that the value of "success" is muted based on how the project is being monitized.
    Maybe that will change as streaming becomes more mainstream and a part of filmmaking?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Cloverfield got buzz over how bad it was, I never heard of Bright or The Old Guard until I got netflix a couple years later, and I honestly thought Bird Box was a series not a film.

She has a point in that if you're not really cued into a certain circle of social media you don't hear or know or care about these movies. They almost kind of exist in this space outside of pop culture awareness. Everyone knows about whenever a MCU or Disney remake or other big blockbuster drops (not counting current crazy covid times). But it's easy to be completely unaware of streaming films. I mean, how many of them get talked about here? They get no commercials, few articles, rare discussion. Regardless of their quality (because some are very good!). They just kind of get chucked out there with little fanfare.
    And?

Like I don't understand how that is supposed to be a shot against them. I don't have a lot of time in a given day between work, dogs, wife/kids, gym/ring training, writing/shooting/editing my own projects....so when I get online its on a certain specific site at a specific time and that's it. So there are tons and tons of streaming stuff that pops up that I have no idea what it is. Just because I don't does not mean it can't or won't be good. Just because there are a lot of them and yeah they come outta nowhere doesn't make them bad...or whatever Jenkins seems to be railing against here. As folks have said, her words reek of gatekeeping.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia