All-New Member

Default My attempt to become a Superman expert

I'm trying to become a Superman expert by reading every Action Comics and Superman comics since 1939. I'm blogging my response to every issue, trying to chart his growth. If you want to check it out, have any critiques, or questions, go to http://www.supermancomicaday.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lastnoblesteed View Post
    I'm trying to become a Superman expert by reading every Action Comics and Superman comics since 1939. I'm blogging my response to every issue, trying to chart his growth. If you want to check it out, have any critiques, or questions, go to http://www.supermancomicaday.com/
    You'd need to do at least 5-10 issues to have any hope of completing it in 10 years.

Holy hell, good luck mate. I applaud your dedication but I’d never do that myself even as a huge Superman fan lol. Too much chaff to sift through.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Good luck! I've tried to do the same( i.E. reading everything in chronological order from 1938 to present) few times over the years but I don't have the time or discipline to tackle such a feat.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 09-03-2021 at 05:57 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Good luck and keep working at it. Be persistent and yet patient. Do research and consider a lot of perspectives. Expertise isn't easy; for a character like Superman, with such a huge mountain of history, acquiring expertise will be among the most difficult challenges you could tackle.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-03-2021 at 08:42 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Good luck! Still to this day I never met anyone with as much raw knowledge about the character and history than the old member Kurosawa. He's...not around these parts anymore, but he was a walking encyclopedia.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Good luck my friend. I too started this noble endeavour last year. I'm up to 1942. I'm also reading the stories on World's Finest Comics and I'll probably go through the Superboy stuff.But I'll read only when and if I feel like it. I'll probably never catchup but it's fun to try!

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I wish I could obtain Action Comics #1 someday. Doesn't have to be in mint condition.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Between 2020 and early 2021 I read nearly every Superman, Wonder Woman and JLA comic from the Silver and Bronze Age.
    It was a great way to cope with all the COVID stress and self isolation. I read a lot every day and didn't watch much TV.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

There was a book I read as a kid called "The Comic Book Kid." It was the story of a boy who accidentally spilled punch on his dad's copy of Superman #1 which he inherited from his mother, and he went back in time using a mysterious comic book to right the wrong. I used to read it all the time in school during breaks, and it may have helped in getting me into DC. It's how I learned of Jack Kirby, an obscure comic character called Kazaar the Great, Jungle Comics, and Todd McFarlane. Because of that book, I want a copy of Superman #1.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.