Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default Why were there 2 different versions of 616 Peter/Spider-Man during Secret Wars?

I’ve never seen any posts on this topic, so I decided to ask since I like posting about continuity errors. So during Secret Wars (2015), we had two different versions of 616 Peter running around. We had the one who survived the convergence along with Reed Richards, T’Challa, Peter Quill, etc., and most importantly Miles Morales. During the main Secret Wars series, Peter and Miles help the others in trying to defeat Doom and end Battleworld’s existence.

However, there was a side series running during the event called “Ultimate End”, which is where the 616 and Ultimate heroes who died during the convergence were placed, with them believing they accidentally merged their two worlds, only to find out later on that Doom constructed this entire new universe inside of Battleworld and it was the fault of none of them.

Eventually, Miles (who survived the convergence) makes his way across Battleworld to let them know the truth. The problem is that there is another version of 616 Peter who stars heavily during Ultimate End. So Peter got a Battleworld duplicate even though he survived the convergence, but Miles didn’t? Miles never seems to think it’s strange that he meets Peter again even though he was just helping the Peter that survived the convergence?? It is never addressed in any book that there are two versions of 616 Pete running around, the one who survived the convergence, and the one starring in “Ultimate End.” Want to know if anyone has came up with an explanation for this, or has their own head canon lol. This has been bugging me for 6 years.

And to anyone wondering, I’m not counting Renew your Vows since it wasn’t a version of 616 Peter, and has even sprung into its own universe after Secret Wars ended, although 616 Pete, MJ, and Regent seem to somehow retain some memory of it.

apparently he is a different version of peter
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Peter...)_(Earth-61610)
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Definitely makes sense, I guess it’s just strange how all the characters during Ultimate End are treated as the main versions of themselves, have the same memories that are unique to their specific versions, etc, and how the main/original Peter that survived the incursion was never mentioned. I guess Miles didn’t want to give 61610 Pete even more of an existential breakdown that he was merely a construct of Doom. Thanks!

Ultimate End was always a weird kind of mini, even by Battleworld standards.

Astonishing Member

On a related note, has it ever been explained how Miles Morales' origin works in the current post-Secret Wars timeline? Especially since Spider-Men II revealed that there was a 616 Miles as well, who's closer to Peter's age.

Incredible Member

Spider-Men, like most Bendis projects, starts off interestingly but then only adds confusion within the story and in the greater context. So I wouldn't try to hard to reconcile this with Miles' origin.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    Spider-Men, like most Bendis projects, starts off interestingly but then only adds confusion within the story and in the greater context. So I wouldn't try to hard to reconcile this with Miles' origin.
    Seconded, Bendis lost his touch after Spider-man's death

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    On a related note, has it ever been explained how Miles Morales' origin works in the current post-Secret Wars timeline? Especially since Spider-Men II revealed that there was a 616 Miles as well, who's closer to Peter's age.
    He's bitten by a spider, looks up to Spider-Man and decides to become a hero himself. Broad strokes and all.

There was a storyline in Miles' post SW series where the 616 Miles was the main antagonist and outright told 1610 Miles he was going to be sent to his original universe, but it never went further than that. Bad Miles is defeated and everyone moves on.
    Last edited by Webhead; 09-03-2021 at 07:05 AM.

Most likely because Bendis and continuity aren’t consistently on speaking terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    apparently he is a different version of peter
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Peter...)_(Earth-61610)
    That only serves to create the plot hole with Miles being missing from there until he shows up in the final issue which implies that it’s the parts from his universe.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 09-03-2021 at 11:46 AM.

He did get a retconned origin that has not been explored much, but recently in ASM and his own series he now remembers that he is from the Ultimate Universe, remembers Ultimate Peter’s death, etc. He basically has two origins now, the original one from the Ultimate Universe, and the retconned one created by the Maker, both of which are canon at the same time. I don’t know how he hasn’t gone insane with two different sets of memories that he has, I hope it’s explored more.

Incredible Member

I actually re-read those issues over the weekend, and didn’t even catch that until I saw this thread and then pulled those issues out and re-read them. Not sure how I missed that the first time. But it has been a few years so….

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    He did get a retconned origin that has not been explored much, but recently in ASM and his own series he now remembers that he is from the Ultimate Universe, remembers Ultimate Peter’s death, etc. He basically has two origins now, the original one from the Ultimate Universe, and the retconned one created by the Maker, both of which are canon at the same time. I don’t know how he hasn’t gone insane with two different sets of memories that he has, I hope it’s explored more.
    So what is his retconned origin?

So what is his retconned origin?
    It has never been explicitly shown, probably since they want to forget about it by now since Miles remembers his old universe, only in small pieces. We are shown in Bendis’ first issue of his “Spider-Man” run with Miles in 616, a cartoonish version of Miles meeting 616 Peter is shown, and it’s shown that Peter gave Miles his blessing after they had a short team up. However in Spider-Men 2, also written by Bendis, it is shown that Miles does remember how he originally met 616 Peter when Peter arrived in the Ultimate universe.

So he seems to not remember at the beggining of Bendis’ run although Bendis said in a interview he did if I remember correctly, sometime between issue 1 and Spider-Men 2 he somehow remembers again that he is from another world and has another origin, it’s never expanded on by Bendis what caused him to be aware of this after previously showing about an alternate 616 history.

Then after 616 Miles leaves for the Ultimate Universe at the end of Spider-Men 2, it is explained in Ahmed’s run that the longer you are away from your universe, you forget you ever were a part of it, so some time between the end of Spider-Men 2 Miles once again forgot he was from another world, until Ultimatum/616 Miles makes him remember during his arc in the current series. Now it seems Miles permanently remembers his original 1610 origin, and they have not dove back into any of his alternate 616 history created because of Molecule Man (not the Maker, my mistake). 616 Miles also tells 1610/Spidey Miles that some of his childhood memories are actually his, vice versa, so now Miles 616 history is very loose and probably won’t be explored much more since he remembers where he is truly from. I think the last time we had a 1610 Miles 616 flashback was in a recent annual that took place during the events of Secret Invasion, although I don’t know if that is to be considered canon or not anymore.