Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've been watching classic PERRY MASON and there's an argument of "best evidence." We have a quote of a quote, excerpted from a much longer conversation. And we know that this was all recorded--so best evidence is to have the actual recording and look at that--not rely on partial

I'm willing to wait for best evidence and then judge from that.
    Here’s the longer version of Jenkins comments for more context. She seemed to be critical of the inherent disposability of the streaming model that relegates movies to simply part of a ocean-swell of content for the algorithm, and how the model is being used a sort of dumping ground for movies, which in effect dilutes the theatrical model.

She technically isn’t wrong. Netflix movies hardly ever come up in the pop culture conversation on the level of a theatrical movies, and once a studio decides to sacrifice theatrically-intended movies like Mitchell’s Versus Robots to the altar of streaming I think there’s an argument to made that it hurts theatrical exhibition by depriving those movies of a theatrical run in favor of streaming. Though obviously a large part of that is due to the pandemic, and Jenkins is expressing her frustrations at studios like Warners moving more and more to that model thanks to the pandemic and becoming reliant on that. So she’s merely sounding the alarm on the strategy and the mindset. Pointing out that the model isn’t a suitable method for films and filmmakers towards attracting mainstream recognition and achievement.

That being said, even with theatrically released movies a vast majority of them don’t really make the conversation and there’s a lot of garbage that gets forgotten about. Arosnon’s insinuation that a movie is only a movie if it’s released in theaters and a movie released on streaming is a just TV movie is reductionist nonsense, and ignores good streaming only films like Da 5 Bloods. I know Netflix movies are mostly trash, but I don’t think theatrical exhibition’s track record this year is that much better. There’s a lot of movies intended for theaters that got dumped on streaming that would’ve bombed had it been released in theaters.

In fact, the majority of WB’s slate this year has been poorly received and likely wouldn’t have done well even if they were given conventional theatrical only releases, and so many studios are much more reticent to actually make those independent movies and distribute them because they don’t make much money off of it. Streaming provides a good avenue for those movies that otherwise studios wouldn’t risk any money to make to be released.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-05-2021 at 10:25 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Arosnon’s insinuation that a movie is only a movie if it’s released in theaters and a movie released on streaming is a just TV movie is reductionist nonsense, and ignores good streaming only films like Da 5 Bloods.
    I would seriously argue that the statement directly targets, rather than ignores, good streaming films like Da 5 Bloods. If that's pointed to as an example of the greatest streaming has to offer, then streaming is by definition forgettable.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I would seriously argue that the statement directly targets, rather than ignores, good streaming films like Da 5 Bloods. If that's pointed to as an example of the greatest streaming has to offer, then streaming is by definition forgettable.
    That's my feeling as well, while I don't think it's impossible for Netflix to produce a high quality film I don't think it has yet. With the continued growth of streaming that very well could change, but right now I think there is a difference between a film produced by streaming companies and a film produced by the old guard of Hollywood studious. Tv shows though, now that's a different animal, I'd argue that shows like The Man in the High Castle, Handmaidens Tale, Stranger Things and the Mandalorian are just as good as anything on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with quality. Streaming has tossed a wrench in how Hollywood system usually works. How movies get greenlit will be different, the metrics for success will be different, payouts will be different (probably biggest issue for a Patty Jenkins). Making this about quality is a smokescreen.
    But the point is she wasn't talking about quality. She's talking about how movies are promoted.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Basically this is just like the diamond tycoons realizing if that advertise something as fancy and pretentious and put a high price on it, they can sell glorified rocks for more than they are worth. The theatrical model is the same thing, it's just a psyop that presents media in such a way to convince people of deeper meaning and hence monitary value. It's like putting modern art into a museum inflating it's prices. It's just a scam.

Patty, no big screen was going to fix how crappy Cheetah looked.