Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    States only daughter.
    No, it doesn't. I skimmed it again and I didn't see "only daughter" anywhere. If I'm missing it, then which page and panel?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    No, it doesn't. I skimmed it again and I didn't see "only daughter" anywhere. If I'm missing it, then which page and panel?
    Why are you in denial? We already dicussed on this site she's the only female child. She now has a brother instead.

Incredible Member

Why are you in denial?
    I could ask you why you're throwing out this statement as fact without providing proper citation. Nowhere in that preview does it state she is an only female child. If there is another recent comic saying she is, then you should be able to provide the issue number, page, and panel. But you haven't. So either do so or give up.

We already dicussed on this site she's the only female child. She now has a brother instead.
    I don't follow every thread on these boards. Which thread and page and posts? And what comics where you discussing that lead you to this belief/theory? If Lucy lane has been explicitly been erased, you should be able to provide hard proof. IE, issue, page, and panel. Otherwise, you are just promoting your own theory as fact, and thus spreading misinformation.

Still, where are you people getting this idea from? What evidence makes you think she doesn't exist anymore? Otherwise you're just throwing out a theory and conjecture. What makes either of you think she doesn't exist?
    From the pages of Superman 28 (Dec 2020) by Bendis and Reis, page 14, panel 1, where is Lois Lane herself who explains she is an only daughter (Excerpt of the page in question here):

Evidence enough for you?
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 09-11-2021 at 01:28 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    From the pages of Superman 28 (Dec 2020) by Bendis and Reis, page 14, panel 1, where is Lois Lane herself who explains she is an only daughter (Excerpt of the page in question here):

Evidence enough for you?
    Ah, I boycotted Bendis run, over the Jon age up.

Which was published the same year as Lois as Lois Lane #6, which features an actual Lucy Lane appearance (She was also in issue 1 of that mini according to her appearance list.), and are both part of the same continuity, as both were published as part of the continuity before Death Metal, so reality alteration cannot be invoked as a explanation for the inconsistency. So we have two appearances, against one text caption. Which should be taken as more valid? And why?

You have managed point out a continuity error, but I would not classify it as conclusive evidence that Lucy has been erased from continuity. More than likely, it is just proof Bendis is a bad writer particularly with continuity, and his editor was likewise bad and not doing their job.

Though putting myself at challenge at no-prize, it could be possible the Lois's mother is not the same as Lucy's. Which could make Lucy adopted or stepsibling. This would work with Lois's line about being her mother's only daughter, as well as maintaining Lucy's existence (which were established in books published in the same year in the same continuity). Which seems like a better explanation than thinking Bendis Text caption overrides her previous appearances, that very same year.

Alternatively, Bendis caption seems to be the greater candidate for being thrown out of continuity as it is more clearly in error.

Regardless, I appreciate the effort having been put forth in explaining your belief, though I find it less authoritative than you do in light of other contradicting evidence.

Can we just retroactively erase anything Bendis has written from all DC continuity?

Or will the possible "Crisis" coming in 2022 maybe do that?

Evidence enough for you?
    What is it with this and Superman and Lois pretending Lucy doesn't exist? Can Lois Lane not have a sister now?

Astonishing Member

Always remember I am right and the king of facts.

Didn’t Lucy turn evil and die pre N52?

Ah, I boycotted Bendis run, over the Jon age up.
    I just quit to anything Bendis after I saw what he did to the Legion. If I am following Justice League it is for the JLD back up.
    Which was published the same year as Lois as Lois Lane #6, which features an actual Lucy Lane appearance (She was also in issue 1 of that mini according to her appearance list.), and are both part of the same continuity, as both were published as part of the continuity before Death Metal, so reality alteration cannot be invoked as a explanation for the inconsistency. So we have two appearances, against one text caption. Which should be taken as more valid? And why?
    You are right on that, Lucy appears on the Lois Lane series, but only once: she doesn't appear on issue 1, only on issue 6 (february, 2020). Sadly, the Lois Lane mini was a secondary series, wrote by a not by the main writer (even if Rucka is far better than Bendis in my opinion) and most probable less knew for most of the readers who overlooked it. Superman in this case is the prime series and wrote by a main writer, who is also writing the Justice League series right now, also a series with a higher number of readers than the Lois Lane mini, and insisting in the new Lane family status quo which betrays the essence of the Lane characters from decades. Also, the Lois Lane series happened before the proper Death Metal (august 2020 to march, 2021), which included a death and rebirth of the multiverse with several resurrections and in this case, a possible erasing.

You have managed point out a continuity error, but I would not classify it as conclusive evidence that Lucy has been erased from continuity. More than likely, it is just proof Bendis is a bad writer particularly with continuity, and his editor was likewise bad and not doing their job.
    On that I agree, partially, with you. And continuity errors is something than plagues Bendis writings. His Legion is a huge continuity error.

Though putting myself at challenge at no-prize, it could be possible the Lois's mother is not the same as Lucy's. Which could make Lucy adopted or stepsibling. This would work with Lois's line about being her mother's only daughter, as well as maintaining Lucy's existence (which were established in books published in the same year in the same continuity). Which seems like a better explanation than thinking Bendis Text caption overrides her previous appearances, that very same year.
    Than in that case, that would be throwing another shade of shallowness on Lois Lane. She doesn't consider Lucy his sister, by calling herself an "only daughter", even if Lucy is adopted? That it is not something you see on families with adopted siblings. Not at least if they are in good terms. But Lois is already a bad parent by abandoning her son with a weird old man on space, so maybe it is possible. I just wonder which is her attitute towards the Kents, in that case.

Alternatively, Bendis caption seems to be the greater candidate for being thrown out of continuity as it is more clearly in error.
    And more evidence has been given to support the case. Also it is not the first time than Bendis undo continuity (sometimes even if is continuity he himself wrote) to adjust what he is writing in a specific moment. And believe me, this is not something I am happy about.

Regardless, I appreciate the effort having been put forth in explaining your belief, though I find it less authoritative than you do in light of other contradicting evidence.
    I think it is not a belief if I can support with evidence such as dates, images and references. But I think you and me agree on our distate with (most of) Bendis work. I really am waiting for the moment than the 90% of his "brilliants" ideas are retconed out of continuity, including the replacemt of Lucy... (unless Leo is Lucy, but I already talked about that hypothesis in another forum).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Can we just retroactively erase anything Bendis has written from all DC continuity?

Or will the possible "Crisis" coming in 2022 maybe do that?
    That would be an excellent solution.

Incredible Member

Always remember I am right and the king of facts.
    More like king of misinterpreting facts.

What makes Bendis's text caption more authoritative than onscreen appearances in Rucka's Lois mini published the same year. Why do you give Bendis priority, instead of assuming that Bendis is just wrong and made a mistake, and his caption is invalid? Isn'6t that more likely than Lucy being deliberately erased from continuity?

You are right on that, Lucy appears on the Lois Lane series, but only once: she doesn't appear on issue 1, only on issue 6 (february, 2020). Sadly, the Lois Lane mini was a secondary series, wrote by a not by the main writer (even if Rucka is far better than Bendis in my opinion) and most probable less knew for most of the readers who overlooked it. Superman in this case is the prime series and wrote by a main writer, who is also writing the Justice League series right now, also a series with a higher number of readers than the Lois Lane mini,
    You see I don't consider Superman or Justice League to be a higher level of canon than Lois Lane. They take -place in the same continuity and have the same weight nominally. Lucy lane has a history of existing on the Prime Earth, as seen on panel. That trumps Bendis's obviously incorrect text caption. Having more readers or eyes on your work does not in of itself make it more authoritative. It simply means you're under more scrutiny.

Also, the Lois Lane series happened before the proper Death Metal (august 2020 to march, 2021), which included a death and rebirth of the multiverse with several resurrections and in this case, a possible erasing.
    As pointed out, so did Bendis's Superman. So that can not be properly invoked in this case.

Also I would feel her being deliberately erased would go against the point of Death Metal, which is to make everything canon.

Than in that case, that would be throwing another shade of shallowness on Lois Lane. She doesn't consider Lucy his sister, by calling herself an "only daughter", even if Lucy is adopted? That it is not something you see on families with adopted siblings. Not at least if they are in good terms. But Lois is already a bad parent by abandoning her son with a weird old man on space, so maybe it is possible. I just wonder which is her attitute towards the Kents, in that case.
    Though the way it's phrased from that panel, Lois could just be putting her self in her mother's mind, which would translate to Lois's mother and Lucy being on bad terms. Though neither is an explanation I like, but rather just taking a stab at a no-prize. Simply disregarding Bendis's caption is simply better, I 'd say.

I think it is not a belief if I can support with evidence such as dates, images and references.
    Is there additional evidence not presented? Well, if you want to believe that a single text cap from a writer who is demonstrably bad at continuity is enough to invalidate a history of on page appearances in the same continuity, including those published the same year, I don't think I'll be able to convince you otherwise, as I'm sure you've already made up your mind. But to me as it stands it's far from conclusive evidence.
    Last edited by Artemisfanboy; 09-11-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Is there additional evidence not presented? Well, if you want to believe that a single text cap from a writer who is demonstrably bad at continuity is enough to invalidate a history of on page appearances in the same continuity, including those published the same year, I don't think I'll be able to convince you otherwise, as I'm sure you've already made up your mind. But to me as it stands it's far from conclusive evidence.
    That last phrase was like a self description on yourself. Published evidence are given to you and still rejected it. I'm not happy with that development, but I understood, to my distaste, than right now Bendis IS the canon. Hey, I wish you are right and this is a misinterpretation given the bad handling of the continuity on Bendis writting, but after the same guy give another uneccesary reboot to the Legion, and changed relationships at his whim, the erasing of Lucy Lane is not something than should surprise us.

Basically you took a stand and neither you or me are going to give on the other. Any evidence given you reject and any explanation is depiste any argument exposed. In that case better leave it the discussion here, because it is an steril effort. If Lucy appears again, I will accept my mistake, and I will celebrate it. But I doubt than you would accept than Lucy would had been erased, even if Lois Lane said on panel "I have only one brother".

Incredible Member

That last phrase was like a self description on yourself. Published evidence are given to you and still rejected it. I'm not happy with that development, but I understood, to my distaste, than right now Bendis IS the canon. Hey, I wish you are right and this is a misinterpretation given the bad handling of the continuity on Bendis writting, but after the same guy give another uneccesary reboot to the Legion, and changed relationships at his whim, the erasing of Lucy Lane is not something than should surprise us.

Basically you took a stand and neither you or me are going to give on the other. Any evidence given you reject and any explanation is depiste any argument exposed. In that case better leave it the discussion here, because it is an steril effort. If Lucy appears again, I will accept my mistake, and I will celebrate it. But I doubt than you would accept than Lucy would had been erased, even if Lois Lane said on panel "I have only one brother".
    But Bendis is not the sole canon. He is one of many work for hired writers, working in a shared setting, building on the works of previous writers. He is just another cook in the kitchen, and in my opinion, not a very good one. Thus one must provide additional reason why a single text caption from him, that would seem to be clearly an error, should be considered canon over clearly pre-established canon of appearances.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Bendis just should not be given (and should accept the fact that he can't write) large scale super-heroics. He's great with the more down to earth heroes like Daredevil, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones....I think he might even be great with Green Arrow or Manhunter. But man he stinks with larger than life group heroes like the Avengers, the Legion and the League. At least with Young Justice we got Conner back. I really wish we had a different writer for the Justice League.