Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman's Relationships With Other League Members

Conversation from a while back in the controversial opinions thread had me realize Diana doesn't have much in the way of a significant relationship/interactions within the comics with the other notable "big" League members outside of Batman and Superman (and those two have their own problems). Occasionally in recent years there's been some with Aquaman but question I have is any of have any particular opinions or ideas on Diana's relations with the other League members?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd like to see her interact with Barry and Hal way more than she does, and it sucks that the most notable instant of the latter is in Johns JL run where they are both written horribly. I think COIE happening and wiping away her time with the League didn't help. Because then she didn't appear until after Barry was dead, and didn't interact much with Hal before he got Parallax'd.

I'm also mostly not in favor of pairing Diana with any of her male JL peers, but the Diana/Hal ship that almost happened in the 70s may have been cute and certainly different than pairing her with Clark or Bruce. At least if it was done back then, I wouldn't trust anyone doing it now.

I think there is untapped potential with Diana interacting with Aquaman, Wally West (Flash) and Kyle Rayner. Especially the latter two, because you rarely see characters being awe inspired or bewildered around Diana and you also get to see be in charge and getting to lead them.

Before this starts any power level debate, I would like to preemptively point out that they are both just playing around in the page above. Its from Tower of Babel btw.

From Green Lantern Vol 3 #73:

(con'td):

final:

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd like to see her interact with Barry and Hal way more than she does, and it sucks that the most notable instant of the latter is in Johns JL run where they are both written horribly. I think COIE happening and wiping away her time with the League didn't help. Because then she didn't appear until after Barry was dead, and didn't interact much with Hal before he got Parallax'd.

I'm also mostly not in favor of pairing Diana with any of her male JL peers, but the Diana/Hal ship that almost happened in the 70s may have been cute and certainly different than pairing her with Clark or Bruce. At least if it was done back then, I wouldn't trust anyone doing it now.
    lol, that 70s ship is one of my favorite bits of "what could have been" trivia. Yeah, I'd to see some writer give some history between them since I'd think they'd make an interesting contrast given they occupy different parts of the DC world.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think there is untapped potential with Diana interacting with Aquaman, Wally West (Flash) and Kyle Rayner. Especially the latter two, because you rarely see characters being awe inspired or bewildered around Diana and you also get to see be in charge and getting to lead them.
    There's been some with Aquaman over the years, I think most recently with Snyder's JL and I think an issue of KSD's Aquaman run.

I love the idea that Wonder Woman naturally doesn't get cold despite the costume (whether because of her natural durability or she's just that used to wearing the costume) .

I was thinking about this the other day. It is strange for a character that has been around for so long and been in so many stories to not really have any friendships with other heroes. Like I can't think of who you would say she is close with. Sure she gets paired up with Batman and Superman because she is part of DC's Trinity they push a lot, but she is very much the 3rd wheel between the three of them with Batman and Superman being paired off more often as much closer friends. So she kind of feels alone, and in terms of female heroes she is close with it feels completely nonexistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day. It is strange for a character that has been around for so long and been in so many stories to not really have any friendships with other heroes. Like I can't think of who you would say she is close with. Sure she gets paired up with Batman and Superman because she is part of DC's Trinity they push a lot, but she is very much the 3rd wheel between the three of them with Batman and Superman being paired off more often as much closer friends. So she kind of feels alone, and in terms of female heroes she is close with it feels completely nonexistent.
    There's been attempts in some recent years when it comes to female characters; some good like Zatanna in the JLD and others truly asinine like Harley Quinn.

Though I'm generally in favor of Diana not being particularly close/friendly with Batman, and Superman though to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Conversation from a while back in the controversial opinions thread had me realize Diana doesn't have much in the way of a significant relationship/interactions within the comics with the other notable "big" League members outside of Batman and Superman (and those two have their own problems). Occasionally in recent years there's been some with Aquaman but question I have is any of have any particular opinions or ideas on Diana's relations with the other League members?
    That is weird given for a very long time Diana was depicted as very close to the Leaguers outside of fellow Trinity members. Notably, Martian Manhunt and Dinah Lance. After the slumber party she became very close to Kimiyo, Vivian, Ice, and her relationship with Peege improved. She also developed close ties to Shayera Thal and Katar Hol. I think my favorite though might be the way that she and Inza as well as she and guy got along. I think that Overmaster bit kind of damaged her relationship with Captain Atom who went full Jerk Mode

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It is weird, but I think part of that comes from Diana being the token woman a lot of the time, with writers not interested in giving her friendships with her fellow male Leaguers unless there’s hints of a romance. Bruce and Barry have been portrayed as close and I like when Clark and J’onn are portrayed as close. For Diana I think Aquaman makes the most sense for who she should be friends with. Both royalty, both have ties to the Greek gods, both have ties to magic, I think there’s enough in common to build a friendship.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

The most interactions outside of the trinity were with Aquaman, but it was quite often sub-optimal written, and i remember quite a few interactions with Kyle Rayner but not much with other Green Lanterns except maybe a bit Guy Gardner.

She should definitively have more interactions with either Flash and Hal Jordan, and the idea to somewhat connect Cheetah to a Flash villain or to make her the direct connection as a speedster was not even half-bad although it would need some work, and in the past existing connections like the Green Lantern Procanon Kaa could get brought back to build up a stronger connection to Hal.

I do like when they depict Clark, Bruce, and Diana as friends, but I’ll admit she often suffers mischaracterization to heighten the characters of the other two when they’re all together.

I’ve always thought that Diana would never stand for being the the only woman on the team and would want more diversity on the team.

DC also needs to develop her friendships and relationships with other characters like Zatanna, Nightwing, Barbara Gordon, Black Canary, Hawkwoman (bring back Shayera!), Vixen, etc. It’d be a retcon, but it’d be interesting to see Diana, Clark, and Bruce be a little more friendly and intimate with the original sidekicks in the Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    There's been attempts in some recent years when it comes to female characters; some good like Zatanna in the JLD and others truly asinine like Harley Quinn.

Though I'm generally in favor of Diana not being particularly close/friendly with Batman, and Superman though to a lesser extent.
    She was also a mentor to Supergirl pre-Flashpoint.